Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angst2amity

Brainiac Celiac?

From my casual experience based on looking at posts on different sites, and sizing up people in my area, people with celiac seem to be highly intellectual. Now I know celiac strikes those with Down's Syndrome and the Autism Spectrum - so there are lower and higher IQ's, and everything in between involved. But, on average what do you think?

I am not diagnosed yet, so I am not including myself in anyway.

Chronic Ear Infections

Chronic Tooth/Jaw Infections

Chronic Sinus Infections

Recent Sinus Surgeries

New Migraines

New Occipital Neuralgia

New SUPER HIGH ANA

New Vitamin D deficiency

New High Calcium - hyperparathyroidism?

Recent Sugar & Wheat Intolerance - Facial Flushing and Headache

Lyme Negative

12/06 Tested (-) for Celiac after 2 - 3 months Gluten Free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think that if you're looking primarily at forums, you've got a highly skewed sample that is demonstratably not representative of the celiac population in a number of ways, and IQ is likely only one of them.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

There are a lot of intellectual people here, now that you mention it. It would be an interesting thing to study.

I think that GFP, who used to post here, brought up the possible connection of celiac / swedish / shyness. It was a discussion asking how many people here are shy in real life, and there were quite a few. He mentioned that maybe it's due to the fact that in the pre-industrial pre-city-dwelling generations in Scandinavia there was a lot of solitude during long winters. Not much socializing other than with people in your own town, or even just with your own extended family.

I think that someday there should be a celiac foundation solely for the purpose of addressing these types of questions.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

There are a lot of intellectual people here, now that you mention it. It would be an interesting thing to study.

I think that GFP, who used to post here, brought up the possible connection of celiac / swedish / shyness. It was a discussion asking how many people here are shy in real life, and there were quite a few. He mentioned that maybe it's due to the fact that in the pre-industrial pre-city-dwelling generations in Scandinavia there was a lot of solitude during long winters. Not much socializing other than with people in your own town, or even just with your own extended family.

I think that someday there should be a celiac foundation solely for the purpose of addressing these types of questions.

Nancy

Hey Nancy, now we meet over here, huh?... :P

I agree... There are a fair amount of the intellectual type on this message board. A far greater number than many of the other message boards I have taken part in. Perhaps it has to do with Celiac having a correlation with IQ. I'd sooner think though that it has more to do with the effect of IQ on your position with healthcare. It seems likely to me that those with higher IQ's would find more resources, such as this message board, to take their health and care into their own hands. In addition, those with higher IQ may be more motivated to manage their health, which could lead to a higher rate in Celiac diagnoses. This would be purely due to educated care decisions rather than the actual intelligence/Celiac correlation (if one exists).

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

well, a couple of years ago, the school sent me a letter telling me that molly is considered gifted and talented. tianna and kassie test VERY high on standardized testing, and tianna is a grade ahead in math. these are my 3 celiac girls----but the rest of my kids are also very smart. so, this could either just be luck or genetics----but then, celiac is genetics, too.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

All the Celiacs I know personally are biology professors. Go figure.

Dx wheat allergy, possible Celiac disease. 

Dx Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome with wheat as a trigger. 

I would also argue that more "intellectual" people might be more likely to pursue a Celiac diagnosis - both because they would most likely be financially able to, and because they would probably be more educated about health care (and access to resources).

Interesting observation, nevertheless.

- Lauren

Just look at all the Aspies. We may be socially inept but we research stuff to death :D

I know all my family are high IQ testers. It will be nice to see how far my children go without the gluten cloud. They are doing great so far.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

My kids and I are ADHD or ADD . . . all have tested with high IQ's. Go figure . . . .

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

How 'bout: We have to work so hard to think through the brain fog, that when our heads are finally clear - thinking is a breeze!

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

How 'bout: We have to work so hard to think through the brain fog, that when our heads are finally clear - thinking is a breeze!

:lol::lol::lol:

I COMPLETELY agree on that one!

Vicky

Guest cassidy

Well, I'm one of the not so smart ones, so not everyone here is a genius. Just kidding.

I wonder if we are mistaking intelligence for education. I'm sure many people here are intelligent, just like many people in all walks of life are. I think most of us have been through some pretty tough medical situations where we became educated about what was happening and why. Celiac is a disease that you can't take casually. You can't say "that looks gluten free" or "one bite won't hurt me." Most of us have had to learn to read labels and become detectives and really learn how to live without getting ourselves sick. Doctors don't always understand celiac so many of us have wanted to learn ourselves.

Also, I agree that most people here give great advice. It definitely seems like people take an interest in trying to help you. If someone is asking a question about something I went through 6 months ago, then I can probably give pretty good advice, especially if I did research to try to help myself back then.

I agree with Cassidy. There is a select group of people here on the boards, we are computer savvy enough to know how to use the forums--some people out there still do not even own a computer. Almost everything I know about celiacs, I learned online--some people just do not have that option. It would be a great survey though, just to find a ratio in some way.

By the way--I have always been shy :unsure:

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Thanks for the input, was just curious. I just look at the people in my community that may or may not have computers (but I would assume so) and they are eye doctors, administrators, teachers, upper governmental employees, etc. - of course some of these people have Asperger's with super high IQ (and those with Asp are in my extended family). One person with Autism in my family, they say "oh he had Celiac when he was a baby but not anymore", and now he has Schizophrenia on top. Hmmm....

By the way, I am so NOT shy, but VERY Swedish or mostly Swedish.

Chronic Ear Infections

Chronic Tooth/Jaw Infections

Chronic Sinus Infections

Recent Sinus Surgeries

New Migraines

New Occipital Neuralgia

New SUPER HIGH ANA

New Vitamin D deficiency

New High Calcium - hyperparathyroidism?

Recent Sugar & Wheat Intolerance - Facial Flushing and Headache

Lyme Negative

12/06 Tested (-) for Celiac after 2 - 3 months Gluten Free

This reminds me of some of the issues with diabetes and the very large health disparities between diabetics with more education and resources and those with less. When it comes to managing an illness that requires constant monitoring of what you're consuming, it helps to be kind of an OCD egghead.

Erica

Inconclusive blood test results

Positive Enterolab results

Positive dietary results

gluten-free since 2/10/06