Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):



Join eNewsletter
12 12
AriannaH

Celiac Symptoms Resurfacing after diagnosed

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Are gluten free oats ok? I get my lab test results back tomorrow for the blood test. I had them run everything that you'll said and anything she could think of. If nothing comes from that I am definitely trying the elimination diet but I never done one before. How do I do an elimination diet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is believed that about 10% of Celiacs react the same way to oats as they do to wheat, barley and rye. But there has always been this question mark surrounding that figure as to whether that happens because the oats that have been cross contaminated with one of those other grains. The only thing to do would be try eliminating oats from your diet for awhile. 

I have found that buckwheat (no relation to wheat) is about the easiest grain for my GI to handle. I eat gluten-free buckwheat groats for breakfast sometimes. I mention that in case you are looking for a breakfast cereal alternative. Technically, it's not a cereal grain but a seed that comes from a plant related to rhubarb. You might give it a try. It is also more nutritious than common cereal grains.

Edited by trents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Trents is correct.  I reacted strongly to regular gluten free oats, various brands including Bob's gluten free which is processed at a dedicated facility.  Remember gluten free by legal definition is less than 20ppm, which is not low enough for Celiac's.  And since oats are easily cross contaminated in growing and harvesting and maybe transportation, even gluten free oats that meet the legal limit will not be ok for Celiac's.  I can eat them but they have to be Purity Protocol oats, which have standards for how far away from the bad gluten grains they are grown, etc.  You can search the internet for a list of brands that follow this stricter standard.  I like steel cut oats and get these from Amazon (gluten-free Harvest brand.):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBSHC7R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have never reacted to these and have them about once a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DJFL77I said:

So not even certified gluten free is lower than 20ppm?

Certified gluten-free products might be contain anything up to a maximum of 20 ppm. The "certified" part means this has been verified by an independent testing lab. Non certified products labeled simply "Gluten Free" is a less exacting designation and may refer only to the fact that gluten containing ingredients are not knowingly included in the product formulation. It does not rule out the possibility that there was unintentional cross contamination of some ingredients beforehand or during production. Some companies, like Bob's Red Mill, have their own testing lab and the analysis is done in house to determine if a product exceeds 20 ppm before they label it gluten free. The potential problem with that is that the reliability and accuracy of the testing method used may not be as good as what the independent labs use. So, the long and short of all this is that "Certified Gluten Free" can be more trustworthy than simply "Gluten Free." 

This is my understanding of the difference in the two designations but someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by trents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DJFL77I said:

Freshly baked stuff from dedicated gluten free bakeries has no gluten at all?

Not necessarily. That would only be true if the ingredients themselves which they receive from their suppliers has not be cross contaminated. This is where individual sensitivities come into play. A very low amount of gluten, lower than 20 ppm, may still cause reactions for some celiacs but not for others. 20 ppm does not work for all Celiacs but for most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, trents said:

Certified gluten-free products might be contain anything up to a maximum of 20 ppm. The "certified" part means this has been verified by an independent testing lab. Non certified products labeled simply "Gluten Free" is a less exacting designation and may refer only to the fact that gluten containing ingredients are not knowingly included in the product formulation. It does not rule out the possibility that there was unintentional cross contamination of some ingredients beforehand or during production. Some companies, like Bob's Red Mill, have their own testing lab and the analysis is done in house to determine if a product exceeds 20 ppm before they label it gluten free. The potential problem with that is that the reliability and accuracy of the testing method used may not be as good as what the independent labs use. So, the long and short of all this is that "Certified Gluten Free" can be more trustworthy than simply "Gluten Free." 

This is my understanding of the difference in the two designations but someone correct me if I am wrong.

In Canada they cannot put gluten free on the label even if there is no ingredients that have gluten in it. If the gluten free product is produced in the same location where other products that do contain gluten are made it is not gluten free. So you cannot trust it by just reading the label. Certified gluten free products would be your best choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 5:13 PM, AriannaH said:

I have had Celiac disease since I was 10 and my symptoms of Celiac disease slowly started to fade into nothingness. It was amazing the first day I woke up and my stomacg did not hurt and I did not throw up. But since last year at 17 my symptoms started resurfacing and my doctor does not know what to do. My GI said all my Celiac panels were normal but my symptoms are recurring. The recent symptoms are not as bad as they were when I was little. I have followed a strict gluten free diet and I am not sure why my symptoms are resurfacing. Is anyone else facing this problem? Is there something I can do?

Dear AriannaH, I suggest you to have a test in order to make sure if you are allergic to nickel as the number of people who have this type of serious allergy is recently skyrocketing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 6:53 AM, Neytiri said:

Dear AriannaH, I suggest you to have a test in order to make sure if you are allergic to nickel as the number of people who have this type of serious allergy is recently skyrocketing. 

 

Hello AriannaH, 

FODMAP intolerance can create persistent digestive symptoms such as bloating, gas and diarrhea even after gluten is eliminated. This is because many other foods beyond wheat contain FODMAP sugars.

https://theceliacmd.com/top-5-reasons-for-persistent-symptoms-after-going-gluten-free/#:~:text=FODMAP intolerance can create persistent,beyond wheat contain FODMAP sugars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dairy was also a problem for me when I was first diagnosed. I went off it for 2 years and slowly brought it back in my diet.

I was just recently told that being deficient if thiamine is a cause of pain in muscles. To remedy this I am going to take a Complex vitamin B vitamin and magnesium which helps it to digest.

Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good advice. Many prepared foods, energy bars, protein bars, etc. contain inulins and alcohol sugars that are difficult for many people to break down.

By the way, Sharona, I love your name. Never heard that one before. Is it a family name?

Edited by trents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sharona said:

Dairy was also a problem for me when I was first diagnosed. I went off it for 2 years and slowly brought it back in my diet.

I was just recently told that being deficient if thiamine is a cause of pain in muscles. To remedy this I am going to take a Complex vitamin B vitamin and magnesium which helps it to digest.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Earworm.... 

😆


Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trents said:

What is earworm? A rock group or a performer? Sorry, I don't follow the Hollywood/entertainment industry scene. 

I do not either but I remember this song when I was growing up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trents said:

What is earworm? A rock group or a performer? Sorry, I don't follow the Hollywood/entertainment industry scene. 

Stuck song syndrome!  You can not get that catchy phrase out of your head.   MMMMMY Sharona!  Danced to that song a lot!  


Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember that song but I remember the one about beans in your ears. You look young Sharona so I'm sure that one is not in your memory. It's from the 1960s.

 

Edited by trents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Stuck song syndrome!  You can not get that catchy phrase out of your head.   MMMMMY Sharona!  Danced to that song a lot!  

 

9 minutes ago, Sharona said:

I do not either but I remember this song when I was growing up. 

 

7 minutes ago, trents said:

I don't remember that song but I remember the one about beans in your ears. You look young Sharona so I'm sure that one is not in your memory. It's from the 1960s.

 

I just looked up that song and wow that would definately never make you forget beans in your ears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
12 12