This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Complicated Fertility Issues-but Could I Be Pregnant?

beelzebubble

beelzebubble Contributor

at 14 i was diagnosed with pcos, at 19 with hypothyroidism, at 29 with gluten intolerance. at 29, i'd never had a period on my own, and i was told that i didn't ovulate. about a year after changing my diet because of the gluten intolerance (no processed foods, lots of raw fruits and veggies, low sugar, etc), i started menstruating-boy, was i surprised. over the last two years since then, i've become pretty regular, having my period for about 7 days every 30 days. i am on no medications other than thyroid meds because i no longer need birth control to induce my periods and (i thought) i don't ovulate.

in january of this year, my new endocrinologist discovered that my thyroid dosage was too low and upped my meds. i feel much better, but these last few weeks have been a little odd. i've been a bit emotional and fatigued as well as nauseated on and off and now my period is 11 days late. i didn't really think much of it since it can be so easily explained by my cornucopia of conditions. yesterday, however, while i was at the grocery store i was disgusted by the smells coming from the bakery and meat depts. a little warning bell went off in my head on the way home as i remembered my mum being like that when she was pregnant. i've taken two hpt's and they each came back negative. i've read, however, that they are not always accurate for pcos'ers.

i'm not ttc, so this isn't a wishful thinking scenario. what are your thoughts? is it possible (gasp) that i am pregnant?!

bubble

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, 11 days might not be enough for anything to come up positive yet. But I remember going shopping especially with my last pregnancy, and going into the meat department, and having to leave immediately. My husband would have to go later and buy the meat.

So, sure, it is entirely possible that you are pregnant. Time will tell!

CarlaB Enthusiast

It is possilbe for pregnancy tests to have a false negative. The positives are usually more accurate.

amybeth Enthusiast

My sister got a negative at the doctors and a positive at home a week later - and she was diagnosed with pcos years ago........ My niece is 6 mo. old now!! Might be too early for the test to tell......

Her (almost instant) smell aversion was to her beloved morning cup of coffee.

wolfie Enthusiast

Maybe you could test again in a week or have your dr run a blood test.

I couldn't walk down the fabric softener/air freshener/detergent aisle when I was pregnant...made me gag!

beelzebubble Contributor

thank you all for your replies. i'm honestly just stumped. it was such a funny conversation i had with myself in the car:

-that was weird.

-yeah, sometimes it sucks to have such a good sense of smell.

-yes...but...that's never happened before. i mean, who gets grossed out by the smell of food.

-mum did.

-yeah, but that was when she was pregnant.

-heh, i remember that. but you can't be pregnant.

-right. i mean i don't ovulate...i don't even have periods...on...my...ow...whoa...er...

-calm down. you may get your period on your own now, but that doesn't mean you are fertile, something would really have had to change in order for that to happen.

-you're right. phew............................um, you mean like drastically changing my diet and losing 40 pounds? wasn't that when i started having a period?

-yes. but, you haven't used hormones in the 3 years since then and you've never ovulated.

-that might be true, but how would i know?

-wouldn't bells go off or something? fireworks? a parade?

-hehe...er...no. okay...think really hard, have there been any signs that i could have ovulated?

-you mean like the few weeks where you wanted to...um...you know...a lot? you remember, it started around february and has happened a couple of times since then.

-hmmm. yeah, i remember. that was about a month after i changed my thyroid meds.

-errrr...can't hypothyroidism cause infertility.

-THAT'S IT. you're right. so, i can't be pregnant.

-err...until they get you on the right dosage...

-bugger. so, what it really comes down to, is i can't be pregnant because pcos causes infertility and i know this because i don't get periods on my own. except now i do. and i can't be pregnant because gluten intolerance causes infertility. except that i'm gluten free now, and it was after i went gluten free that i started having my period. and i can't be pregnant because hypothyroidism causes infertility, unless you are on the correct dose. which i am now. and i can't be pregnant because i don't ovulate, except i might have. is that all right?

-um...i think we'd better stop at the drug store.

-bugger.

i think i'm going to give it the weekend and try again with an hpt. either way, unless i get my period i'm going to make an appt. to see the doctor.

please feel free to weigh in, this is going to be a loooooong weekend.

penguin Community Regular

At least you always have someone to talk to, even if it is yourself :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
At least you always have someone to talk to, even if it is yourself :P

Speaking of babies... whos that in your avatar? :D

Guhlia Rising Star

When I was pregnant, the first thing that I noticed was that baby's crying sounded beautiful instead of annoying. The second thing that I noticed was EXTREMELY sensitive breasts. The third thing was the food aversion/craving thing. God help me, I swear that peanut butter and black olives tasted great on bread. :o

CarlaB Enthusiast

Yea, Beelzebubble, love the avatar!! Very cool.

The pregnancy hormones are weaker in the beginning, so you can get a false negative, then have it turn out to be positive later. First thing in the morning is the best time to check.

penguin Community Regular
Speaking of babies... whos that in your avatar? :D

My littlest neice at christmas, we were dancing :)

beelzebubble Contributor

i decided that i should go see my doctor, so i made an appt for tues. thought you guys would like to know. i'll let you know when i know more.

take care,

bubble

Guest cassidy

I haven't had the problems you have, but I was on bc for about 14 years to regulate my periods. Since I got off in January, I have been completely irregular.

I got this great book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It explains your cycles and gives you fertility signs so you can tell which part of your cycle you are in. If you don't end up being pregnant, you might consider reading the book. The book tells you how to take your temperature every morning so you can see if you have ovulated or not. It can be used to try to get pregnant, or to make sure that you don't. Currently, I'm on day 33 of my cycle, but I haven't ovulated yet, so I'm not worried.

Good luck at the doctor's!

Guest BERNESES

Beezlebub- Conversation with self was brilliant! I remember having lots of those when I feared I was preggers and didn't want to be! Hope all is OK.

beelzebubble Contributor

i'm not pregnant. thank the gods :). now, of course, i'm wondering what is throwing my cycle off and causing me such nausea. mmmm, gluten, perhaps? i suppose i'll be looking closely at my diet again.

take care all.

bubble

Guest BERNESES

Beezlebub- Glad you're relieved. I actually was just reading something about having high estrogen throwing off your cycles and making you nauseous. I have high estrogen and it's doing both. Do you eat a lot of soy? Or maybe it's gluten. Eeither way, hope you feel better. B

Archived