This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has Anyone Gotten Covid Shot(s) Yet?

Kate333

Kate333 Rising Star

I got an email "invite" from my health insurance company today urging me to make an appt. for Covid vaccine. 

While I have always gotten an annual flu shot for years with no side-effects, etc., I wanted to hear from anyone else with experience getting the vaccine before I decide on timing.  I know the vaccine has no "live" virus but, as a person who still experiences digestion/IBS/anxiety/food and dust allergy issues on a fairly regular basis a year after my celiac disease diagnosis, I'm not sure if my immune system is still too compromised/fragile to proceed now.  I am VERY careful about following protocol with masks (double, triple), social distance, avoid large crowds, work exclusively at home, etc.  Of course, I don't want Covid, and the new rapidly mutating "variants" do worry me!  And I am so grateful that these vaccines have been developed and distributed so soon.  But, at the same time, I don't wish to further shock my already frazzled nervous system (and other parts of my body) by introducing a new (albeit "dead") virus into my body before people with suppressed immune systems have been adequately studied in Covid vaccine trials.  

Thanks for any comments, esp. from those with experience with shots or professional medical training.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor

I’m not sure why celiac disease would mean you have a compromised/fragile/suppressed immune system? If anything, the immune system in celiac patients is a bit too active, attacking self. Some people with other autoimmune diseases do have suppressed immune systems but because of medications taken to treat their diseases.

I’ve had both shots of the Moderna vaccine.  First shot just had a sore arm.  Second shot had sore arm plus chills, headache and nausea. These are all expected side effects.

cristiana Veteran

Hi Kate

As I understand it, for the most part Coeliacs in the UK are categorised as a more at risk group so are in Group 6.  This is to do with spleen issues, a matter that has been covered in other threads.  So I was really thrilled to be invited.

However, I felt ghastly the week before my jab.  I actually thought of postponing it - I was suffering from a UTI, migraine and gastritis.  I couldn't bear the thought of feeling even worse, if the jab had side-effects.  The long and the short of it is my GP said I should still go ahead, and the fact I was taking antibiotics for my UTI wasn't a problem.  I did ask a couple of my friends to say a prayer for me as I was dreading feeling even worse. 

Anyway, on the day of the jab (last Saturday) I had begun to feel better and when I did have the jab (Astra Zeneca) the only side-effect was feeling a bit stiff in my arms and shoulders, as if I'd been working out in the gym (although there, I do have to confess, I am imagining that is how one would feel, as I never actually go to the gym!)   

After about four days all that had passed. 

I have my second jab 12 weeks after the first - as seems to be the current protocol here in the UK. I am looking forward to it.

Cristiana

PS  this video from our monarch is worth a watch!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56203768

cristiana Veteran

Hi Kate

I meant to include this link in my earlier post:

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/information-and-support/coronavirus-information-hub/vaccinations/

Coeliac UK is Britain's leading gluten free charity and they have some very helpful information on Coeliac Disease and Covid on their website.  

I hope this might reassure you.

C.

Kate333 Rising Star
20 hours ago, RMJ said:

I’m not sure why celiac disease would mean you have a compromised/fragile/suppressed immune system? If anything, the immune system in celiac patients is a bit too active, attacking self. Some people with other autoimmune diseases do have suppressed immune systems but because of medications taken to treat their diseases.

I’ve had both shots of the Moderna vaccine.  First shot just had a sore arm.  Second shot had sore arm plus chills, headache and nausea. These are all expected side effects.

Hi RMJ, thanks for sharing your expertise! 

I guess that's what I meant.  I am a "newbie" (diagnosed with celiac disease late 2019, started very strict gluten-free diet nearly a year ago). I'm assuming my system has not yet fully healed from celiac disease gut damage because I STILL have slightly elevated TTG blood test results (38) plus continual indigestion symptoms.  Also, I seem to have developed histamine sensitivity/intolerance and other food intolerances since my diagnosis.  And I have bad seasonal allergies and dust and pollen allergies (constant sneezing, stuffy/runny nose).  So.... I'm thinking until my system "calms/settles down" a bit more that I will have a bigger Covid antibody immune response (more discomfort) to the shots at this time rather than waiting a few more months.   

BTW, would it help to take OTC antihistamines BEFORE and AFTER getting these shots?  Would that blunt any immune system "over-reaction" and reduce the likelihood of side-effects?

That said, I had a regular flu shot last October with no adverse affects.  So perhaps I am just needlessly worrying....😉

8 hours ago, cristiana said:

Hi Kate

I meant to include this link in my earlier post:

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/information-and-support/coronavirus-information-hub/vaccinations/

Coeliac UK is Britain's leading gluten free charity and they have some very helpful information on Coeliac Disease and Covid on their website.  

I hope this might reassure you.

C.

Thanks for the link, Cristiana!

RMJ Mentor

An antihistamine wouldn’t help with typical COVID or other vaccine side effects. Allergic reactions are IgE mediated, celiac antibodies are IgA and/or IgG.  This is assuming you don’t have anaphylactic reactions and don’t carry an EpiPen.

I don’t know if people with celiac have stronger immune reactions in general, or just reactions to the wrong thing (self).

I felt lousy yesterday (day after vaccine) but fine today.  I’d rather have some side effects and be protected from COVID sooner.

cristiana Veteran

Hi Kate. 

I too seem to be getting seasonal allergies .  I struggle with gastric issues.  My TTG levels have only once been as low as I would like them to be since I was diagnosed in 2013, despite being careful.  I also have low iron.  I refer to myself as a "creaking gate". 

But that said, my sister, very close in age to me and in comparatively robust health, had the shot and she ended up with far worse side effects than me.  She felt as though she had flu for about three days, which she treated with paracetamol.

It is difficult to know how one will react with this vaccine, but as I think my husband said to me, it's better than getting the real thing.  If you work, my advice would be to have the shot late on a Friday you can take it easy over the weekend. Get in some of your favourite food, some hot drinks and some good books and have a sofa weekend.  As my sister said to me, whatever bizarre symptoms you may get, there's nothing to worry about, as at least you can blame it on the vaccine.  Most of my health anxiety is caused by the fact I don't know why I feel "off", and imagining it's something far worse than it actually is!  So at least you won't have that worry!😊

(BTW - I decided I'd have a sofa weekend, but in actual fact I never needed it!)

Also by way of reassurance, we have a doctor in our family who has with his colleagues administered c. 10,000 vaccines (Pfizer and Astra Zeneca) and he told us not one of their patients has had a severe reaction.  Some of those patients are extremely old or have major league health problems.

Hope this reassures.

C.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Susie0402 Apprentice

I received the Pfizer vaccine last Saturday.  It's a 21 day wait until I get the second one.  I was just diagnosed with Celiac March 17, 2020 and my hubby died in December, 2020.  It's been a year.

cristiana Veteran

Kate

Just to say I was in the pharmacy today and the lady in front of me gets itchy skin every time she has vaccines.  She'd obviously just had her Covid shot and had been told by the doctor to just buy some over the counter antihistamines. The pharmacist gave her these, said they are fine to take. 

https://www.boots.com/boots-one-a-day-allergy-relief-10mg-tablets-loratadine-60-day-supply-10120825

I thought of you!

C.

trents Grand Master

Susie0402, in my rural county of Washington state, the vaccine has been in very short supply. I have not received any shots yet and by the time it's available to me herd immunity may already be in place.

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes life just backs up and dumps.

It's been a year since your celiac disease diagnosis. How are you feeling physically now? Are you able to stick to a gluten-free diet?

Blessings.

Edited by trents
cristiana Veteran
28 minutes ago, Susie0402 said:

I received the Pfizer vaccine last Saturday.  It's a 21 day wait until I get the second one.  I was just diagnosed with Celiac March 17, 2020 and my hubby died in December, 2020.  It's been a year.

I'm so sorry for your loss.  

SarahF Newbie

I actually received my second Moderna shot 3 days before my endoscopy for diagnosis. The first injection gave me a sore arm and a very slight headache for a few days, the second gave me chills and fatigue for a day and I've been fine ever since. My symptoms seem to be similar to most other people I know who have had it. I was a little nervous to get it, as I knew something was wrong with my body (but celiac was not on my radar!), but also felt that was the very reason I needed it.  I'm extremely thankful to have had the vaccine.  Good luck deciding.  

indigo Newbie

Hi, I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2001 after a year of testing with 7 different doctors( for many unusual symptoms) at the age of 54 and after one horribly stressful year. When finally diagnosed, I was told it was the stress that had brought it out ( I had had no symptoms until that year) and that is often the case with older patients.

Anyway, not the point.

I am getting my second covid-19 vaccination today. The first was two weeks ago and all I had was a sore arm for a day. I've read muscle soreness,aches and pains ,fever and fatigue can be a side effect of the second as my body will probably react a little more to the extra virus but not because of celiac. Just because my immune system may be "looking for it". I'll let you know if I do.

pokey449 Enthusiast
On 2/27/2021 at 7:05 PM, Kate333 said:

I got an email "invite" from my health insurance company today urging me to make an appt. for Covid vaccine. 

While I have always gotten an annual flu shot for years with no side-effects, etc., I wanted to hear from anyone else with experience getting the vaccine before I decide on timing.  I know the vaccine has no "live" virus but, as a person who still experiences digestion/IBS/anxiety/food and dust allergy issues on a fairly regular basis a year after my celiac disease diagnosis, I'm not sure if my immune system is still too compromised/fragile to proceed now.  I am VERY careful about following protocol with masks (double, triple), social distance, avoid large crowds, work exclusively at home, etc.  Of course, I don't want Covid, and the new rapidly mutating "variants" do worry me!  And I am so grateful that these vaccines have been developed and distributed so soon.  But, at the same time, I don't wish to further shock my already frazzled nervous system (and other parts of my body) by introducing a new (albeit "dead") virus into my body before people with suppressed immune systems have been adequately studied in Covid vaccine trials.  

Thanks for any comments, esp. from those with experience with shots or professional medical training.

I get my first shot today. I had the same anxiety as you about the vaccine affecting my gut issue. Everything I can find indicates that the vaccine should not impact most underlying conditions. I have a friend who has pulmonary fibrosis. she got the shot and is doing fine. My sister-in-law has allergies and she is doing fine. I'm going to get the shots as I sure as hell don't want covid on top of my wretched gut issues, but of course you have to do what is best for you

Kate333 Rising Star

Thanks everyone for your replies!  I feel less nervous about it now....😉

ayce Newbie
On 2/28/2021 at 4:24 PM, Kate333 said:

Hi RMJ, thanks for sharing your expertise! 

I guess that's what I meant.  I am a "newbie" (diagnosed with celiac disease late 2019, started very strict gluten-free diet nearly a year ago). I'm assuming my system has not yet fully healed from celiac disease gut damage because I STILL have slightly elevated TTG blood test results (38) plus continual indigestion symptoms.  Also, I seem to have developed histamine sensitivity/intolerance and other food intolerances since my diagnosis.  And I have bad seasonal allergies and dust and pollen allergies (constant sneezing, stuffy/runny nose).  So.... I'm thinking until my system "calms/settles down" a bit more that I will have a bigger Covid antibody immune response (more discomfort) to the shots at this time rather than waiting a few more months.   

BTW, would it help to take OTC antihistamines BEFORE and AFTER getting these shots?  Would that blunt any immune system "over-reaction" and reduce the likelihood of side-effects?

That said, I had a regular flu shot last October with no adverse affects.  So perhaps I am just needlessly worrying....😉

Thanks for the link, Cristiana!

I had my first Moderna vaccine last Friday.  My arm soreness didn’t kick in until about 3-4 hours later.  I felt fine the next day shopping and out and about but very tired the next few days. After work on Monday, I got a bad headache that turned into a 99.6 low grade fever.  Then I had some joint pain.  I went home and slept hard for the night.  I woke up the next day 5am ready to go!  Just make sure you rest.  Our bodies are new to this and we need to give it a chance to build immunity.🙂

Melissa93 Contributor

I just got my first vaccination on Friday (Pfizer). I'm a newly diagnosed celiac (nov 2020) and my immune system is totally out of wack. I had a quite severe reaction to covid in March 2020, and my immune system attacked itself and made me incredibly life-threatening ill and after that sick and fatigued for months. Anyway, I have recovered now (I'm 28 y/o), and I really really wanted a vaccination as I have a physical close-contact job. I was slightly nervous if some of my long covid symptoms would come back, or if my immune system would go crazy, but nothing of the sort. I had soreness in my leftarm, body aching in most of my body (as if I had worked out really hard), some minor fatigue and headache on the evening itself, and a bit of reflux (my nerve system got damaged by covid giving me severe reflux that has been pretty much under control since two months). The reflux scared me the most as I was afraid my nerve system got triggered, but it is already subsiding now or barely noticeable. 

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Clancy Newbie

I had the Astra Zeneca 1st vaccination yesterday afternoon. I had a sore arm and felt a little tired by the evening. Then I woke at 3am with a terrible headache, aching everywhere, especially my lower back and hips, and my arm was very painful. I’ve felt drained and flu like all day, and it’s only now in the late evening that I’m feeling the symptoms easing. Hopefully after a good nights rest I’ll be much better tomorrow.

Despite this, I’m feeling very happy to have had the vaccine 1st dose. 

I’m 43 and a newly diagnosed Coeliac (confirmed by endoscopy in Jan 21). 

trents Grand Master

I had my first (Moderna) shot this past Saturday. I'll be 70 next month. Sore arm for 2-3 days. Slight fever that evening, fatigue, muscle aches in lower back and neck for a couple of days. Cough and chest congestion also but I was feeling extra tiered earlier in the day and I wonder if I had not already started coming down with something before the shot.

• 4 weeks later...
JD-New to Celiac Explorer

I didn't realize there were two posts on the vaccine question. Do we talk about anything else these days? Ugh.

I added my question here as well...

Has anyone been vaccinated with the J&J? I received my shot yesterday and I am finding the usual symptoms of pain all down the side of my body that had the injection, headache, nausea, fatigue and my joints are flaring up. The one that is a bit more concerning is shortness of breath or labored breathing especially when I am lying down. It's not bad but seems out of place.

I will add that once injected there was a great deal of immediate pain to the arm and shoulder on the side of the injection but I was told that was normal. No swelling or redness though.

Scott Adams Grand Master

I got mine yesterday--Moderna 1st dose. Just a sore shoulder so far.

Rob S. Contributor

I had the first Moderna shot 2 weeks ago. A sore arm for a day was the worst of it. Exercised the next day and the discomfort was gone.

TinafromArkansas Rookie

Nope and never will.

https://youtu.be/RcM7LT1jTh8

Aligreen Newbie
On 3/1/2021 at 11:23 AM, indigo said:

Hi, I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2001 after a year of testing with 7 different doctors( for many unusual symptoms) at the age of 54 and after one horribly stressful year. When finally diagnosed, I was told it was the stress that had brought it out ( I had had no symptoms until that year) and that is often the case with older patients.

Anyway, not the point.

I am getting my second covid-19 vaccination today. The first was two weeks ago and all I had was a sore arm for a day. I've read muscle soreness,aches and pains ,fever and fatigue can be a side effect of the second as my body will probably react a little more to the extra virus but not because of celiac. Just because my immune system may be "looking for it". I'll let you know if I do.

Celiac is a genetic disease. 

trents Grand Master
30 minutes ago, Aligreen said:

Celiac is a genetic disease. 

It takes both the genes and some triggering stress event in order to develop active celiac disease. It always has a genetic base but many people with celiac genes never develop active celiac disease because the right stress trigger doesn't happen. The stress event can be various things including a viral infection. At least that is the current thinking.

Edited by trents