• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Lollie

Going On Vacation!

Rate this topic

We'll be leaving Friday for a week at the beach!!!!! B)B)B)

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should pack, food wise? The island has grocery stores, but I have no idea if they have any gluten-free products. ;) I was thinking about making some cocoa pebble treats (like rice krispie treats) and some peanut butter cookies to have in the car for snacks. We'll be in the car for 2 days for the trip. :o I think I will buy some of my rice I love. But is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated! :D

Lollie

I would take some gluten-free bread in case you can't get any there.

Does it have to stay refrigerated? I don't know if we will have a cooler or not yet! Won't know until we get the car packed! I wasn't sure if it would go bad on the way.

Lollie

I've let mine thaw out I eat the bread during the week. I think the bread should be fine for about 5 days after thawing, just make sure that the bread isn't in direct sunlight or in extrememly hot places.

I've let mine thaw out I eat the bread during the week. I think the bread should be fine for about 5 days after thawing, just make sure that the bread isn't in direct sunlight or in extrememly hot places.

Thanks! I will add to my list. We usually make sandwiches on the way instead of eating fast food junk!

Lollie

I've heard of some people taking Energ bread on vacation because it doesn't need to be frozen. I'd just pack a big cooler with as much stuff as you can. Have fun!

Lollie

the engrg tappico bread I like and you don't have to be as careful with as the others.

did you get my long list of 'things to take' i sent by email.

judy

We'll be leaving Friday for a week at the beach!!!!! B)B)B)

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should pack, food wise? The island has grocery stores, but I have no idea if they have any gluten-free products. ;) I was thinking about making some cocoa pebble treats (like rice krispie treats) and some peanut butter cookies to have in the car for snacks. We'll be in the car for 2 days for the trip. :o I think I will buy some of my rice I love. But is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated! :D

Lollie

If you have time to look for them, I love the Fruit Leather fruit-roll-up-like snacks! And EnerG crackers are the closest to saltines that I have been able to find. I love them with peanut butter! Maybe you could put p-nut butter on one, and smush another on top, and then you have it in a baggie for the trip! I also eat planters nuts (in the travel "tube", like a single serving tube) but I can't remember if you have a nut allergy also. But they are gluten-free. And glutino pretzels, if you can find them before friday, are SO good! Hope that helps! (Oh, and I don't know if the celiac.com jury is still out on m&m's, but I eat them as a quick snack if I am in the store and starving or something, so maybe a bag of those for the "good" treats! LOL)

I am going on a trip to China very soon and I can only have one carry-on and one suitcase. I will be gone for 21 days. I will be able to eat plain rice while out and about part of the time but I would like to bring gluten-free snacks and some options for when I get stuck. I need ideas. I'm a little stressed on the travel aspects of celiac disease and not being able to read labels and cross contamination issues w/ language barriers. Can anyone think of any backpacking food that is lightweight/high protein and doesn't take up too much room and would be allowed in international baggage? Thanks for any ideas.

Guest Viola

Thai Kitchen soup bowls only require boiling water. We have a little car kettle that plugs into the lighter plug.

Thank you all so much!!!!! I will miss ya'll this week! But I will be thinking about ya'll....

Judy- I'll throw a piece of sea glass for you!

Lollie

Let just wish you a safe trip first!! Now I can tell you how jealous I am that you are going to the beach :), I am trying to locate a decent priced beachhouse in Wildwood NJ at the moment....anyway

I would also pack some fruit and veggies that you can snack on. Glutino and Enjoy Life both make decent tasting snack, I actually keep the Enjoy Life ones in my desk at work. Those cocoa treats sound yummy by the way. Also if you have kids the NeoPet's cereal is gluten free and is a good snack.

The EnerG bread does travel nice, Tapioca for me personally came as close to white bread as I could get. I am still thinking of more ideas and when I get some I will log back on and help!