This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

CarlaB Enthusiast

April, here's how I survive with a big family, if there's someone else who CAN do it, I delegate. I ONLY do the chores someone else can't do. So, when something needs to be done, I say, "Kids, empty the dishwasher."

That saves my time and energy for cooking dinner, grocery shopping, doing the detail work around the house, etc.

The thing is, the kids need to be taught how to do the chores. Start at a young age and have them work up. When they get to the point they want to vacuum, teach them!

Don't expect them to find the responsibility on their own, you need to become more talented at delegating.

Parents often will say, "I need to send my kid to your house for training." When in truth, it's the parent who needs the training - in delegating, teaching, etc.

So, that's my trick, right out here in the open for the whole world to see. Darn, there goes another chance at making a million dollars!

Oh, I make my kids pack their own lunches! I don't straighten any one else's mess (except for maybe hubby's). I don't put away any one else's laundry. In fact, since I've gotten ill and my kids have gotten older, now they do their own laundry (together, one will put a load in, another will move it to the dryer, then the all fold), but I did all the laundry until two years ago (my oldest is 20 and my youngest 10).

And, no, my house is not a mess, it's typically very neat and clean.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mftnchn Explorer

Carla, I bet there is one more key here in terms of how you give the directions. Tone, style, etc. Any thoughts on that?

My 4 yo GD loves to help, and is already able to do many tasks to help her mom. Its that sense of "I get to help" not "I have to help" which seems key for little ones. Then with good habits it is easier later on.

I didn't do that well with my own two kids. My DH and two kids have very laid back personalities and it seemed I would wait forever to get things done I asked for. Then my illness kicked in majorly when my kids were still in preschool so lots of training didn't get done. I could barely survive.

I did make sure my kids learned basic tasks though before high school. They each had to take turns doing various things. In high school for awhile, they each had to cook an evening meal once a week.

I also tried to let them have some choice between tasks, they were more likely to be willing to do them.

Sherry

mftnchn Explorer
It wasn't a waste .... it doesn't even take me 15 min. to get there. If I didn't drive a Mini Cooper I wouldn't have been able to park. :D

I think that is cool and memorable that you got to be there.

CarlaB Enthusiast

It was cool and memorable, Sherry! The whole experience. The security was unnerving. I was chatting with one of the cops since I couldn't get past the barricade .... he was used to me standing where I was, which was away from a crowd of people but still where I was allowed to be .... but then a little later, other officers came and eyed us all down ... then a couple min. later, John McCain walked down the street on the other side of the street from where I was, someone behind me yelled his name, he turned and waved to the ten or so of us standing there. :) I was afraid to take my phone out of my purse to take a picture of him, LOL.

All the guards on the buildings with big guns .... the bomb squad .... the secret service ... it was all surreal, especially since Lebanon is down the road from where I grew up, so I spent time there off and on all my life! The building he was speaking in front of is the Golden Lamb ... it's a hotel from the early 1800's that is still in operation today. Charles Dickens, Ulysses S. Grant ... many more famous people including most modern presidents have stayed there. I went there for dinner before homecoming when I was in HS!

Sherry, in teaching them, I'm good with tone, usually. Sometimes, like anyone, I get impatient. When they were little, the chores were things like carrying their clothes to the laundry room, picking up their toys before bed, etc.

Later they helped with chores that helped the whole family.

You're right, when they're little they want to. Let them! You'll have to make them soon enough!

Also, most of the time it takes longer to have them help than to do it yourself. Eventually it pays off .... think of the time teaching them as an investment. I never dreamt I'd collect as much on that investment as I have in the past couple years!

The other thing is, when I'm well, they know I do more work around the house than they do, so they don't feel like my personal slaves, LOL. We all clean together on Sat. morning, so we're all working, that helps, too.

Oh, and I don't allow them to do the whiney okay and sulk when they work. They get an earful if they do! I demand respect from them .... and I earn it. :) And they get respect back (most of the time, I'm not perfect).

My oldest got frustrated when she was a senior in HS and was applying to college. Some of her friends actually had their parents filling out their scholarship applications and college entrance applications, etc. She was horrified! My kids fill out all their school paperwork, etc. and I just look over it and sign it. Like I would have time to fill out all that beginning of the year paperwork for everyone, yeah, right!

CarlaB Enthusiast

No posts to read this morning???!!!

Okay, so I'm toxic .... that explains why I feel so much better with coffee enemas. I also take parsley, burbur, NAC, ALA, whey protein, zeolite ..... any other suggestions? Do you think the toxicity will start going down now that the mold is gone?

I also drink lots of water and green tea.

I probably need to start taking saunas again ... got lazy with them. It was easy to do when I was sicker, but now there's not as much time, so I do the ecoffee because I notice more results from it.

confused Community Regular

Carla,

If all the mold is really gone, then you will start to feel better. Just dont run into mold like i do all the time that puts me back to square one.

I think you are on the right track with everything you are taking. Im not sure on a couple of things that you posted, so im not sure if u take an binder like charcoal.

I cant wait to hear you are at 100 percent, now that you know you are toxic, im sure it will happen.

Everyone,

The kids have been in school for the third week and guess who is feeling crappy, mommy lol

paula

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thanks, Paula, I am feeling 100%!!! Or pretty darn close to it!

I have some lower back pain and shoulder pain but the lady who gave me the massage said it's from flute playing. I also have a subluxation so need a chiropractor.

I still have some minor air hunger. Very minor. If I didn't know it was a symptom, I wouldn't recognize it.

I have a rash on my forehead and scalp.

Rashes and air hunger are both on the mold list of symptoms.

I know I'm just a barrel of toxins. I'm sure the slightest thing will set me off again, so I need to take care of these. :) I could easily and quickly fall back to where I was.

Zeolite is my binder. I've also been taking some cholestyramine since I have it .... but I need to talk to my PA to see if it's okay to do a fuller cholestyramine program to really eliminate this mold.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

Hi everyone...I've been reading along, but just not commenting. I didn't keep a running list of the VCS biotoxin scores, but I found this one post from me:

OKay, here are the scores for the VCS test:

April: 99.62%

Paula: 99.99%

Donna: 99.99997%

I know we had a couple of others who took the test...Rachel I think.

CarlaB Enthusiast

It will be interesting for me to take the test again in a few weeks to see how my score changes getting rid of the mold!!

Hi everyone...I've been reading along, but just not commenting. I didn't keep a running list of the VCS biotoxin scores, but I found this one post from me:

yep rachel took it and passed it. So she dont count lol

It will be interesting for me to take the test again in a few weeks to see how my score changes getting rid of the mold!!

I am going to take it again in a few weeks to, since we have moved upstairs away from the mold problem of 3 years ago lol.

paula

CarlaB Enthusiast

OMGOSH, I can hardly stand the smell of myself ... I took a shower and still stink! I MUST be detoxing, huh?????

I also have a low grade fever, but I have a cold ... no surprise a fever is involved since my LLMD thinks I have overactive cytokines.

covsooze Enthusiast

Hi all! B)

I know I haven't posted in months and months, but thought I'd just pop by to say hi and update you a bit on me.

Earlier in the year, Dr Peatfield was treating my thyroid and adrenal fatigue and candida, and I started feeling great. People even noticed just from looking at me how much healthier I was :D I was also using natural progeterone cream, which I think was helping.

Then, completely unexpectedly, I fell pregnant!! This wasn't part of the plan, as I was wanting to do everything possible to get healthy before trying again, after the miscarriages last year.

I was started on daily heparin injections at 6 weeks for my blood clotting disorder and my thyroid has also been carefully monitored.

I am now 23 weeks pregnant and our little girl is due on Jan 7th :D

My IBS is really rubbish (just as it was when I was pregnant with DS) and I'm anaemic again. I guess being pregnant is hard work for my body lol! However, the hormones seem to suit me, as I've had no real depression to speak of since being pregnant.

I hope everyone here is doing well

Susie x

covsooze Enthusiast

PS what does the 'warn' thing that has appeared next to my post mean?

dlp252 Apprentice

Congratulations Susie!!! That's wonderful news! The warn thing is only visible to you and pertains to whether or not you've had any warnings. Everyone sees their own.

aprilh Apprentice

Hi all! I have been in jury duty all day.

Thanks for the suggestions on getting the kids involved in helping out. I already do that but I get a lot of flack. And with the hubby not participating in helping me keep it all straight I get overwhelmed easily. For instance, he doesn't *believe* in making beds and I am trying to teach the kids to make their own beds EVERYDAY!

He doesn't do much disciplining either. Well, I guess I would say I am sort of like a single parent 75 % of the time! <_<

Anyway, I think I am going to have a sit down with the kids and explain what I expect and what the repercussions will be if its not done. My 4yo will have much easier jobs, of course, and I'll have to help him more.

Your right that I need to get it instilled in them at an early age. My 8yo doesn't mind helping its just comes and goes.

Carla,

I think you will continue to improve without the mold! Just think how good you'll feel after you detox mold! B)

Paula,

How could Rachel pass the test? She's supposed to be pretty toxic! :o:)

April,

rachel passed cause mold is not an major issue with her. Lyme and mold are the ones that cause the biotxins that make us fail that test lol. SInce her problems are more sulfite/oxalates/mercury etc, then she was able to pass the test.

Carla,

You are already detoxing, that is great. What herb do you think is helping u detox the mold? How much help do you think the saunas will help with detoxing mold. I have been really looking around for an sauna, just trying to figure out were i would put it when i buy one. I also want to buy the mercola tanning bed. if i can figure out were to put that also lol. Hubby said i can rent out the apt across the street for all of my stuff lol.

paula

CarlaB Enthusiast

Susie, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Paula, I don't know if this is good or not ..... I need another shower!

I'm taking all kinds of stuff for detox - oral glutathione, parsley, burbur, resveratrol, ALA, NAC, whey protein ...... any one of them or the combination. I've always needed lots of detox.

I talked with the attorneys. Let me sort it all out .... I will chat via email on this. :) I don't want to make what they said public .... but I will tell my friends. ;) If you're not on my email list, PM me.

confusedks Enthusiast

Just popping in again!

I've been kinda heavily involved in doing emotional work because it plays a huge part in my recovery. So, I've been in a daze, but definitely feeling better.

I saw Dr B for an NAET treatment on Tuesday and I had just had my hair cut, and she was like "uh oh, you're getting busy again!" LOL!!!! :lol: She knows me...Having ANY energy is SO exciting it's hard to not do things.

I had her muscle test me for the GED and she said to wait until November to take it, that I couldn't make it through the duration of the test in October. She also said to wait until summer to start community college...but she said she can re-test that in a few months and see if it's a different answer.

She muscle tested me to find out the percentage of my health problems that are emotionally/feelings related, and she said 30%. That's a lot!!! So that's what I've been up to...lots of emotional breakthroughs. All VERY good stuff!!!! If anyone wants to know more details, feel free to PM me, but I don't want to post for the world wide web to see!! :)

AndreaB Contributor

Susie,

Congratulations! :D :D

Hope you'll pop back in after your little girl is born.

Kassandra,

I'll pm you.

I never took the biotoxin test, don't know that I really need to right now.

ShadowSwallow Newbie

Congratulations, Susie!!! :D :D :D

Glad to hear that so much progress is being made, Carla and Kassandra. :) *PMs both of you*

I just had my second LED yesterday (for Gold/Aluminum). The Sulfa one cleared on the first go (Matt was surprised) and I feel so good right now. I think going off the abx for 24hrs helped, too. :P I won't be able to have the next treatment until Oct 14th, so that sets back my "getting well" schedule a bit, but it's still bearable. :rolleyes::lol:

Birdy

CarlaB Enthusiast

Kassandra, I'm glad you're working through stuff. :) I'd like the PM too.

I haven't sent out the email yet. I'll work on it later. :) I've been going back. :ph34r: It's been so interesting .... hindsight is 20/20 they say, and I can so clearly see the role mold has played in going back. For example, when I relapsed on Lyme - check out post # 27695. I even say that they weren't my normal Lyme symptoms!

I just wonder why the abx would make the symptoms decrease. Maybe because it would further lower the level of Lyme toxins so my body could deal with it?

I am going to have to shower again ... is this normal for detoxing??? I can't stand myself! LOL

mftnchn Explorer

Me, too. I passed. I have to look up my scores though. Does anybody believe that I am not biotoxic, LOL? Still passing small worms pretty often.

mftnchn Explorer
OMGOSH, I can hardly stand the smell of myself ... I took a shower and still stink! I MUST be detoxing, huh?????

I also have a low grade fever, but I have a cold ... no surprise a fever is involved since my LLMD thinks I have overactive cytokines.

Carla, sounds like detox is happening so maybe you are fine. Other ideas: charcoal, skin brushing, temporarily remove moldy foods from diet like mushrooms, etc. My allergist tells me fall is a bad time for mold allergy. You have air filters, right? Maybe clean them frequently?? Clean any filters before you start heating your house. Clean vents and stuff???

This is a wild idea...but increase your zinc??? We discovered when we lived in a semi tropical climate that it took care of the stink on body and clothes when my husband was constantly sweating in the hot weather.

Sherry

mftnchn Explorer

Susie, SO GOOD to see you and what wonderful news! Hope all goes well during the pregnancy.

Great updates on everyone. Kassandra--good news that this is helping. I'd love an email. Carla, I'll look forward to your email, too.

Donna, glad to "see" you too.

aprilh Apprentice
Susie, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Paula, I don't know if this is good or not ..... I need another shower!

I'm taking all kinds of stuff for detox - oral glutathione, parsley, burbur, resveratrol, ALA, NAC, whey protein ...... any one of them or the combination. I've always needed lots of detox.

I talked with the attorneys. Let me sort it all out .... I will chat via email on this. :) I don't want to make what they said public .... but I will tell my friends. ;) If you're not on my email list, PM me.

Carla,

I get stinky too when I'm detoxing. Have you done an epsom bath? That or sauna usually helps me.

I sent you a pm with my email.

Just popping in again!

I've been kinda heavily involved in doing emotional work because it plays a huge part in my recovery. So, I've been in a daze, but definitely feeling better.

I saw Dr B for an NAET treatment on Tuesday and I had just had my hair cut, and she was like "uh oh, you're getting busy again!" LOL!!!! :lol: She knows me...Having ANY energy is SO exciting it's hard to not do things.

I had her muscle test me for the GED and she said to wait until November to take it, that I couldn't make it through the duration of the test in October. She also said to wait until summer to start community college...but she said she can re-test that in a few months and see if it's a different answer.

She muscle tested me to find out the percentage of my health problems that are emotionally/feelings related, and she said 30%. That's a lot!!! So that's what I've been up to...lots of emotional breakthroughs. All VERY good stuff!!!! If anyone wants to know more details, feel free to PM me, but I don't want to post for the world wide web to see!! :)

I'm so glad you are having good results with the NAET. I would love to get your email if you feel like sharing!

Anyone heard from Julie? I don't think she has posted in a long time.

Archived