This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New With Questions

popoki321

popoki321 Rookie

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is a little long.

I am here because my doctor thinks I may have Celiac Disease and I have some questions. I have had blood tests (not sure which tests) and the Dr. feels the results indicate I could have this disease. I am scheduled for an endoscopy/biopsy this Friday morning.

My Dr. has been wonderful and encouraged me to look up Celiac Disease on a search engine and I was lucky enough to come across this web forum.

After all the reading I've been doing about Celiac Disease, I think I could definitely have this disease.

I'm 34 and have suffered with IBS symptoms since my late teens.

A few months ago I wound up in the hospital for a severe pain in my left side, which turned out to be Diverticulitis. I had a very severe infection and was in the hospital for a week. I was unaware that I had this condition.

After coming out of the hospital I was still in alot of pain, especially on my left side. My Gastro thought I should have a colonoscopy to make sure that everything was ok. At the time I had the colonoscopy , the Dr. ordered some blood work as well.

This is when I got the news that he thinks I may have celiac disease.

Thinking back to a few years ago when I was on the Atkins Diet, I felt great- not 100%, but much better than usual. I remember commenting to my boyfriend how great my stomach was feeling all the time.

I can't imagine how great I will feel if I am completely gluten free.

Don't get me wrong, I am also scared, worried and freaking out that I am going to have to change everything I ever knew about eating.

I am already limited as to what I can eat because of the diverticulitis, so having celiac disease will make it even more difficult but my health and feeling good is the most important thing to me right now. I will do whatever I need to keep myself healthy.

I'm currently on NutriSystem to lose some weight but I know I will have to go off if I am diagnosed. The doctor told not to change my diet until after the endoscopy. I still want to lose some weight before June, when I am getting married.

It definitely helps to know there is such a great support system out there.

A few questions:

Will I know the results right away, at the time of the test or does the biopsy have to be sent off for testing? If so, How long does it usually take?

Does anyone else have Diverticulitis? Is this common among people with celiac disease?

Can I still eat fat free/light yogurt if I have celiac disease ?

I'm sure I'll have a million more questions so please bear with me. I'm new at this!

Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Welcome! I hope that your biopsy goes well on Friday. They will have to send the biopsies to the lab. However, I called my doctors office 2 days after my biopsy and I got my results. I didn't wait for the doctor to call me because I was too impateinet, so I just called them. Please free free to ask questions and we will try our best to help. Also, don't hesitate to ask for meal ideas and recipes.

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

Sorry I can't answer all of your questions...I'm fairly new to this myself!

Please please please check those yogurt labels carefully. Some are ok, but I learned the hard way that some brands and some flavors do contain wheat starch. I've heard that Yoplait is ok, but I can't confirm that. My local grocery store labels all of their store brand products with a "G" to indicate gluten free, so I buy a lot of their own store products.

Good luck! And ask any questions you need to. This forum is a lifesaver!

IronedOut Apprentice

I had to wait on my biopsy results, but they recommended a gluten-free diet just from the visual on the endoscopy. There are yogurts out there, just be sure to read the label!

Sorry I can't answer all of your questions...I'm fairly new to this myself!

Please please please check those yogurt labels carefully. Some are ok, but I learned the hard way that some brands and some flavors do contain wheat starch. I've heard that Yoplait is ok, but I can't confirm that. My local grocery store labels all of their store brand products with a "G" to indicate gluten free, so I buy a lot of their own store products.

Good luck! And ask any questions you need to. This forum is a lifesaver!

Hey Al - If you don't name the grocery store, you're just a tease!!

jerseyangel Proficient

I had to wait a week and a half for the results of my biopsy, but the Dr. told me to begin the gluten free/dairy free diet the day of the biopsy.

Yogurt--check the labels--especially the lite or fat free ones.

GlutenFreeAl Contributor
Hey Al - If you don't name the grocery store, you're just a tease!!

Sorry. I shop at Wegmans. I think they're only in NY and PA. They're very aware of food sensitivities and even before the new labeling law would label things as lactose free, gluten free, vegan, etc.

If you're ever in the area, check them out!

hez Enthusiast

Based on my blood work I was told to go gluten-free before my endoscopy. Had my endoscopy 3 or 4 weeks after that. My gi doc could not find one villi standing up. So she was positive I had celiac before the results came back. I think it took about a week for them to call.

I like to eat Mountain High Yogurt (says gluten-free on the label) and mix in honey and frozen fruit. Welcome to the board :)

Hez

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IronedOut Apprentice

Wegman's has seriously expanded - they are now in NJ, MD, VA and DE. Yeah!

Spoke to quickly - coming SOON to Delaware.

Guest nini

regardless of the results of your test results, just as soon as you are done with your endoscopy, go ahead and start the diet. the thing with the Atkins diet, is that the majority of the diet is naturally gluten free, at least the first stage of it... My mom had a tremendous amount of success on that diet, which leads me to conclude that she most likely has Celiac too... she's had symptoms as long as I can remember, but she won't get tested and she won't try the diet now...

even if your test results aren't conclusive, give the diet a good effort... really go at it 100% and monitor your symptoms...

good luck with it and feel free to ask any questions that come up.

popoki321 Rookie

Thanks so much for all the kind words and for answering some of my questions.

QUOTE(GlutenFreeAl @ Feb 1 2006, 03:40 PM)

Sorry. I shop at Wegmans. I think they're only in NY and PA. They're very aware of food sensitivities and even before the new labeling law would label things as lactose free, gluten free, vegan, etc.

I have been to Wegmans supermarket when I was in Buffalo for work but the closest one to where I live is about 2 1/2 hours away. I wish more supermarkets would do what Wegmans has started.

I'm not nervous about the biopsy, I just want it to be over with and have a definitive answer.

Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes.

Archived