This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Does It Take You To Get "well" After Being Gluttened?

key

key Contributor

I know we have discussed this, but I was wondering how long it takes you guys to get over the stomach symptoms of being gluttened? I am trying to figure out if I am still getting gluten or if it is dairy or what? I am frustrated that I am not doing better at this. I have decided to not cook gluten for my kids anymore. I felt SO awesome for like four months gluten free and now can't seem to get back to feeling well.

I started getting heartburn about a month ago and didn't relate it to gluten at first, but now I am wondering if it may be that. I gave up caffeine and seemed to feel better for almost a week, but then now at night my lower stomach is just miserable. I don't know how else to describe it. My BM's aren't normal again yet. It has been about 11 days since I know I had gluten. I guess dairy is the next thing to give up, but I am honestly getting depressed over all of this. I just want to get better. I did find out too that Stonyfields yogurt may have gluten. WHen I called them they told me that they had distilled vinegar in it and that was what was in their natural flavoring, so I thought that distilled vinegar was ok. THen when I read yesterday on their website, non of it made sense and it sounds like they may add wheat to it. I feel like my diet is so restrictive. I would look into the SCD diet, but I don't eat meat, so feel like it would be very limiting.

I am at the point that I feel like just not eating anything anymore. SOmetimes I just want to stop eating! I feel very up and down with all of this. Somedays are better and I feel in control of my life and then bam, I am down again! I just had the "flu" virus too for a week. Fever, aches, etc. I catch every bug that comes around. I have three little kids to take care of. I do cook! I really try quite hard at all of this, so I am frustrated.

I guess I am venting and thanks for listening.

Monica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ebrbetty Rising Star

It normally takes me a few days, if I get glutened my mistake..

have you tried Kava Coffee for the heartburn? I have can get terrible heartburn/ Gerd and since I switched last year its helped..Google it and you'll see its made to help w/ heartburn, its 90% acid reduced.

I also sleep with a 6 inch wedge, one of the best ideas from my Dr.

I had to give up dairy too :angry: and most all chocolate, no spicy foods, VERY LITTLE butter, no sauce, no mayo

I have days when I think I'm healing and other times were I go for about a week straight when I feel I want to give up and order a big ol' sub. it can be very frustrating

hope I could help

((hugs))

Betty

Guest nini

Stoneyfield Farms yogurt is safe... they just have a standard disclaimer to cover their butts on the website on the advice of their attorney. I eat Stoneyfield Farms yogurts with no problems and so does my daughter, and both of us are extremely hypersensitive to minute amounts of gluten.

Oh and to answer your question, normally I'm over the worst of an accidental glutening in a few days, but it takes a good three weeks to get back to feeling "normal"

Moongirl Community Regular
Stoneyfield Farms yogurt is safe... they just have a standard disclaimer to cover their butts on the website on the advice of their attorney. I eat Stoneyfield Farms yogurts with no problems and so does my daughter, and both of us are extremely hypersensitive to minute amounts of gluten.

Oh and to answer your question, normally I'm over the worst of an accidental glutening in a few days, but it takes a good three weeks to get back to feeling "normal"

Do you also have the flavored stoneyfield yogurt as well?

Lollie Enthusiast

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad! :( I know how you feel about not wanting to eat anything at all, I have definately been there for a big part of my life! I have only been gluten-free for a little over 2 months, I'm feeling pretty well, I hope it continues.......but who knows! I don't cook gluten in my house at all. I have 2 kids and husband who can have gluten, but it's just not worth it to me to have it in the house at all. I'm not a good enough house keeper to risk the CC! :P

When I think I've had gluten, it has taken about a day for the worst part and up to a week for all of it to get out! I've considered eleminateing dairy too, but I just can't do it yet! I think I would double check everything and make sure your not getting any gluten and I'd stop cooking gluten too! See if it helps before eleminateing anything else!

Good luck, and I hope this helps a little! :)

Lollie

lorka150 Collaborator

Hi Monica,

I am also looking into the SCD but I am hardly a meat eater. Please keep me posted if you decide to give it a try, as it would be nice to have you along with me on the journey.

key Contributor

Betty,

I will look into that coffee, but I have heard that even decaf can give people trouble. The reason I think something else is bothering me and may be that I am getting gluttened, is that I feel that I have been gluttened lately. I had Kettle chips and didn't check about CC. Also had the yogurt. I also haven't been careful lately about products like shampoo. I also have had the Bob's Redmill hot cereal and think this bothers me. So no more of that. The heartburn hasn't been terrible since going off of caffeine and i didn't have it at all for like 5 days off the Prilosec. I actually thought it was just caffeine causing it, but now I am thinking gluten, because I used to have heartburn before gluten free almost a year ago and remembered being gluttened a few times months ago and getting it. It is frustrating though. I went to a GI doctor and he did NOTHING. Told me to keep taking Prilosec. Well thanks, but why am I having heartburn?? It isn't just that. I have other GI issues too. My lower stomach at night especially feels bloated and just overactive. It just seems to spasm or something strange. I slipped today with the caffeine and had sweet tea. Ugh! I am such a loser, but I did GREAT on this diet for like six months and then I tried reintroducing McCann's oats back in the end of September and that is when everything got bad. I ate them for weeks before I realized how miserable they were making me. Then my doctor told me to do the gluten challenge to be sure it was wheat and not just plain old IBS! SO I thought I would try and so I have "attempted" it several times, only to make myself sick and unable to continue eating it for any benefit of a biopsy. I hate not having my mom and family be supportive and thought if I just had "proof" then I would help them believe it! My husband does believe it, just by the changes. I have had many positive changes, but the last few months I have been gluttened so many times, It would be hard to know! I am now recommitted to not care what anyone else says about what I eat. Part of the problem is I think I became more sensitive as time went on and that is why I felt SO great for like 4-6 months. I feel like a nut case, but I know what you mean about giving up when you feel like crud anyway. THat is what I did 11 days ago!! BIG mistake. I figured, well I will have the biopsy, but I can't afford to be sick for weeks without anyone to take care of my kids and I wouldn't probably figure much out anyway. IN the beginning the GI doctor told me he thought I did have celiac, because I had borderline blood results aftering being gluten-free for like 2 months already. Then the next time I go back, he said that maybe it was just IBS and was doubting everything and made me doubt it too. So I am starting fresh and realizing that I DO indeed have some kind of gluten intolerance and I don't care what anyone else tells me.

Lollie,

Yeah, I am going to look for CC and not cook gluten for my family. I don't ever willing cheat, but thought I would try and do the biopsy, etc. and have attempted this several times. Plus I think I have had some by accident. HOpefully once I heal from the last episode, the dairy may not bother me.

Lorka,

Yeah, I will look into the SCD and think about it. I don't know much about it yet, but I will let you know. I think I will give myself a few more days to feel better. INitially I felt great gluten-free for like 4 months, so I am hoping to get back on track somehow. I need to keep a food journal. THat may be my best bet first off, but I am just rebelling against giving up anymore foods! My mom thinks I am anorexic now and I am not. I eat, but just don't seem to gain weight. Even I think I look I little bit cruddy lately! HA! I am too young to have so many digestive problems.

THanks for listening and sorry this got so long!

MOnica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

It depends on how badly glutened I got. If it is minimal it can take a day or three if it is severe, then it takes much longer.

aikiducky Apprentice

It takes me about three weeks before everything is completely back to normal. If I get glutened again during that time it takes another three weeks plus some.

Actually it sounds like you have been glutened quite often in the last months? It might take a while to get over that again.

Pauliina

Guest Robbin

I have been badly glutened by Kettle chips. I don't know what it is, but I just can't tolerate them. (Too bad, they are sooo good) A number of people here have been bothered by Bob's Redmill products, so I haven't used them for that reason. The longer I am gluten free, the more sensitive I get and realize just how crappy I felt before. This may be happening to you. One of the advantages of this forum is that you get the experiences and knowledge of so many people who have "been there, done that"! It is very helpful, especially in this society where people just don't have the time or relatives are spread out across the country. It's like a family. We are all here for you and each other. :) Take care and keep us posted on your recovery ups and downs. Who knows who you may be helping by your experiences, right?

Guest nini
Do you also have the flavored stoneyfield yogurt as well?

Yes I have. I currently get the Cascade Fresh flavored yogurts because they clearly label gluten-free... I try to support companies that do this. But up until I discovered them several months ago, I ate all the flavors of Stoneyfield. I also get the yogurt tubes by them and I freeze them, they make awesome popsicles! My daughter and I both love them.

I was under the impression that Kettle Chips were not gluten-free, or could not be guaranteed gluten-free because of cc.

I also recently got glutened by cheap coffee.

penguin Community Regular

I got badly glutened by Kettle Chips. It was my first glutening, actually. I've also been glutened by Bob's Red Mill so I don't eat anything by that company either.

A lot of Lay's products are gluten-free. I miss the kettle chips, they were good, but not good enough to suffer like I did to eat them :rolleyes:

key Contributor

Thanks for the tip on the Kettle chips and I will definitely not eat Bob's Redmill again. I thought maybe it was all in my head, but I ate it several times and same problem each time. It doesn't agree with me.

Yeah, I think my problem is being gluttened so much recently that I don't even know what normal is anymore. If I can just get myself back to normal, then I can know what is bothering me. I am going to go to a pretty basic diet for awhile with foods that are made in a gluten free plant without any other gluten or fresh stuff. Hopefully this will help for awhile.

Someone mentioned coffee. Is Maxwell house Hazelnut coffee gluten free?? I thought that almost all coffee's were and failed to check this one. I will look for it myself too.

Thanks guys. I am feeling better today and hopefully if I can avoid gluten, I can get better.

Monica

lorka150 Collaborator

just so everyone knows, bob's red mill has two plants - one that is gluten-free and one that isn't.

some of the 'gluten-free' flours and whatnot are made in the non-gluten-free plant.

i was glutened for the longest time unknowingly from the carob, assuming that it was okay because he made gluten-free products and it's gluten-free... anyway, it was in the other plant.

just so you guys know.

Archived