This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This Is Nuts!

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Okay how can I go from "I can eat anything with out any problems all my life" , to haveing so many dang food isues that I cant seem to isolate anything!!!

Now it seems like Oranges, Apples, and Dairy are on they make me sick list??? I am TRYING to eat healthy whole foods that travel well, and this junk making me sick???? Surely somthing else has to be going on! I cant realy be this bad off? Whats next, Im gonan be alergic to anything with WATER in it???

I cant get any flipen kind of test to give any postive result, I am just sick all the time, and its realy wearing down on my patence. That and the lack of sleep cuase by my toddlers teething! But at least htat will pass :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bluejeangirl Contributor

Are you drinking too much coffee. Sometimes when the acidity is too high in stomach foods will make you sick especially the first things you eat in the morning. Fruit is also high in acid which adds to the problem.

Try eating foods that are alkalizing and maybe some anti acids for awhile. I know its hard to advise less coffee when your almost depending on it to stay awake but it would help.

Don't hit me....gail

penguin Community Regular

Don't know about the apples...

About the itchy oranges, I posted in your other thread about that. Being spring...I wouldn't be surprised if it was oral allergy.

The best allergy test for foods is an elimination diet, it sucks.

tarnalberry Community Regular

this is where a hard-core elimination diet can help. they suck, and they require a lot of pre-planning, and did I mention they suck. (they are harder mentally, than physically, because you are litterally eating no more than a dozen foods in a week, and maybe only four or five in a day - that includes your spices and cooking tools like oils.) the basic premise is that you go do a very low number of very easy to digest, very hypoallergenic foods - you'll want to do some research on them, I certainly don't remember (I do know grapes weren't on the list). you eat nothing but those foods for two weeks. then you add in other foods, one at a time, one week at a time. it is a long, slow, mentally challenging process. it's HARD. but it is better than the 'eliminate one thing at a time' route, if you're dealing with multiple intolerances.

VydorScope Proficient

I saw your reply about the oranages and grass, but I dont have any allergy to grass that I know of. Ragweek, mold, dust, and oak are my primary allergies in that dept.

I just ate some oranges, and its been serval hours since I have eaten anything else and very shortly after I started with the stupod GI issues. Abdominal pain, gas, etc. Add headahce, and poor contration to that... and the tingly lips only last very very breifly. Every timti start to get better a need food pops up and I get sick! Its baffling, I cant have all these problems suddnely?!?

kabowman Explorer

Could it be a yeast thing? I had to give up fruit - they have yeast. Also included in that list is yeast, of course, baked sweet things can occasionally if left out too long, tomatoes have a similar yeast in them (I can eat them in limited amounts), vinegar, jams and jellies, most alcohol including wine...

I agree with tarnalberry - a hard core elimiation diet. Keep up with it until you feel better, then add something back in. A real pain, and not fun to say the least but at least on the other side, you might figure out exactly what could be the problem.

VydorScope Proficient

how much could ther be left to cut out? I already am Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut free and gluten-free :blink: . If I remove fruits I am down to bunless hamburgers... at every meal!

Typical day for me latly..

Get up , have ONE cup of coffee black with dry ceral for breakfast (DariFree on order). Thats breakfast. Then for a mid morning snack I would have some fruit. Lunch... typical more dry ceral unless theres left overs from dinner. Afternoon snack.. usally Sunmaid rasins. Love my rasins!!! THen dinner is what even the wife cooks up, usaully Tinyakadaya somthing pasta, or some chicken or beef meal. After dinner is normaly Natural Lays Backed Sea Salt potatoe chips, fruit or more dry ceral.

Every time I find somthing that seems to make me sick I have removed it, but theres runnig out fo replacement options.. lost an inch of my waiste line already, and I was at a good wieght. :( Im hungry all the time now, ate FOUR bunless burgers for a SNACK the other night. And then had big smoothie to wash it down with. Was still hungry...

I even stoped my Centrium and Zytrec! Only vit I get now is the childerns gummy ones that say gluten-free/DF/etc on them. Called "Soda vits" or somthing like that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

that's a lot of carbs - is this a hypoglycemic thing you're getting? it sounds similar to my symptoms.

VydorScope Proficient
that's a lot of carbs - is this a hypoglycemic thing you're getting? it sounds similar to my symptoms.

How would I know? Any test I can do (perferably with any docs, Im sick of seeing yet another doc... years go by... sigh)

Just foudn this on the NIH page for Hypoglycemia..

Symptoms

Symptoms of hypoglycemia include

* hunger

* nervousness and shakiness

* perspiration

* dizziness or light-headedness

* sleepiness

* confusion

* difficulty speaking

* feeling anxious or weak

Hypoglycemia can also happen while you are sleeping. You might

* cry out or have nightmares

* find that your pajamas or sheets are damp from perspiration

* feel tired, irritable, or confused when you wake up

Ones in bold, fit. SO how do I know?? ug back to google...

How would I know? Any test I can do (perferably with any docs, Im sick of seeing yet another doc... years go by... sigh)

Just foudn this on the NIH page for Hypoglycemia..

Ones in bold, fit. SO how do I know?? ug back to google...

I was thinking the same thing as Tiffany, that's a lot of carbs. Mostly simple carbs, at that.

There is a test that dr's can do where you drink a syrup after fasting and see how long it takes you for your blood sugar to run down.

My dr. refused to do it on me, because it's cruel. Hypoglycemic episodes are awful, especially when they're severe. I've been hypoglycemic since I was 12 or so.

The best way to know is when you get that sick feeling is to eat some protein or a balanced meal and see if you feel better. Caffene aggrivates low blood sugar as well.

It sucks to have to force yourself to eat when you're nauseated and otherwise feeling crappy, but you learn to do it.

VydorScope Proficient
I was thinking the same thing as Tiffany, that's a lot of carbs. Mostly simple carbs, at that.

There is a test that dr's can do where you drink a syrup after fasting and see how long it takes you for your blood sugar to run down.

My dr. refused to do it on me, because it's cruel. Hypoglycemic episodes are awful, especially when they're severe. I've been hypoglycemic since I was 12 or so.

The best way to know is when you get that sick feeling is to eat some protein or a balanced meal and see if you feel better. Caffene aggrivates low blood sugar as well.

It sucks to have to force yourself to eat when you're nauseated and otherwise feeling crappy, but you learn to do it.

When I get all shakey and stuff I crave rasins. I cant explain why, but I do... prehaps thats not the gest path?

Wonder what I can have around for a protien snack.. what about those shakes? Balanced meals are somthing i only dream of any more... with all the foods I aviod, meals are what I can find in a local dumpster it seems! (okay not extactly.... :D )

When I get all shakey and stuff I crave rasins. I cant explain why, but I do... prehaps thats not the gest path?

Wonder what I can have around for a protien snack.. what about those shakes? Balanced meals are somthing i only dream of any more... with all the foods I aviod, meals are what I can find in a local dumpster it seems! (okay not extactly.... :D )

You crave raisins because of the sugar. There are a lot of foods that will get your blood sugar up in 10 minutes, but you have to eat real food soon after. Some of the things are a regular coke, a couple packets of sugar, hard candy, glucose tablets, orange juice...

Beef jerky works good for a protein snack. Some Bridgeford jerky is gluten-free, can be found at Wal Mart, but I don't know if it is cf.

Peanut butter works well.

Are you allergic to eggs or just the kiddo? Boiled eggs, perhaps?

I try not to eat tinkyada pasta too much, because it makes me crash not long after eating it.

If you have protein powder in the smoothies, those will work.

Meats are ok, right?

VydorScope Proficient
You crave raisins because of the sugar. There are a lot of foods that will get your blood sugar up in 10 minutes, but you have to eat real food soon after. Some of the things are a regular coke, a couple packets of sugar, hard candy, glucose tablets, orange juice...

Beef jerky works good for a protein snack. Some Bridgeford jerky is gluten-free, can be found at Wal Mart, but I don't know if it is cf.

Peanut butter works well.

Are you allergic to eggs or just the kiddo? Boiled eggs, perhaps?

I try not to eat tinkyada pasta too much, because it makes me crash not long after eating it.

If you have protein powder in the smoothies, those will work.

Meats are ok, right?

As far as I know meats are okay... but I used to say that about fruits too! :( Eggs are cause of my son, again as far as I know they are okay... just like oranges and apples were couple weeks ago... Never liked beef jerky, even tried making my own.

Protien powder? Never used... any suggestions? I'l add it ot my Sorbets and Smoothies if that will slove this!

Oh, I stopped with luchmeants cause I was not sure if they were a problem or not, and not been back to them. Hormel is now being carried by my store and htey have perseverative/chemical/gluten free turky slices, might try them I guess...

Mango04 Enthusiast

For protein you can try hard boiled eggs (easily portable), peanut butter, almond butter, nuts, seeds, lentils, beans, meat....

It's possible that coffee bothers you now that you've cut out dairy (or you're now noticing that it bothers you). It could be the cause of all the shakiness etc. You might try cutting that out and see what happens. Just drink water. It does wonders. :)

Make sure you're getting the correct balance of protein and carbs every time you eat. Too much of one or the other will throw you off. You can take a simple metabolic typing test online to find the correct ratios of carbs to protein for you (everyone is different).

I react to oranges and apples and things like that when I'm eating something else I'm intolerant to. For example, when I was trying to eat goat cheese I was reacting crazily (if that's a word) to oranges. I'm just saying it could be one intolerance you're experiencing...and once you discover it you might be able to eat those other things again.

Or I could be totally wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about :) Just some ideas...

TCA Contributor

You mentioned an allergy to molds. I have severe allergies to molds. Because of this I have trouble with some foods like chedder cheese and orange juice. I am extremely sensitive to the mold that grows on citrus fruits. During the juicing process, all of the mold is not removed, so small amounts get into the juice, making me sick like you described, plus I have histamine allergy type symptoms. If I eat oranges I have to wash them throughly with soap before peeling. Apples have been giving me a stomach ache lately and I realized I was keeping them in the same basket as the oranges and wondered if that was why.

Hypoglycemia might also be a problem. I have issues with this and find that if I eat a lot of little meals through the day it helps. Meat and Peanut butter are great options. Sometimes I snack on Hormel Turkey Pepporoni, or leftovers. PB is a biggie for me too.

I hope you feel better soon!

wolfie Enthusiast

I have been getting the tingly lips lately, too, after eating certain things and I think that oranges were one of them. I can't keep track anymore...so many things are causing issues...LOL! I do have hypoglycemia, though, and there are only limited things that I can eat for a snack and oranges are one of them. It may be the hypoglycemia causing my tingly lips, though. I can't eat apples, grapes or bananas anymore either....gas & pain.

The more protein idea is a good one...I need to work on that as well. I frequently have meals of bunless hamburgers b/c I know that they won't make me feel like crap.

VydorScope Proficient

WEll I'll get some eggs and mayo and make some egg sallad for today I gues...

the best way to find out if you're having hypoglycemic problems is to eat truely balanced meals (at least 25% fat, 25% protein, no more than 50% carbs) at *every* meal/snack for at least four days, and see if you feel different. yes, it's a PITA, but it may make a big difference. dcotors office tests - and this is something my doctor told me - will only catch fairly serious cases, and only if you've been eating in such a way to put yourself in that state. I never show up on the tests as actually being hypoglycemic, but my doctor, based on my symptoms, has noted that I need to be careful of hypoglycemic symptoms.

one important thing to remember here isn't that you need to eat lots and lots of protein, it's that you need to avoid lots and lots of carbs, particularly simple carbs. so fat is good too!

eggs are a good choice, as are nuts, meats, and seeds. you can have hot cereal, for instance, but go with a high fiber/high protein one (like millet grits) and make half of it flax meal. you can have an apple (if you determine it doesn't give you an allergic reaction!), but put plenty of peanut butter on it!

consider making use of fitday.com for a little while to get used to sorting out macronutrient proportions.

VydorScope Proficient
the best way to find out if you're having hypoglycemic problems is to eat truely balanced meals (at least 25% fat, 25% protein, no more than 50% carbs) at *every* meal/snack for at least four days, and see if you feel different. yes, it's a PITA, but it may make a big difference. dcotors office tests - and this is something my doctor told me - will only catch fairly serious cases, and only if you've been eating in such a way to put yourself in that state. I never show up on the tests as actually being hypoglycemic, but my doctor, based on my symptoms, has noted that I need to be careful of hypoglycemic symptoms.

one important thing to remember here isn't that you need to eat lots and lots of protein, it's that you need to avoid lots and lots of carbs, particularly simple carbs. so fat is good too!

eggs are a good choice, as are nuts, meats, and seeds. you can have hot cereal, for instance, but go with a high fiber/high protein one (like millet grits) and make half of it flax meal. you can have an apple (if you determine it doesn't give you an allergic reaction!), but put plenty of peanut butter on it!

consider making use of fitday.com for a little while to get used to sorting out macronutrient proportions.

Got any suggestions at what shuch a meal would look like?

most meals can fit that sort of bill, as long as you take care with the proportions.

turkey chili, with plenty of turkey and veggies, for instance.

grilled meat with veggies works, and you can have a side starch, you just can't have two cups of rice or a giant baked potatoe (make it a small one, or just a heaping pile of lower carb veggies)

a spinach salad with eggs or shrimp and plenty of other veggies and regular (not low-fat or some other such silliness) dressing works well

stir-fries can work fine as well, just make sure to not have your plate covered in rice, and moderate your portions of carbs

it's all about moderation. :-) (and reading the rest of the label on the food - not the just the ingredients, but the nutrition section as well. ;-) )

Eating a good breakfast in the morning is also essential

Your mid-morning snack might make you sick because your blood sugar was low anyway and the apple (and orange for that matter) is all sugar. I know that if my blood sugar is low eating sugar makes my stomach hurt.

You can have your cereal for breakfast if you must (I never eat it for breakfast, but usually as an after dinner snack), but make sure you eat some sausage or an egg or something to balance it out, and maybe some orange juice.

VydorScope Proficient

Sooo the Egg Salad, Root Beer, and potateo chips I just got for myself (starving!!!) wouldnto quilfy?

Sooo the Egg Salad, Root Beer, and potateo chips I just got for myself (starving!!!) wouldnto quilfy?

it's just not that simple - it depends on the proportions and the ingredients. most egg salads I've seen have potatoes in them, but if it's just eggs and mayo, then you've got room in there for some chips to round it out. drinking a whole soda on that probably would add too much sugar, but until you've gotten the hang of this, you're going to have to get out either a spreadsheet, fitday.com, or pen/paper/calculator and do the math. you could have those items if you balance them properly, though.

VydorScope Proficient
it's just not that simple - it depends on the proportions and the ingredients. most egg salads I've seen have potatoes in them, but if it's just eggs and mayo, then you've got room in there for some chips to round it out. drinking a whole soda on that probably would add too much sugar, but until you've gotten the hang of this, you're going to have to get out either a spreadsheet, fitday.com, or pen/paper/calculator and do the math. you could have those items if you balance them properly, though.

Well the egg salad had 3 "large" eggs, a squirt of mustard, a splatering of kroger mirical whip, and a splash of salad dressing. :)

VydorScope Proficient

I used fitday when I was doing Atkins years ago (well seems like it...) and I been messing with it while post here, it saays 69/31/7 for this meal. So carbs are down, but fat to high. I did just use teh built in egg salad, since I dont have measurements for what I made...

Archived