This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Clan Thompson

Moongirl

Moongirl Community Regular

Im thinking of getting the clan thompson list on my Palm, just was curious to see who uses it and if you find it helpful?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

I have it and I love it. So much easier than piles of paper or books. It doesn't have everything, obviously, but its so nice to be able to stand in the store and look something up to make a decision. I got the one with the updates, so I'll keep getting new info. I got the drugs and the Food.

Elonwy

jenvan Collaborator

I think its great. As Elonwy said, It isn't totally comprehensive, but I have used it many times when shopping and just the other day is saved my butt over a beverage at a bowling alley :) Def recommend.

plantime Contributor

I have definitely missed something, as I don't even know what the Clan Thomson's list is. Any links to it?

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I downloaded it when I was first diagnosed but I don't use it that much. I find a rely more on the Delphi lists, or at this point what is just kinda commited to memory.

I find the easiest thing if I want to try a new product is to just read the ingredients and if I am not 100% sure, call the company.

elonwy Enthusiast

My problem with the Delphi lists are that they aren't very portable ( the files too big for my palm and scrolling through giant docs on a tiny screen is horrible) and I haven't seen an updated version since last april, which makes me nervous. The Delphi lists do have tons of stuff, though, which makes them very useful.

Open Original Shared Link

They have awesome stuff. I always read ingredients despite whatever list or resource I'm using, just to be super safe, but having the software on my Paml has been a life saver.

Elonwy

VydorScope Proficient

Ive considered it, but I do not have a Palm Pilot, so its pretty pointelss to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lpellegr Collaborator

I love the Clan Thompson list for the Palm - it seemed expensive, but it has been a really good investment. Many times I end up in the grocery store or in front of a vending machine or at a food court looking up what I can eat. The updates are great - it feels better than relying on a year-old printed list. And besides, you can put games on your Palm and play solitaire while waiting for your number to come up at the deli counter (for the rest of the family - I'm not eating anything from shared slicers!).

Mahee34 Enthusiast

ok so this clan thompson.............i just got an email saying that it is stating that cocoa pebbles and fruity pebbles are NOT gluten free..........anyone hear this, i'll be really upset if this is true.

VydorScope Proficient
ok so this clan thompson.............i just got an email saying that it is stating that cocoa pebbles and fruity pebbles are NOT gluten free..........anyone hear this, i'll be really upset if this is true.

I have serval boxes in my closet, and there are no gluten ingredinents listed.

Mahee34 Enthusiast

no i know i do too.....but it was a recent post aparently. hope this isn't like that mcdonald's thing

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

That is unbelievable that you asked that question! I have downloaded the trials of "gluten guard" and "clan thompson" -- and my husband and I were comparing them :D

We are thinking of the Clan Thompson one particularly because it has the "ingredient checker" -- I think it looked pretty good. Considering that most of the people here who have it, really like it, we'll probably go with that. Jen is also kind of my "celiac guru", so if she uses it, it has to be very good, and must not have many flaws. She is SOOOOO informed.

Thanks for bringing it up -- I was too afraid to!

ehrin Explorer

I just bought a Palm yesterday (although there is a black line running through the screen, so I have to return the damn thing) specifically for the Clan Thompson list. My question is...what happens when your subscription runs out? Do you pay the $59.95 again in 12 months? Or is there a smaller "renewal" fee?

Thanks

Ehrin

VydorScope Proficient

I have serval boxes in my closet, and there are no gluten ingredinents listed.

VERFIED AS OF THIS POST DIRECTLY BY CALLING KRAFT - NORMAL FRUITY AND COCOA PEBBLES ARE STILL GLUTEN FREE NO CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE.

There is a NEW version of peebles out with MARSHMELLOWS that is not gluten-free. Prehaps some one made a mistake?

Don't know about the renewal fee for the Clan Thompson stuff . . . I do know that, if you e-mail them with a question, they reply to you within 2 hours. It was pretty impressive. They also said that, for their updates, if you request specific products which you eat which are not on the list, they will try their best to include them on the next update. I was pretty happy with the responses which I got. Surprisingly fast responses, and the girl who responded appeared to not withhold any information. Pretty unusual, in a very good way!

VydorScope Proficient
Don't know about the renewal fee for the Clan Thompson stuff . . . I do know that, if you e-mail them with a question, they reply to you within 2 hours. It was pretty impressive. They also said that, for their updates, if you request specific products which you eat which are not on the list, they will try their best to include them on the next update. I was pretty happy with the responses which I got. Surprisingly fast responses, and the girl who responded appeared to not withhold any information. Pretty unusual, in a very good way!

Heck Im not even a client, and I emailed them about this pebbles mix up (turns out Clan Thompson got bad info, i posted thier reply else where) and got a reply back very fast. A real reply too, not a "shut up and go a way" type reply. :)

I need look up how much they charge...

It's not bad . . . it's 89.95 (I think) for a year on a Palm and they will give you the software for your PC as well . . . with updates every 12 weeks. I didn't think that was very much. It's less than Gluten Guard. It seems pretty "user friendly", as well. Dave and I were comparing the two, and even though the Gluten Guard has a LOT more products listed, it doesn't have the dates on which the ingredients were confirmed, and it doesn't contain the entire company address/phone listing.

It's worth the effort to download the sample . . . we did for both, then compared the two.

jaten Enthusiast

About 1/2way down this page Open Original Shared Link they've posted a correction.

I have the Delphi lists printed, but updates are rare and it's all in a large notebook.

I want to thank Elonwy. In one of the posts I read that you bought a palm for the purpose of carrying the CT list with you. Heck! I have a Palm!!! Why did it not occur to me to make this purchase?

Sometimes I just need to be hit in the head with a good idea :) I agree $89.95 is not a high price for a year's worth of reasonable safety/convenience.

Anybody know....do the subsequent years also cost $89.95 or is there a price break after the first investment? Either way it's worth it I think.

What a wonderful community here! I have learned so much from all of you. It's the one place I know I can find good info. :)

Welcome, Jaten! As a newbie, you ain't seen nothin' yet!!! The folks on this forum are so knowledgeable, so informed, and so kind -- you wouldn't believe it. They are also very willing to share their information with you, and even make you laugh about your disease when you thought that it was the LAST thing you'd ever do!! When I first started going gluten-free, I was lost . . . they were a lifeline, for sure. Now, I consider them "forum friends"! You're definitely in the right place.

• 3 weeks later...
munchkinette Collaborator

Question- if you find foods that aren't on the CT list can you enter them into the program or somehow put them on your palm pilot? I'm going to get this soon, but I don't actually have a palm pilot yet. (Friend is selling her old one for cheap) If not, can you send in products for the next update?

jaten Enthusiast
Question- if you find foods that aren't on the CT list can you enter them into the program or somehow put them on your palm pilot? I'm going to get this soon, but I don't actually have a palm pilot yet. (Friend is selling her old one for cheap) If not, can you send in products for the next update?

Munchkinette, as the program is written, there is no way to edit/add an entry. That's one of the shortcoming (imo) of the program. I plan to play around with it this coming week (being in education, I still get Spring Break....yippee). There may be a way to get into the database, but haven't had a chance to look closely.

I have the Clan Thompson subscription for food and drugs. I love it. I have e-mailed them asking if they could include other products (I don't have access to a large portion of what they cover). They replied quickly and very friendly, that if I would provide more specifically what brands/stores are in this area, they would do what they could to research and include stuff that's more readily available in the Mid-South region. I haven't done that yet, but I wll do that next week, too. I want to be certain that what I request is not stuff that will just benefit yours truly, but the MidSouth region.

I have also converted the Delphi list to .pdf and then to a format for Palm Adobe Reader. It's still a tad cumbersome, but I'm very pleased with it. The table of contents became links so that clicking one of those items will take you to the start of that section (eg, Condiments and Sauces).

I'll keep Clan Thompson because it is updated more often, and is a great quick reference.

I plan to have a go with the Silly Yak Restaurant Guide. It didn't convert cleanly to .pdf, but I'll work on that.

My Treo 650 is Celiac-Friendly :D

Archived