Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mom_to_claire

Is Palafer Gluten Free

I was wondering if anyone is taking Palafer Iron Therapy Suspension - cherry flavour. My one year old daughter was prescribed it today and when I called GlaxoSmithKline they gave me some lame information about the fact they don't "add" gluten but can't guarantee the product is gluten free because they get their raw materials from other sources! What kind of answer is that???? I expect that they should know what is in their raw material.

anyway, since anemia is common for those with Celiac I hoped that someone on here is taking it and can confirm I can start her on it tonight!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So I'm replying to a really old post! :-) But I'm guessing other people may have a similar or the same question. If I'm not wrong, Palafer (the syrup) contains 'caramel flavour' as one of the ingredients. This is an ingredient that should be dubious for any Celiac - and since they don't have a straightforward answer as to where they source it from, it may be best to avoid. I hope you were able to find a syrup that works for your daughter! Did you use Palafer at all? 

Canadian undergraduate student in 3rd year, studying Psychology and Speech Communication. Hoping to go into rehabilitation sciences!  B)

Dx with: 

Hashimoto's thyroiditis - 22/09/12

benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (bppv) - 18/05/13

irritable bowel syndrome - 21/06/13 

HLA-DQ8 gene ~ heterozygous (moderate risk for celiac) - 29/11/13

-> underwent a colonoscopy on 24/08/13, showed mild focal colitis + lymphoid hyperplasia (aka inflammation) in terminal ileum

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.

[Emphasis in original]

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Your replying to a person who hasn't been on here for 4 years.  I doubt they will answer.  :rolleyes:

The best way to find out if this drug is gluten-free is to call the company.  Many will say that, because they do not test it, they will not call it gluten-free.  But it has no gluten-free ingredients.  So most of us would consider a statement like that as the product is gluten-free.  I don't know what the current status of this medication is.  She received that statement 6 years agoIngredients change.