• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mmaccartney

Marshmallow Peeps Pie Recipe

Rate this topic

When I saw this at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5337456 I recalled the thread on Peeps, and all the interest. The recipe requires a lot of dairy, but perhaps someone can modify it. enjoy...

Chocolate and Peeps Pie

1 1/2 cups graham crackers, crushed

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

2 full packages of Peeps, 30 Peeps total (your choice of color), plus additional for garnish

1/3 cup hot milk

1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream

1/4 teaspoon brandy

2 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut into small chunks and chilled in freezer (or two toffee bars chopped into bite-size pieces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse graham crackers in a food processor until fine.

Mix butter, sugar and crushed graham crackers in a bowl. Press mixture evenly into the sides and bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.

Bake crust for 7 minutes until golden. Allow to cool to room temperature. (Crust can be made a day or two in advance and kept fresh in the refrigerator.)

Using a double boiler, stir in hot milk and Peeps until fully melted and uniform in color. Allow to cool to room temperature, 7-10 minutes. Do not allow mixture to stiffen.

Whip cream to stiff peaks using a hand blender or kitchen mixer. Add brandy during mixing.

Using large rubber spatula, fold whipped cream and chocolate pieces into the Peeps mixture. Make sure all of the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.

Pour into graham cracker pie shell and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

Garnish with green coconut (see below), whole Peeps and/or more chocolate pieces.

There are peeps in Canada. I guess they aren't that popular here, at least where I live anyway. I havn't seen any peeps yet this Easter holiday. I'm sure they would be at Walmart! I just havn't been shopping there in awhile.

I remember the thread about Peeps too and I was just wondering....Am I the only one who thinks Peeps are GROSS. :blink:

To me they taste like pure sugar....I LOVE marshmallows but Peeps totally gross me out.

I remember the thread about Peeps too and I was just wondering....Am I the only one who thinks Peeps are GROSS. :blink:

To me they taste like pure sugar....I LOVE marshmallows but Peeps totally gross me out.

Peeps are SO gross. Every year my kids want peeps. Every year I buy peeps. Every year NOBODY eats the peeps...cuz they're GROSS! :rolleyes:

Yea, they are one of those foods that you try form time to time cause everyone loves them they realy cant be bad.... but they are! :rolleyes:

graham crackers?

what are good gluten free graham crackers?

peeps are so bad that they're good

-rg

The only graham crackers that are gluten-free that I have tried are Josef's Gluten Free Graham Crackers. They have them the gluten-free mall, http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/prod...products_id=323 however I get them locally.

I need to make the recipe DF. I can replace the butter with Earth Balance, and the hot milk with hot soymilk, however does anyone have any suggestion on the replacing the "heavy whipping cream"

The Easter Bunny brought me FOUR packages of Peeps. That's 60 marshmallows covered in crunchy sugar.

They should last me at least 3 months.

Or they'll feed the cockroaches during a nuclear holocaust. Along with twinkies.

The Easter Bunny brought me FOUR packages of Peeps. That's 60 marshmallows covered in crunchy sugar.

They should last me at least 3 months.

Or they'll feed the cockroaches during a nuclear holocaust. Along with twinkies.

Excellent, and enough for TWO Peeps pies!!

anyone have any suggestion on the replacing the "heavy whipping cream"

i usually just leave the whipped cream out of recipes, but kinda sounds like you need it for this recipe. personally i've beat up some egg whites with sugar & cream of tartar and make a merangue <sp> and try that. i'll look for peeps when i go shopping and try this recipe if i can find any, keep ya posted.

--matt

i usually just leave the whipped cream out of recipes, but kinda sounds like you need it for this recipe. personally i've beat up some egg whites with sugar & cream of tartar and make a merangue <sp> and try that.

--matt

I should've been more specific!! I need a replacement for Heavy Whipping Cream that is free of gluten, dairy, eggs, peanuts, and tree nuts of any kind!

I should've been more specific!! I need a replacement for Heavy Whipping Cream that is free of gluten, dairy, eggs, peanuts, and tree nuts of any kind!

coconut milk chilled very cold then whipped

gl

rosie ny