This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update On Maddie

KayJay

KayJay Enthusiast

Just wanted to update you all on Maddie. She is doing great! We saw the GI yesterday and she hit a growth spurt last week I think. She shot up in height and gained a little over a pound in 4 months. :D She is about to be 1 in two weeks and so we are doing a milk challenge this week. I am to give her one bottle of milk-based formula every morning for a week. If she does fine on that she can move to whole milk. I gave it to her today and she did great! I couldn't believe it! I guess tomorrow will be a bigger challenge.

He also said as far as Celiac goes we can start her on Wheat once we figure out the milk issue. He said it is up to us but at this time keeping her off Wheat will not hurt her or help her. Meaning if she is going to get Celiac she will get it But it is up to us as to when we want to introduce Wheat. I just wanted to pass that info on because I know several of you are in the same situation as we are. He said at one their intestines should be healed and sealed like an adult so wheat should be safe now as far as Celiac and all that goes. Now we just wait and see what happens. But so far everything looks great! I was so happy to hear all of that :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mn farm gal Apprentice

Has she been diagonosed Celiac? And if so why would they tell you to put her back on wheat? I am new here and this is just confusing me. Sorry

imsohungry Collaborator

Kayjay,

I am so glad Maddie is responding well to the milk-based formula introduction! :) She has grown a pound and gotten longer?! Yay! :) Was she having a problem gaining weight (or failure to thrive)? What did they attribute it to? I hope she continues to respond well to her dietary change...she sure is a cute litte girl :P She looks like a happy baby! Take Care. -Julie

KayJay Enthusiast

Sorry I will fill you in on the details...

I have Celiac and so no gluten for a year was the doctors orders with Celiac being in the family we just weren't sure. Since day one Maddie has bad reflux and then at 5 months we found out she either had an intolerance or allergy to milk and soy and sweet potatoes. My dh is allergic to peanuts so with both of our genes the doctor was a little cautious her first year until her intestines healed better. She couldn't have any solid foods until she was 8.5 months. She got very very sick with both milk and soy so I am very surprise that she can tolerate okay so far. It is amazing to me. I am scared to introduce wheat but I don't see why not at this point. No reason to deprive her you know?

As far as her growing she started out in the 50% in everything and is now down to 5%. She stopped growing all together for a few months and then suddenly grew last week. My mom said I was the same way. :rolleyes:

The doctor thought she could have intolerance to milk and soy and if that was the case they would go away at a year. If it is an allergy it wouldn't. So right now it looks like an intolerance. But again it is still too soon to know for sure. She was up quite a bit last night not sure if this is all related or not. <_<

TCA Contributor

So glad she's doing well! Good luck on the food trials!

schuyler Apprentice

I'm so happy that she's doing well.

She is a beautiful little girl, and she looks so happy.

Good luck with the food trials.

imsohungry Collaborator

Thanks for filling me in on the details. I'm so glad to hear that she is finally growing! I know you are a relieved mommy. :) Keep us updated! -Julie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived