This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This Is Nuts!

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Ms Yak... Soy is already gone from my diet, elminated along way. Im serious whne I say Ihave eliminated alomst everything trying to figure this out. Out side of a couple cerals, I eat mostly single ingredient foods (Beef, Fruit, etc). Im losing wieght to fast now. Cant get enough calories with this limited diet. I drink alot fo water, and only occasionly have a diet soda.

Demidge... walking in grass does not bother me. Oak, Mold, Mold mites, Dust, Dust Mites, Ragweed, and Queen Ann's Lace are my major offeendors.

Well I just tried to make a reason breakfast. I had 1/2 a serving of Natures Path conrflaks, 2 hard boiled eggs, a 1/2 cup of OJ... still feel sick. I guess I'll see whne I am at work if I get ravenous... I better not cause I dont have any snacks that are low carb to bring with me. :( Thats 29/53/18 on fitday, I added the ceral as a custom food, used oj and eggs from thier database.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nini

sorry I couldn't explain myself clearly... I realized about 2 in the morning that I had been mysteriously glutened... I can't figure it out. Everything I ate yesterday has been checked, rechecked and triple checked... must've been a crumb from my gluten eating hubby in my kitchen... grrrrrrr

I have fasting hypoglycemia or pre diabetic... once I lost over 100 pounds though, that seems to have really leveled out. Sounds like if you do have hypoglycemia, it's the reactive kind.

I can't think clearly today frustrating, I know all this info about insulin and chromium and the pancreas and blah de blah, and I can't get my brain to work... argh.

VydorScope Proficient

welp its been umm 3 hours or so since breakfast and Im starving, my stomach is hurting, and Im sleepy. So looking at the bag of food my wife made for me (after she read this thread) gueess I'll try the banana and peanutbutter. :huh: This is so stupid, its like im afaird to eat any more.

penguin Community Regular
welp its been umm 3 hours or so since breakfast and Im starving, my stomach is hurting, and Im sleepy. So looking at the bag of food my wife made for me (after she read this thread) gueess I'll try the banana and peanutbutter. :huh: This is so stupid, its like im afaird to eat any more.

Sorry you still feel crappy. :(

You'll figure it out. Small meals more often are probably your best bet, and you may not feel better right away. You also haven't been eating much period, so getting back up to a reasonable calorie level might be hard. I know I'm the one that suggested the oj, but maybe it's too acidic for you right now?

tarnalberry Community Regular

give it a little time if i've been 'off the wagon', it'll take a day or two of eating *well* balanced meals to fix up my blood sugar levels to a maintenance mode. three hours isn't bad when you're getting started. hopefully the banana & pb helps (btw, underripe bananas - at least not overripe), are better, as not all the complex carbs have already been converted to sugars. (i think they taste better that way too. :-) )

VydorScope Proficient

So if I were to try and distill this thread to something I can apply.. I need to

1) Try and eat more often, like ever couple-few hours

2) Each "meal" should have a mix of protien, fat and carbs

3) Carbs should be less then 1/2 the meal, and lower on the gylcomic index

4) If crashing, grab a snickers bar

5) peanuts are your friend.

I think Im gonna run out to publix, get the food for life bread, some jelly and peanutbutter and make sandwiches... would that work? PB&J travels well, and cna handle a bit of squishing :) Like i siad I jsut want somthing foundational, a "safe" spot to start from. Right now I feel so lost again.

Should I drop coffee for a bit, ro swich to decaf? How that play in?

So if I were to try and distill this thread to something I can apply.. I need to

I think Im gonna run out to publix, get the food for life bread, some jelly and peanutbutter and make sandwiches... would that work? PB&J travels well, and cna handle a bit of squishing :) Like i siad I jsut want somthing foundational, a "safe" spot to start from. Right now I feel so lost again.

Sounds about right :)

Personally, I'm not a fan of PB&J, they don't work blood-sugar wise for me. That's just me though, it may work for you. Make sure you put lots of PB on there!

Almonds are also your friend. They're a great snack for the blood sugar minded! They've got protein, fat, and fiber. I eat the blue diamond natural ones.

Snickers bars work to get the sugar back up, but make sure you eat something more substantial as soon as possible after that.

Caffene is something you're going to have to test. Too much in the morning and I'm crashing all day. A cup of coffee is probably ok, and I never understood decaf, since it has almost as much caffene as regular coffee.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

"The Metabolic Typing Diet" is a really helpful book. It helps each individual person find the correct carb:protein:fat ratios for them. It's not a fad diet or anything like that. It's worth picking up and reading if you get a chance.

VydorScope Proficient
I never understood decaf, since it has almost as much caffene as regular coffee.

HUH? Typical cup (8oz, brewed with tap water) of ground coffee, decaf has 2 mg of caffine, regular coffee has 95mg of cafine, where you getting that they are close?

HUH? Typical cup (8oz) of ground coffee, decaf has 2 mg of caffine, regular coffee has 95mg of cafine, where you getting that they are close?

I'm clearly smoking something.

I got my wires crossed. I had read two different things. One was that decaf was actually worse for you than caffenated coffee. Open Original Shared Link

The other thing was someone did a study of coffeehouse decaf and found that it had, in some cases, more caffene than regular coffee. I can't find it now, though. I want to say it was on the today show?

Sorry :rolleyes:

VydorScope Proficient
I'm clearly smoking something.

please share?? :D :D

But back to the question...opkay if PB&J is not good plan... then im still lost... whats a good foundational plan then? why cant this be simpl like gluten-free! Im planing to leave work early and head to Publix so I have some options to create.....

Guest BERNESES

Thaat sounds good. I get hypoglycemic occasionally (it has gotten better since going gluten free) but I got home Sunday night and found myself eating spoonfuls of peanut butter and nutella straight from the jar which worked for a bit but then I felt sick as a dog. And the mood crash lasted well over 224 hours- I was psycho hose beast from Hell.

I try to eat protein (like chicken, beef, turkey, shellfish), with a carb (rice, potatoes) and veggies. I've really tried to stay away from sugar and anything highly processed and it seems to be helping.

I know if I had coffee and an orange for breakfast, I personally would be doubled over in agony. I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. B

jerseyangel Proficient

Vincent--for lunch, why not try a sandwich of sliced turkey or ham with some lettuce and tomato? I agree that you need to eat a good breakfast that includes some protein. Breakfast can also be leftovers from last night's dinner. A midmorning snack of nuts then would be good. I would not get too hung up on trying to be perfect with the whole thing. Eating every 3-4 hours is healthy and normal--going longer can cause those symptoms you are having. As for everything making you sick, go over those things you eat every day--those things are the things that most often turn out to be the culprits for me. The Lay's chips turned out to be a problem for me--after eating them daily for months, I thought "duh" and stopped them on Saturday. My stomach has been better since--not so crampy and less reflux. Still too early to tell if those were the only problem, but foods that you don't suspect and eat often can still be a problem even if you don't get obvious symptons right after eating them.

no one said pb&j wasn't a good plan - it's a matter of you finding out if it'll work for you. on a complex carb (low glycemic load) bread, with plenty of peanut butter, and not too much jam (particularly one that's not too high in sugar), it may be totally fine for you. it works fine for me if I've been eating reasonably balanced for the week.

it really just isn't cut and dry.

loraleena Contributor

I agree you sound hypoglycemic. I also wonder about yeast (candida overgrowth) This can make you feel crappy after you eat high carb stuff. It is also common in celiacs. What strikes me is that you are eating lots of processed high carb foods. Stick to the real stuff. Lean meats, fish, veggies, low glycemic fruits (avoid bananas and melons) and maybe a little grains such as brown rice or quinoa. Brown rice pasta is very high carbs. Make sure you always have protein with the grain, and make sure the higher carb part of your meal is smallest. I am hypoglycemic. Here is an example of my typical food intake.

Breakfast- eggs, gluten free toast or apple, water or water buffalo yogurt

Lunch - Huge salad with lots of veggies and a protein such as tuna, turkey or raw cheese.

Sometimes a Sunshine burger (has brown rice, sesame seeds, carrots in it)

snacks - apple (you may need to have a protien with your fruit) carrots and hummust, yogurt

Dinner - Chicken, salmon or turkey with veggies and sweet potato.

Also things like coco puffs are loaded with sugar, artificial flavors and chemicals. These foods are toxic to your body. Remeber think real food.

Good luck.

key Contributor

Didn't you go on a gluten binge a few weeks ago?? I haven't read everything, but I thought you were doing ok with the gluten for at least a few days. What happened? Maybe you are recovering from that. I know I can't tolerate anything if I have been gluttened or if I am getting gluten in small amounts everyday. I have been up and down with what I can tolerate, but I am trying to remove soy from my diet. I know how you feel though. I never had so many food issues in my life before. Sometimes I am starving and eat and then I feel sick. You may want to cut back a bit on the coffee. I know it is easier said then done, but you said in here once that you drank alot of it. It can make you not have the digestive enzymes you are needing to digest your food. I am just throwing out ideas. I really don't have the answers for you, but wish I did.

HOpe you start feeling better. Fasting won't hurt you though. If that is what you feel your body needs. I am trying to eat small meals more frequently and sticking to a very basic diet. Not giving up dairy yet though. Being vegetarian and soy free, doesn't leave me much.

Monica

VydorScope Proficient
no one said pb&j wasn't a good plan - it's a matter of you finding out if it'll work for you. on a complex carb (low glycemic load) bread, with plenty of peanut butter, and not too much jam (particularly one that's not too high in sugar), it may be totally fine for you. it works fine for me if I've been eating reasonably balanced for the week.

it really just isn't cut and dry.

well its odvious I have not been eating well balanced this week :) OKay so hrm. The food for life bread is rice based, dunno about added sugar though.

Could try letuce tomateo and turkey I guess. (some one mentioned that), mmm BLT sounds tastey too.

As for breakfast... dunno. Enjoylife begals were good, but I image they are high in carbs. Left overs form dinner is not likly since we usually have them for dinner:)

Didn't you go on a gluten binge a few weeks ago?? I haven't read everything, but I thought you were doing ok with the gluten for at least a few days.

Yes, I did a gluten chanallage a while back , had no problems with it, and not realyhad any gluten since. Im convicned that ith my neg blood work, my nonpostive biospy, and non-response to diet that Im not gluten intorent, even though my son is. Been gluten-free still because its much eaiser with a toddler to have the whole house gluten-free.

VydorScope Proficient
Breakfast- eggs, gluten free toast or apple, water or water buffalo yogurt

Lunch - Huge salad with lots of veggies and a protein such as tuna, turkey or raw cheese.

Sometimes a Sunshine burger (has brown rice, sesame seeds, carrots in it)

snacks - apple (you may need to have a protien with your fruit) carrots and hummust, yogurt

Dinner - Chicken, salmon or turkey with veggies and sweet potato.

Eggs, Toast, Fruit... and yogurt? I thought yogurt was high in sugar?

Lunch --> Salad, how do you keep the cost fo that down? Fresh veggies are not cheap :(

What is Hummust?

I dont think dinners are an issue, my iwfe usally makes a beef or chicken meal of some kind. We only get the Tinykinlk-somthing-a past when we can make the hike to Wild oats...I would like to eat it more often, but with gas prices climbing and free time decressing, we dont get out there much.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Lunch --> Salad, how do you keep the cost fo that down? Fresh veggies are not cheap :(

If you buy more fresh veggies, and less packaged food, you'll be surprised at how much your grocery bill goes down. For example, organic carrots are $.75/pound. I can buy enough carrots to last me an entire week for less than two bucks. I buy that instead of a box of gluten-free crackers, which would cost about $4...and well you get my point....

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

You must do a simple cave man diet.... nothing else will work.

Many of us have been throught this before.

You'll learn the hard way... I did!

VydorScope Proficient

okay back from the store, and Im more confused then ever.

OKay when I did aktins, I know I had a number of carb per day that I would hit approxitmly and eat as much fat and protient as it took to fill me up. I lost from 200 pounds to 160 that way, then increased that carb number to stablizer my wieght where I wanted it. That number took some trial and error to find, but I started at about 60 carbs a day and adjusted up and down till I found it (loosing to fast? add some, etc).

Once I had that number, I knew that I would use those carbs up with salad veggies first, dairy, nuts, beans, those kinds of things then on to berries, and so on up the gylcomic ladder, but not to far up. I also never counted fiber when checking carbs. I was very success full, and felt years yonger.

SooOoOOOoOooOooo how do I work that out with this? For example I had some prodcut in my hand in the store that had 15g fat, 37g total carbs, and 9g protien. How do I read those numbers and have that tell me if its good t eat at all, and if I need supliment it with more protine or fat?

THank you so much, I have read ever post, and every pm... sorry I cant reply to each of you indvually, but I realy realy do appreacite the help!!!!!

CarlaB Enthusiast

I know the coffee conversation was a while back ... I'm a big Starbucks fan. I either drink a latte, a regular cup of coffee, or a chai daily. In the event I'm constipated ... a venti regular or decaf will do the trick, so I don't think it matters.

OJ can mess up my stomach, and I can tolerate just about anything as long as it doesn't have gluten.

lol... oh, vincent! I feel for you... with your astronomy, and this post, I'm guessing you're a pure science type. but don't forget the art that goes into science. if physics lab taught me nothing else, it's that there *is* an awful lot of art to the science. ;-) and this, in particular, is simply NOT straight numbers.

but your experience with atkins may give you a foundation to start with. you may find that going back on atkins will help - you don't have to go all the way to induction, maintenance would be fine most likely. there's a good argument, in the case of dealing with hypoglycemia, to further get away from packaged products, and stick with natural foods. that may mean making larger portions at dinner, so you've got leftovers for lunch, of course. ;-)

for that particular product... I'd probably look at the sugar - if it was mostly simple carbs, I'd say it would be too high for me. if it was complex carbs, it would probably be fine. (I'd be looking at the ingredient list to find out where those carbs were coming from.)

VydorScope Proficient
lol... oh, vincent! I feel for you... with your astronomy, and this post, I'm guessing you're a pure science type.

Lets see Degree in General Math, Degree in Statistics, Degree in Comp Sci... nope not a number guy at all :lol:

I guess I need find my Aktins books, I forget what kinds of foods are complex carbs.......

CarlaB Enthusiast

Gosh, being into numbers that make sense and are predictable, this disease has to be really frustrating for you!! It's just not as cut and dry as an equation! Yea, I think I'd take Calculus any day over celiac!

Archived