This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Celiac Living

HawkFire

HawkFire Explorer

Where is the best place in the country to live if you have celiac disease? Some towns are better than others offering restaurants known to be friendly to celiacs and having health food shopping marts that offer extensive lines of gluten free products. Some towns and states are not known for their knowledge.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest CD_Surviver

columbus ohio is not to bad to live in

happygirl Collaborator

I would guess NYC...there are so many gluten free specialty places.

There are a couple places in AZ known for their gluten free pizza---thats enough to be good!

daffadilly Apprentice

NYC second choice Austin, Texas

mamaw Community Regular

I would have to guess NY---next maybe the denver co. area. I'm not near anything so for me anywhere but here would be an improvement!!!!!!!!!! I really envy some of you having soooo many choices...

mamaw

Guhlia Rising Star

I would think Orlando, FL would be a pretty good place to live. They have all the normal Celiac standby's like Outback, Carraba's, P.F. Changs, plus they have Planet Hollywood (Celiac friendly) and all of the Disney stuff which is VERY Celiac friendly.

GFBetsy Rookie

Nope. It's definitely Utah! :D We've got the U of U (which did a huge genetic study on celiac . . . which has now moved to UC Santa Barbara, I think), fabulous GIG support groups, and TONS of people who were diagnosed during the U of U study. Just before Halloween I overheard some people in the grocery store looking for "gluten free, chocolate free, peanut free" candy . . . and of course I stuck my oar in and helped them find some!

Of course, we don't have Disneyland . . . but there are gluten free cooking classes held at a Utah grocery chain all up and down the Wasatch front . . . and if that's not cool, what is?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Seattle has a number of places with gluten-free specific menus, including bakeries.

Los Anglese (and the whole surrounding area) had a fair number of options as well.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Utah's pretty good, as Betsy said.

But I have to say that every time I visit my family up in Portland, I get a bit homesick...and jealous. They've got all the stuff I have to buy at health food stores in the main grocery stores! I've seen gluten free menus in many restaurants, I've even visited a gluten-free candy shop! I feel like there's so much more awareness up in PDX...wish we had that down here in UT.

Gamecreature Rookie

I used to live in Eugene and I think Oregon must be ground zero for organic food. :) I think there's a gluten-free pizza place out there, too.

Archived