This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

rinne Apprentice

Hi, I'm only on page 27 but I really wanted to be part of the current chat.

Rachel, thank you for this thread and for your story. I truly admire your spirit. Your talking about the rashes brought to mind a friend told me that the area just under the lip is related to the bowels and that if that area is red it shows irritation, I am wondering if a rash in that area would mean extreme irritation.

AndreaB, thanks for the heads up on the Metabolic Diet, I will look into it.

Evie, what I am learning is that Ankylosing Spondylitis is related through the gut to Celiac, in that with Celiac you have a bad gut and the kielbasa bacteria (spelling?) that are related to the AS take hold and generate the inflamation in the spine and lumbar region. Genetics plays a part in all of this. I am coming to understand that being a Celiac undermines our health and when we are weakened enough then our genetic weaknesses manifest, this is the cascade. The thing about being a Celiac and having AS is that if you go on the gluten-free diet you won't heal if you continue to consume starch because the kielbasa bacteria feed on starch so what you must do is go on a low starch/no starch diet so that they are not being fed, this will control the inflamation and halt the damage to the spine. I went on a gluten-free diet that was very simple, only a little white rice and vegetables and fish and fruit and I started to feel better and then I decided that I felt well enough to bake and that I could live without bread if I could have cake. I began to bake and I started to get worse again but in a different way, at first I had been in gastric distress and severe burning pains in the abdomen along with a steady sharp pain in my back and a feeling of my ribs being squeezed it changed into a fire that ran through my hips and up my spine. (I keep remembering that last summer when I first knew I was in trouble I kept playing that Train song that goes "she's on fire" and dancing madly about.) I found a post by another woman named Bonny who said she had both diseases and when I went to the KickAS site she talked about I found lots of helpful information. I have been doing the no/low starch diet and my back is hurting but it is not on fire. I understand that I have to get control of the inflamation because it is that that is causing me to melt.

I am an O type and need red meat, fish, vegetables and fruits primarily according to Peter J.D'amano's book on arthritis and diet. It makes sense to me because probably the best I ever felt physically was when I was on the Atkin's diet, I just couldn't handle that much meat. I see now I could have moderated it and learned much earlier in my life how to take care of myself but as I alluded to earlier I think being a Celiac sets us up to not know what true health is.

I am really curious about this Metabolic diet, really I will try anything that works and today it looks like what works is not to take the Pearl Biotics or any other vitamin. I am feeling better even though it is minimal, I accidentally glutened myself yesterday, I am so new to this.

I promise not to make all my posts so long and I am still curious about the gelatin/MSG connection.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor
AndreaB, thanks for the heads up on the Metabolic Diet, I will look into it.

I am really curious about this Metabolic diet, really I will try anything that works and today it looks like what works is not to take the Pearl Biotics or any other vitamin. I am feeling better even though it is minimal, I accidentally glutened myself yesterday, I am so new to this.

I promise not to make all my posts so long and I am still curious about the gelatin/MSG connection.

Rinne,

Check out www.mercola.com. He has info about the metabolic diet and has a simple 9 question survey to give you a basic idea. He stresses that it is just an idea and the regular test has about 200 questions. Each person needs to fine tune there own diet. I don't agree with all his stuff although he does have a lot of articles.

Green12 Enthusiast

Hi rinne, welcome :)

Gelatin is a hidden source of MSG.

Check out: Open Original Shared Link

AndreaB Contributor
Hi rinne, welcome :)

Gelatin is a hidden source of MSG.

Check out: Open Original Shared Link

Julie,

Thanks for the website. I've got it bookmarked.

Do you know if that includes the plain knox gelatin packets or just if gelatin is added as an ingredient. I know with ones that occasionally have msg that if you have more than one on the occasionaly list that there is more of a likelihood of it containing msg.

evie Rookie

:wub: rinne...thank you so much for that valuable information!! I believe that metabolic diet is on Dr. mercola.com I have read that newsletter but I did not know that o blood went/ protein group. I am of mixed group which is meats and most foods. For the arthritis I may have been eating too many alternate grains, especially as cereals, I have done very little baking and have not bought prepared baked foods. The ceral grains have helped me regain some strength but may have caused me other problems!! My blood is O positive.

I am always ready to change my ways if will help my health and have learned so much from other people on this forum!! they are all (like you rinne) so generous with knowledge in helping others. I keep thinking I should be farhter along/ my healing but have dropped lots of problems so must curb my impatience again.

:) THX again. evie

Guest Robbin

Sorry I didn't get to get online before now to respond to the question about the kugel-I just buy the Manischewitz kugel mix that is in the grocery store and experiment with that. I added an extra egg and 1/2 c. sweet rice flour to it and baked it in a larger pan than the little tin that is included in the box. You could do a lot of experiments with this and best of all it is gluten free, cheap, and easy. It has onion in it already, so it easily adapts to savory foods. It's in the Jewish foods section and I learned about it from a thread in the cooking/baking section or the products section, can't remember which. celiac3270 recommended the Manischewitz products and I tried them and they are good. I like the sweet potato pancake mix too. I normally cook from scratch but if you don't feel well and need to throw a meal together for a family that can't just pick up and get take out, any kind of convenience food is great.

Arnetta, if you can read this, I am praying for you and Judy to both have a complete recovery. So many are sick right now-around my home area and online with viruses and coughs. It is worse than it was all winter, it seems. My Dh just got home from a meeting in Miami and he's not feeling well. Maybe its this unbearable humidity just keeping all the germs and viruses hamging in the air :blink: It has been from the upper 80's to 100 for 4 days here with bad humidity and now we are getting thunder and lightening but no rain yet. It was so dry that the McD's here in town had a bush burn up from a lady throwing a cigarette out her window at the drive-thru. My son said she probably heard a voice from the "burning bush" giving her a commandment. Maybe " Don't eat here, lady and quit smoking too" . :)

Mango04 Enthusiast

Hi Rinne -

If you're interested in the Metabolic Typing Diet, there's acutally a book called just that. It's pretty interesting...you might want to check it out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

THANKS FOR ASKING RACHEL

GOING TO POST IN A FEW MINUTES ON THE THREAD I STARTED.

'WHAT IS UP WTIH YOU AND LETTUCE'??????

I COULDN'T HAVE READ THIS RIGHT????? :blink::huh::o:o:unsure::ph34r:

JUDY IN PHILLY

dlp252 Apprentice
Sorry I didn't get to get online before now to respond to the question about the kugel-I just buy the Manischewitz kugel mix that is in the grocery store and experiment with that. I added an extra egg and 1/2 c. sweet rice flour to it and baked it in a larger pan than the little tin that is included in the box. You could do a lot of experiments with this and best of all it is gluten free, cheap, and easy. It has onion in it already, so it easily adapts to savory foods. It's in the Jewish foods section and I learned about it from a thread in the cooking/baking section or the products section, can't remember which. celiac3270 recommended the Manischewitz products and I tried them and they are good. I like the sweet potato pancake mix too. I normally cook from scratch but if you don't feel well and need to throw a meal together for a family that can't just pick up and get take out, any kind of convenience food is great.

Great! Thanks so much!!! I'll see if Whole Foods has any of these products tomorrow, and if not, I'll check out my regular grocery stores--I KNOW I've seen them somewhere, lol.

The blood type diets sound interesting...I know I'm A but not sure if I'm A+ or A-... I've always felt really good just eating meats and veggies with a little fruit, so I'm not sure how that all fits, lol. I'll have to see if I can find Dr. Mercola's questions. :)

dlp252 Apprentice
The blood type diets sound interesting...I know I'm A but not sure if I'm A+ or A-... I've always felt really good just eating meats and veggies with a little fruit, so I'm not sure how that all fits, lol. I'll have to see if I can find Dr. Mercola's questions. :)

I meant to say blood typ/e metabolic diets sound interesting, lol. Well I just did the 9-question thing at Dr. Mercola's site...and just with that it said I'm most likely a protein type. That fits with what past experience has shown me. :)

AndreaB Contributor

Donna,

I had scored 51 which is mixed. It was interesting for me because I hadn't been eating meat and for those questions I wasn't sure about I picked 5 for the medium. I would probably be in the higher 50's otherwise. I used to eat much more carbohydrates since my protein was coming from gluten and soy primarily. I still need to eat more fruits and veggies. :)

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna,

I had scored 51 which is mixed. It was interesting for me because I hadn't been eating meat and for those questions I wasn't sure about I picked 5 for the medium. I would probably be in the higher 50's otherwise. I used to eat much more carbohydrates since my protein was coming from gluten and soy primarily. I still need to eat more fruits and veggies. :)

My score was 81, and I did the same thing with a couple of questions...picked 5 for the mid-range. I actually don't eat as much meat as they suggest [ETA: for my type]...they suggested ratio of 40/30/30, with 40 being protein...right now fat is my biggest chunk and it's around 40-50%, carbs are my next and then protein...I may give this a shot and see if making my protein around 40% does anything. When I was feeling my best, my fat ratio was up around 55-60% with, protein next at around 30%, and the rest in carbs. The fat came from mostly good sources, but I did have a lot of red meat too, so some of it was saturated.

I've been asked recently if maybe that diet didn't have something to do with my enlarged bile/pancreatic duct and the cell changes...I have yet to determine that, but will ask my doctor when I see him next month. Theoretically if I had been eating the correct proteins and fats, for my body, it shouldn't have had an effect, but I have a suspicion that it wasn't quite the correct ratios nor the correct types of proteins and fats.

AndreaB Contributor

I don't even know how to do the ratios. :o I haven't been excercising either, so that doesn't help. I spend too much time on this forum. :D:P:lol::ph34r:

I would probably need to do the whole test which I won't pay for. I've got to get off of here and head to the store to replace my colander (which I hadn't done yet) and get some small loaf pans. Maybe I can get some baking done this weekend. I didn't buy millet flour though so I'll just have to make things that don't call for that. I've got a model horse show we are going to on Saturday. The gal I buy my custom model horses from on ebay is going to be there. It will be nice to see her again. She said the show will be smaller than normal because the people putting it on didn't get papers done in time to qualify this show for the national model horse show. There is a pre fair game show on Sunday I might want to take the kids to. I always enjoyed watching gaming (my favorite was the keyhole race) during my 4h years. We used to have a joke that they took all the pleasure out of fair because they judged the rider but not the horse. :lol:

dlp252 Apprentice
I don't even know how to do the ratios. :o I haven't been excercising either, so that doesn't help. I spend too much time on this forum. :D:P:lol::ph34r:

I would probably need to do the whole test which I won't pay for. I've got to get off of here and head to the store to replace my colander (which I hadn't done yet) and get some small loaf pans. Maybe I can get some baking done this weekend. I didn't buy millet flour though so I'll just have to make things that don't call for that. I've got a model horse show we are going to on Saturday. The gal I buy my custom model horses from on ebay is going to be there. It will be nice to see her again. She said the show will be smaller than normal because the people putting it on didn't get papers done in time to qualify this show for the national model horse show. There is a pre fair game show on Sunday I might want to take the kids to. I always enjoyed watching gaming (my favorite was the keyhole race) during my 4h years. We used to have a joke that they took all the pleasure out of fair because they judged the rider but not the horse. :lol:

The ratios were listed on the email they sent, and it was just a general categorization...the email also said that the ratios would probably need to be tweaked, and for that the full test is required, lol. I'm sure the book goes into it too (or maybe not...the full test looked pretty expensive).

The show sounds fun! I love going to stuff like that. :)

Silly me, forgot to list the ratios:

Carb Type: 25% protein, 15% fat, 60% carb

Mixed Type: 30% protein, 20% fat, 50% carb

Protein Type: 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carb

francelajoie Explorer

Maltodextrin is corn based. It does contain MSG's though.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Maltodextrin is corn based. It does contain MSG's though.

Yeah....the carnation instant breakfast has lots of ingredients that would set me off. Its got alot of "hidden msg". Ithink I'd rather eat cream of wheat cereal if given a choice. Well....maybe not. :unsure:

Green12 Enthusiast
Yeah... I knew all of this.... I just got SO excited and was hoping I wasn't that sensitive to MSG... was hoping that in the beginning my symptoms were just from gluten..... ohh well.... :(

You can't have avocadoes, or nuts, right Floridian?

I'm trying to figure something out for you, maybe a calorie packed drink to supplement with your diet. What about flax seeds? You can get a little coffee grinder and grind the flax seeds and throw them into a homemade smoothie with fruit.

Or even better are you ok with coconut? You can try a smoothie with fruits of your choice and start with a tbsp of coconut oil and see how it comes out.

Just a thought.

Check out www.mercola.com. He has info about the metabolic diet and has a simple 9 question survey to give you a basic idea. He stresses that it is just an idea and the regular test has about 200 questions. Each person needs to fine tune there own diet. I don't agree with all his stuff although he does have a lot of articles.

My thing with Mercola is he doesn't believe in anyone eating grains so that would make pretty much everyone an omnivore type, wouldn't it??

Julie,

Do you know if that includes the plain knox gelatin packets or just if gelatin is added as an ingredient.

I don't know specifically Andrea, but I assume that all gelatin in any form is a source of msg.

It was so dry that the McD's here in town had a bush burn up from a lady throwing a cigarette out her window at the drive-thru. My son said she probably heard a voice from the "burning bush" giving her a commandment. Maybe " Don't eat here, lady and quit smoking too" . :)

Robbin,

Thanks for the info about the Manischewitz products. It's always great to hear about something new and interesting to try out, that fits with the diet :)

About the burning bush at McDonalds, if that's not a sign I don't know what is :lol::lol: Thanks for sharing that little story.

Hi evie!

Happy Friday Everyone!

Green12 Enthusiast
:o Good googly moogly... are you brave!!!!

Regarding me intentionally eating wheat/gluten last month: I feel like I have been glutened everyday, it doesn't matter what I eat, my symptoms are present gluten or not.

rinne Apprentice

Page 43 and counting, just had to quote JulieM here:

It also cracks me up everytime I read the title of the thread, "omg I think I am on to something". I can envision newly diagnosed people coming to tread the thread thinking they are going to learn all about celiac and related stuff and we have been back and forth all over the place with corn and msg and ovaries

JulieM thanks for the link to Truth in Labelling and AndreaB for the www.mercola link.

Evie, I am very new to all this and it was only a couple of weeks ago that I put these pieces together, and only afterwards did I discover that my mother has AS too! Genetics, my father's family has Celiac. I've been in pain for three years now and have seen chiropractors, doctors, the gastro finally suggested Celiac and turns out my sister is a Celiac/IBS, a herbalist, helpful with licorice root tea mix and an acupuncturist. The acupuncturist has been the most helpful, his diagnosis - a very, very weak digestion. What I find that he is doing for me is allowing to read/trust my body through the pain. When the pain overwhelmed me I could not tell what was good and what was not because everything I ate hurt too much and when I tried to recall the foods my body trusted I got confused because the thought of eating them made me feel nauseous. At some point this past winter I realized that I had to treat my stomach/digestion like it was a new baby and just the way I wouldn't give a new that coffee and cake I couldn't give it to my tummy either.

Rachel, I don't know how to thank you for making that link to MSG and supplements, I am still stunned but then I think c'mon how naive are you, someone is making money and that someone does not care about you. This is the second day I have skipped them and my dry mouth and endless thirst not to mention running to pee all the time has gone. I was becoming afraid that Diabetes was going to hit me next in this cascade. I realize I get the white tongue and swellings too, I am really going to pay attention to that.

Thanks to everyone ten thousand times, I don't know how long it would have taken me to make the link.

AndreaB Contributor

My thing with Mercola is he doesn't believe in anyone eating grains so that would make pretty much everyone an omnivore type, wouldn't it??

I don't know specifically Andrea, but I assume that all gelatin in any form is a source of msg.

/quote]

Yes, Mercola is against all grains. Learning about celiac I can relate to most of that, but I'll never give up my rice unless I become allergic. Don't shoot me, but I'm a creationist not an evolutionist. Just the same the bible states that man started eating meat as in animals after the flood.

As far as the gelatin, I bought knox recently (haven't used it yet) because it was listed in some recipes. We used to have emes kosher gel which was carrageenan which is just as bad, or maybe it isn't. I'll have to check that site again. Carrageenan used to be on the not always list. What does gelatin do in recipes anyway? I'll have to check out the new cookbooks and see if they use it.

evie Rookie

Page 43 and counting, just had to quote JulieM here:

JulieM thanks for the link to Truth in Labelling and AndreaB for the www.mercola link.

Evie, I am very new to all this and it was only a couple of weeks ago that I put these pieces together, and only afterwards did I discover that my mother has AS too! Genetics, my father's family has Celiac. I've been in pain for three years now and have seen chiropractors, doctors, the gastro finally suggested Celiac and turns out my sister is a Celiac/IBS, a herbalist, helpful with licorice root tea mix and an acupuncturist. The acupuncturist has been the most helpful, his diagnosis - a very, very weak digestion. What I find that he is doing for me is allowing to read/trust my body through the pain. When the pain overwhelmed me I could not tell what was good and what was not because everything I ate hurt too much and when I tried to recall the foods my body trusted I got confused because the thought of eating them made me feel nauseous. At some point this past winter I realized that I had to treat my stomach/digestion like it was a new baby and just the way I wouldn't give a new that coffee and cake I couldn't give it to my tummy either.

rinne...Even if you have not been on long you have learned a lot about your problems & I have learned from you. with your post today I am thinking my mother & her sister both may have had celiac (undiagnosed). they both had such huge abdomens, constipation & etc problems, auntie died of gallstones & pancreatitus, my Mom's health was not too great @ 69 when she died in a car accident 25 yrs ago. that is about the time when I was first having my problems!! In my reading on this problem I think that gallstones, stomach & liver problems can all be connected, many etc organs as well. THX 'rinne' and all the etc posters for their help. :rolleyes: evie

Green12 Enthusiast
Oh I'm sorry :( have you been able to pinpoint anything? Maybe it's just taking a while for your intestines to heal and things will start to get better? :unsure:

I've never tried flax seed, has anyone you know reacted to it? I can do coconut, that has alot of calories? And yes, can't have avacado, banana, pear, cantalope, watermellon, am allergic, the nuts just seem to be hard on my tummy, hoping that will improve tho. There are alot of other fruits I can have tho... like apple, peach, cherry...ect.

How do make this drink, what's the measurements of everything? I will definitely try it!! Thank you

Floridian,

I was thinking "smoothie" for you to supplement your diet just because they are quick and easy to make and you could just toss the fruits you do well with in the blender with some ice cubes and a couple of tablespoons of ground flax seeds, fruit juice or water, and there you go. Plus you know exactly what you are getting, only what you put into it. I don't have an exact recipe, you can't really mess them up, they are very forgiving. I saw a post in the baking category about smoothies, there might be some recipes there, but I just always wing it when I make mine- a little bit of this a little bit of that kind of thing.

I am allergic to flax seeds, but I can eat avocadoes every day with no problem and you can't, so I couldn't say if they will be a problem for you. I was just trying to think of something high calorie and flax seeds are high in fat, therefore I assume higher calorie. And also I used to put ground flax seeds (when I did eat them) in my smoothies, they blend really well with fruit and gave it a taste I really liked.

The coconut oil is a fat, so again I was thinking high fat/high calories, and it has healing properties. I have never used coconut oil in a smoothie but I don't see why you couldn't, I have used other oils before and they came out fine. If you were interested in trying it I would start out with a small amount (maybe 1/2 tbsp ?) and see how it comes out and then just tinker with the amount until it suits your tastes. Since it is an oil it is rich, and coconut oil to me is even a little richer.

If you try it, please let me know how it turns out :)

dlp252 Apprentice

I use frozen fruit for my smoothies...yum.

The flax seeds can cause a little tummy trouble if you aren't used to eating them...if you do try them, start with just a little bit at a time and slowly up the amount. I used to buy the already ground up flax meal and started with just a teaspoon full in a smoothie, then was able to do a tablespoon, then started mixing it into stuff like tuna salad. I haven't had it in a long time now so would probably have to start slowly again, lol.

Okay girls...I have no heel itching today...so I guess chicken isn't the culprit--it's been more than 24 hours now. I've been taking Zyrtek everyday for about 5 days now, but I can't imagine that would affect it...they never made a difference when I was in the midst of the worst of the itching.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I've discovered two intolerances in my diet. Chicken and potatoes. I suspected both for a long time now but I think the key to really figuring stuff out is eliminating questionable stuff and at the same time not adding anything new, avoiding processed foods, and for me avoiding the supplements and stuff that could have auxigro. I think I've reduced my symptoms enough that after not eating any chicken for a week and then having some the reaction was noticeable. It was never so clear cut before. Same with the potatoes....I've tried all the different types but still react the same. I found some seet potatoes that dont give me symptoms and I like the sweet potatoes better anyway. :)

Both the chicken and the potatoes cause some head symptoms, stuffiness, fluid retention, swollen taste buds on the back of my tongue and a coating on my tongue. Also they both cause some fullness in my throat and reflux. As a bonus the potatoes cause a swollen hard as a rock stomach. The swollen taste buds and tongue coating is so immediate that now I know its a sign of intolerance for me. The coating is really weird though...its almost like my food is sticking onto my tongue and not going down or if I clean off my tongue I can see it creeping back up. It doesnt cover my whole tongue. Just mainly the back and all around the swollen taste buds. I'm not sure if I'm just plain intolerant to the chicken and potatoes of if its because they are both high in glutamates. I think if that were the case it may be more true for the chicken because I know there are times when I was totally unaffected by chicken. The potatoes on the other hand never sat well with me.

Man, I think I've become a magnet for bad luck since I got sick. People used to always tell me I was spoiled with good luck and that how come nothing bad ever happened to me. Well sheesh...its definately all caught up to me...I've had my share and then some the past 3 years. Today I kinda wrecked the side of my car. It was only the molding under the passenger door but still. My car is low (an eclipse) and I scraped it good against one of those cement planter things they have in parking lots. The whole piece came off but I was able to snap it back on. Its just very damaged now. :(

My boss took me to an auto body shop where he knows the owners and I'm getting a really good deal but what a way to start off my vacation!

More things have happened to my car in the past 60 days than in the entire time I've owned it!! :huh:

Oh well it will be nice when everything looks new and freshly painted again. :)

Rinne,

I wanted to reply to your posts and also to explain the thing with gelatin. I've seen a good description of how gelatin contains msg but need to find the link so I can post it for you and anyone else who's curious about that. I'm so glad you're learning from this thread! When I started this thread I didnt know anything about MSG so I was just as shocked as you are about how this stuff is hidden in everything....but I guess you've probably read all that by now. At the rate you're going you should be all caught up very soon. :)

In the meantime....I'm having a hard time keeping up now. :huh:

I will definately get that info about the gelatin for you but I have to go food shopping and then heading out to see a movie. As soon as I get a chance I'll post what I find. It seems that I'm doing more things outside of the house now which is a really good sign....maybe I'm coming out of my shell. :D

Also Rinne, isnt it amazing how much the supplements, which we thought we helping us, were actually holding us back and making us sicker! I'm so glad you found that info. and are feeling better now. Not taking supplements has made the biggest difference for me. I dont have any fatigue at all now and my chemical sensitivities and moods are way better....and thats just a few of the things that have improved.

Donna, Did you eat the same amount of chicken as last time cuz sometimes reactions are dose related so if you dont have enough in your system you may not react....maybe eat the chicken 2 days in a row to be sure.

miamia Rookie
That's funny you mentioned this, when EVERYTHING I ate hurt I was considering just buying baby food, but thank goodness I'm doing better.... you guys will be proud of me, tonight was the first night I ate everything on my plate... everything.... I used to put the same portions on my plate every night like I used to "in the old days of semi-healthyness" but never could finish it because of tummy pain, but tonight I DID :D I had meat loaf with only eggs and organic gluten free ketchup added, mashed sweet potatoes with a little brown sugar and butter, and lima beans! This might sound silly but this was one BIG accomplishment for myself.... :D (wish they gave out awards for this :lol: )

Floridian-

This is huge!! I hate that my appetite is not what it used to be and I struggle so much to eat the same amount because I need, need , need to gain weight but its so hard to eat alot when your not hungry.

Congrats though on the dinner!!!

Miamia

I've discovered two intolerances in my diet. Chicken and potatoes. I suspected both for a long time now but I think the key to really figuring stuff out is eliminating questionable stuff and at the same time not adding anything new, avoiding processed foods, and for me avoiding the supplements and stuff that could have auxigro. I think I've reduced my symptoms enough that after not eating any chicken for a week and then having some the reaction was noticeable. It was never so clear cut before. Same with the potatoes....I've tried all the different types but still react the same. I found some seet potatoes that dont give me symptoms and I like the sweet potatoes better anyway. :)

Both the chicken and the potatoes cause some head symptoms, stuffiness, fluid retention, swollen taste buds on the back of my tongue and a coating on my tongue. Also they both cause some fullness in my throat and reflux. As a bonus the potatoes cause a swollen hard as a rock stomach. The swollen taste buds and tongue coating is so immediate that now I know its a sign of intolerance for me. The coating is really weird though...its almost like my food is sticking onto my tongue and not going down or if I clean off my tongue I can see it creeping back up. It doesnt cover my whole tongue. Just mainly the back and all around the swollen taste buds. I'm not sure if I'm just plain intolerant to the chicken and potatoes of if its because they are both high in glutamates. I think if that were the case it may be more true for the chicken because I know there are times when I was totally unaffected by chicken. The potatoes on the other hand never sat well with me.

Man, I think I've become a magnet for bad luck since I got sick. People used to always tell me I was spoiled with good luck and that how come nothing bad ever happened to me. Well sheesh...its definately all caught up to me...I've had my share and then some the past 3 years. Today I kinda wrecked the side of my car. It was only the molding under the passenger door but still. My car is low (an eclipse) and I scraped it good against one of those cement planter things they have in parking lots. The whole piece came off but I was able to snap it back on. Its just very damaged now. :(

My boss took me to an auto body shop where he knows the owners and I'm getting a really good deal but what a way to start off my vacation!

More things have happened to my car in the past 60 days than in the entire time I've owned it!! :huh:

Oh well it will be nice when everything looks new and freshly painted again. :)

Rinne,

I wanted to reply to your posts and also to explain the thing with gelatin. I've seen a good description of how gelatin contains msg but need to find the link so I can post it for you and anyone else who's curious about that. I'm so glad you're learning from this thread! When I started this thread I didnt know anything about MSG so I was just as shocked as you are about how this stuff is hidden in everything....but I guess you've probably read all that by now. At the rate you're going you should be all caught up very soon. :)

In the meantime....I'm having a hard time keeping up now. :huh:

I will definately get that info about the gelatin for you but I have to go food shopping and then heading out to see a movie. As soon as I get a chance I'll post what I find. It seems that I'm doing more things outside of the house now which is a really good sign....maybe I'm coming out of my shell. :D

Also Rinne, isnt it amazing how much the supplements, which we thought we helping us, were actually holding us back and making us sicker! I'm so glad you found that info. and are feeling better now. Not taking supplements has made the biggest difference for me. I dont have any fatigue at all now and my chemical sensitivities and moods are way better....and thats just a few of the things that have improved.

Donna, Did you eat the same amount of chicken as last time cuz sometimes reactions are dose related so if you dont have enough in your system you may not react....maybe eat the chicken 2 days in a row to be sure.

Rachel-

I also can't so potatoes or chicken. Potatoes never really sat well with me but chicken used to be fine. Now one bite and I feel like my throat is closing. I still am wary but the lamb wchihc is the lowest along with veal in glutamates seems to be alright. I guess I might try veal too although I always said it was somehting I woulden't eat . At this point I will eat anything that sits ok though.

Miamia

Archived