Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Rye is one of the grains that has gluten in it that people with celiac disease react to, so no, there is no such thing as gluten free rye bread.

As mentioned Rye itself contains gluten, best thing I have been able to do was make homemade gluten free bread with gluten free flours and used caraway seeds to help with that flavor. I played with that nearly 5 years ago so I do not recall the recipes.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

2 hours ago, marriedmomm said:

I would like to know if there is such a thing as gluten-free rye bread? I haven’t been able to find any anywhere.

Canyon Bakehouse has a pretty good gluten-free "rye" bread. No rye in it but it does taste quite like the rye bread I remember. I eat it frequently toasted with gobs of butter. I find it in the frezzer section of my local Wegmans but am sure it is also available elsewhere. Oh and as a bonus if you have issues with soy (I do) it is also soy free.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Three Bakers, one of Celicac.com sponsors (who help make this forum possible), has a rye version my hubby likes.  Tastes like rye, but no real rye.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

On 9/29/2020 at 2:09 AM, ravenwoodglass said:

Canyon Bakehouse has a pretty good gluten-free "rye" bread. No rye in it but it does taste quite like the rye bread I remember. I eat it frequently toasted with gobs of butter. I find it in the frezzer section of my local Wegmans but am sure it is also available elsewhere. Oh and as a bonus if you have issues with soy (I do) it is also soy free.

Thanks a lot! I was looking for an alternative to rye bread as it's really something I miss a lot since being diagnosed, I hope it's imported where I live, though.

I've had gluten-free bread before that I just know was meant to taste like rye. I did not like it though. I think the main herb they used was either anise or something like anise. They went overboard. I was diagnosed as an adult and well remember the deliciousness of rye bread.

Diagnosed with Celiac in 2010. Diagnosed with sleep apnea 2018.