This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free/df Breakfast Ideas?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Okay, I confess I can not tell if I got glutne from CC somehow or if I am now dairy intolerent. So before i do any testing I wat to to a trial period dairy free. My problem is I need FAST and PORTABLE breakfast ideas that are DF/gluten-free. I am used to eating a gluten-free ceral with milk cause that works well at my desk at work. I bring it in a lunch bag with ice pack, milk seperate of course, and that works very well. Ive even gotten acustom to forgetting a spon and have a big box of plasitc spoons in my desk draw :lol:

Ive tried soy milk in my cearel... EW!, Almound milk is just to nutty for my tastes, and Rice Milk is way to sweet eply added to cearel that already has too much sugar in it.

Soooo whats left ? Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

You could make smoothies and bring them to work in a water bottle. I've never tries these, but they look pretty good! Open Original Shared Link

The Basic Smoothie:

* 2 bananas

* 10-12 frozen strawberries

* 1 cup of apple juice

The High-C Smoothie:

* 2 bananas

* 1 orange

* 2 kiwis

* ½ cup of frozen blueberries

* 1-2 cups of orange juice

Eclectic Smoothie

* 2 bananas

* 1 apple

* 1 orange

* 1 chunk of fresh pineapple

* 1-2 cups of apple juice

Melon Ball Smoothie:

* 2 bananas

* ¼ of a cantaloupe

* ¼ of a honeydew

* 1 cup frozen melons

* 1 cup apple juice

Peaches and Cream Smoothie:

* 2 bananas

* 1 cup of frozen peaches

* 1 cup apple juice

A BOP Smoothie

* 2 bananas

* 2 oranges

* 3 chunks of fresh pineapple

* 1-2 cups of orange juice

Exotic Smoothie:

* 2 bananas

* 1 mango

* 2 kiwis

* ½ a papaya

* 1-2 cups cranberry juice

Berry Refresher:

* 2 bananas

* 1 cup of raspberries

* ½ cup frozen blueberries

The Apple Blast:

* 2 bananas

* 1 green apple

* 1 red apple

* 1-2 cups apple juice

The Whole She-bang:

You may have to blend this one in stages to fit it all in the blender!

* 2 bananas

* 1 orange

* 1 apple

* 2 chunks of fresh pineapple

* 2 kiwis

* ½ cup of frozen blueberries

Or you could bring blueberries in a plastic container with a lid and eat them at work. I find that blueberries give me lots of energy.

Mahee34 Enthusiast
Okay, I confess I can not tell if I got glutne from CC somehow or if I am now dairy intolerent. So before i do any testing I wat to to a trial period dairy free. My problem is I need FAST and PORTABLE breakfast ideas that are DF/gluten-free. I am used to eating a gluten-free ceral with milk cause that works well at my desk at work. I bring it in a lunch bag with ice pack, milk seperate of course, and that works very well. Ive even gotten acustom to forgetting a spon and have a big box of plasitc spoons in my desk draw :lol:

Ive tried soy milk in my cearel... EW!, Almound milk is just to nutty for my tastes, and Rice Milk is way to sweet eply added to cearel that already has too much sugar in it.

i ate cold pizza B) you know whats funny, i'm having the same problem. all of the sudden i'm not sure if i'm dairy intolerent because i keep feeling so sick...i usually do toast for a fast breakfast

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I also eat leftovers for breakfast and lunch.

momandgirls Enthusiast

Whole Soy and Co. makes smoothies in three flavors - strawberry, mango apricot and raspberry. They're in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods. My daughter loves them and she has one almost every day for breakfast.

erin24 Explorer

Well, carriefaith's answers just blew mine out of the water! I will have to try some of them myself, so thanks.

This is what I eat almost every morning. It is easy and there is no cooking. Every sunday I hard boil a bunch of eggs for the week.

- 3 hard boiled egg whites

- bannanna

- O.J.

It's not too exciting but it gets the job done and it's quick. Sometimes I will throw in some dried fruit or the Perky O's gluten-free cereal and just eat the cereal by itsels with not milk.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I have a small toaster at work. I bring in my favorite gluten-free and casein free bread and toast it, then I put on nut butter (I alternate between almond and cashew). Sometimes I'll add a touch of jelly too. (Yes, some people may call this a PB&J - but I call it breakfast!) It can also be very portable if you want to make it at home. Sometimes I'll get the Knickiknick english muffins and do the same thing - but you have to eat it with a knife and fork as the muffins are so big.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Whole Soy and Co. makes smoothies in three flavors - strawberry, mango apricot and raspberry. They're in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods. My daughter loves them and she has one almost every day for breakfast.

I have tried the Soy Smoothies... EEEEWWW. I sorry for those that like soy, but I have treid a free brands and ewwwww! :(

Carrie, wow they do sound good! But I was hoping for something more substaintail feeling if that makes sense.

Toast / Pizza would both be out as neither is DF. :(

HB eggs is a good possiblity, but my son is allergic to eggs so we do no keep any in the house. I am hopinghe has out grown that as 80% of childern in his age group will...

How long can you store a HB egg? Say I boil a dozen or soo for a weeks worth? Some knid of egg salad is not sound bad right now...

Mango04 Enthusiast

Today I ate scrambled eggs (cooked in olive oil). I put the eggs in corn tortillas and wrapped them in tin foil to bring to work. Hard boiled eggs are easy and portable as well.

You have endless possibilities with fruit. Fruit with peanut or almond butter is good.

Gluten-free waffles are great too (I like the buckwheat berry ones - can't think of the brand, Lifestream maybe)

Oops I just read your anti-egg thing, sorry. How about bacon or canadian bacon for protein?

StrongerToday Enthusiast
Toast / Pizza would both be out as neither is DF. :(

You can find lots of DF breads, Knickinick has great ones!!

And I think HB eggs last for a week.

VydorScope Proficient

Wow the ideas are just rolling in on this thread and its noe even pinned yet! Thanks all! Keep them comming, I am feel much mnore encourged then I was a few mins ago...

Small toaster, thats not a bad idea, they are cheap enough. I could get Enjopy life beagls and toast them then add fruit or eggs.

Oops I just read your anti-egg thing, sorry. How about bacon or canadian bacon for protein?

Sorry not anti-egg, I was just commenting I did not have any. I am thinking I will have to run to the grocery store today. I am not panic about egg like we are with gluten with reguard to CC.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Kinnikinick makes some really great sesame seed bagels. And if you like bluberries, try eating a cup of frozen blueberries. I've been enjoying Europe's best frozen blueberries and they taste like candy!

Open Original Shared Link

I find that blueberries give me a boost of energy and they really seem to help with brain fog.

VydorScope Proficient

The only problem I have with Kinnikinnik and Enjoy life is neither is carreid by my food store so I have to trek out to Wild Oats, and their selection is somewhat limited. I hate the idea of ordering food that I might have to toss cause it yucky, I am not well enough off ecomonicly to do that.

I know I can get Enjoy Life Begals at wild oats and I think I have seen Kinnikinnik bread there. Migth just ahve to cave and make the drive.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Sorry not anti-egg, I was just commenting I did not have any. I am thinking I will have to run to the grocery store today. I am not panic about egg like we are with gluten with reguard to CC.

Oh okay well that makes it a little easier for you then.

Corn Thins make for another quick and easy portable breakfast. You can put anything on them - eggs or peanut butter or whatever you can think of. They don't break up like corn tortillas and can sometimes be better than gluten-free bread - in my opinion anyway.

Felidae Enthusiast

I keep my hardboiled eggs no longer than five days, so it would work well for a five day work week. Have you tried Silk brand soymilk. That is the only brand that I think tastes good. You could make rice pudding with coconut or almond milk and add dried fruit and nuts. You could then divide it into small containers to take to work.

Oh okay well that makes it a little easier for you then.

Corn Thins make for another quick and easy portable breakfast. You can put anything on them - eggs or peanut butter or whatever you can think of. They don't break up like corn tortillas and can sometimes be better than gluten-free bread - in my opinion anyway.

What are corn thins? I am tired of my corn tortillas breaking up too.

luvs2eat Collaborator

PB on rice cakes for me! Great for on-the-go breakfast!

Mango04 Enthusiast
What are corn thins? I am tired of my corn tortillas breaking up too.

Corn Thins are kinda like rice cakes but really thin and really good. I use them to make sandwiches too. I actually like it much better than gluten-free bread. It's much cheaper that way too. They're not meant to be flexible like a tortilla, so I guess I didn't describe them very well, but they are tasty.

erin24 Explorer

Btwn my husband and myself HB eggs don't last much longer than 3-4 days b/c we each eat 3-4 whites a day. I usually have to boil aonther dozen half way through the week.

lonewolf Collaborator

Have you tried Almond Breeze Original, Unsweetened Original or Unsweetened Vanilla? These are all better than any other type of rice or soy or almond milk. If you don't like them on your cereal you can use them for baking, so you wouldn't lose your money.

VydorScope Proficient
Have you tried Almond Breeze Original, Unsweetened Original or Unsweetened Vanilla? These are all better than any other type of rice or soy or almond milk. If you don't like them on your cereal you can use them for baking, so you wouldn't lose your money.

Dont think they are offered in my store.. The almond milk I just gave way was "Pacific Breeze" is that the same brand your refering to? I did not like how nutty it tasted. If you like nuts, I am sure it tastes great.... IF you like nuts :)

lonewolf Collaborator
Dont think they are offered in my store.. The almond milk I just gave way was "Pacific Breeze" is that the same brand your refering to? I did not like how nutty it tasted. If you like nuts, I am sure it tastes great.... IF you like nuts :)

I think Pacific is gross - it's nutty and bitter. The Almond Breeze is smooth and tasty - not too sweet. I think it's available in most areas. It's put out by the Blue Diamond almond people. It's worth finding - even my milk drinking kids at home like it for things like cocoa and in french toast.

skinnyminny Enthusiast
I think Pacific is gross - it's nutty and bitter. The Almond Breeze is smooth and tasty - not too sweet. I think it's available in most areas. It's put out by the Blue Diamond almond people. It's worth finding - even my milk drinking kids at home like it for things like cocoa and in french toast.

Is yours a casien problem or a dairy problem, if its dairy you can have Lactid milk it comes in 2%, %1, Non fat milk and whole, it doesn't taste any different and I buy it at kroger or walmart, if you like yogurt and it is a Lactose intolerance many people with lactose intolerance can handle yogurt, but just in case you may want to take a Lactaid pill which are gluten free and to save on price I buy Wal Mart brand

VydorScope Proficient
Is yours a casien problem or a dairy problem, if its dairy you can have Lactid milk it comes in 2%, %1, Non fat milk and whole, it doesn't taste any different and I buy it at kroger or walmart, if you like yogurt and it is a Lactose intolerance many people with lactose intolerance can handle yogurt, but just in case you may want to take a Lactaid pill which are gluten free and to save on price I buy Wal Mart brand

For now I have to aviod all dairy 100% for a while then I will have to re-try dairy and see what happens. Right now I am so sick form what ever got me (CC? Dairy? air? I dunno!) this weekend that I prbly could drink battery acid and not know it bothered me heh.

bluejeangirl Contributor

If you can get Pamela's gluten free baking and pancake mix there is a recipe on the side for muffins. You can add nuts and blueberries, or any fruit even chocolate chips. Make a double batch and freeze some. Or for a quick fix have Lara bars on hand. But I think your going to want to have a milk substitute because you'll need the calcium and its hard to make a change without having something in its place. I Love the Almond breeze by blue diamond like a lot of other people here. The vanilla is kinda sweet, a little like the rice milk is so just try the regular. If you have it in cereal you will less likely notice the change. I think you'll get used to it fairly quickly.

I-am-silly-yak Newbie
Kinnikinick makes some really great sesame seed bagels. And if you like bluberries, try eating a cup of frozen blueberries. I've been enjoying Europe's best frozen blueberries and they taste like candy!

I find that blueberries give me a boost of energy and they really seem to help with brain fog.

Ick! read the label of that "bread." It may be gluten free but what is in there instead. They use sonething called "Sodium Carboxy Metylcellulose." <--- made from wood fiber? wth is that?

Archived