This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alba Therapeutics Announces Phase Ii Trial For Zonulin Antagonist At-1001

gfp

gfp Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

BALTIMORE, Sept. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Alba Therapeutics Corp. today announced that it had dosed its first patient in a Phase II trial for the treatment of Celiac Disease (celiac disease). In October of last year, the FDA granted "Fast Track" designation to AT-1001, an orally administered zonulin receptor antagonist for treatment of Celiac Disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Thanks for posting. I have heard Dr. Patterson speak and am so impressed with their research. Thanks for the update, Steve!

Laura

Sweetfudge Community Regular

yay! i wish there was something i could do to help the process along!

happygirl Collaborator
yay! i wish there was something i could do to help the process along!

sweetfudge-if you are a biopsy proven celiac and want to register for their clinical trials, you can go to their website www.albatherapeutics.com.

It is exciting! Hearing him speak in person and really understanding it gave me a lot of hope.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Yay! But will you have to be a biopsy proven celiac to get a prescription for it?

TriticusToxicum Explorer

I'm cautiously optimistic. "Fast Track" always worries me though...

hez Enthusiast

I am trying not to get my hopes up. However, I really would love the freedom of travel, eating out and going to friends houses without the worry of being really sick.

Hez

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

It is designated fast track because there are no other "cures" or "remedies" for Celiac. Any disease that doesn't have a cure, and has promising research, would be eligibile fast track status. And by fast track, it still means years....

One of Dr. Fassano's first publications on zonulin (which is part of the premise behind the drug) was in 2001...(Open Original Shared Link) which meant his research was going on for years before that, plus the time to publish it. It still has to go through each step of the approved FDA process. So, while fast track sounds good, it does not mean they are rushing through, but more of cutting through some of the red tape for diseases that have no other known cure.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived