This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Scared About Miscarriages Due To Celiac

Nicole2

Nicole2 Newbie

Hello,

I am new to this website, as well as, to the disease. I just found 1 week ago and I have been very scared since. My husband I have been married for 8 months and want to bring a baby into our family. However, I am scared because all I have heard is that their are alot of miscarriages with women who have Cliac disease. I have already found a prenatal vitamin the is gluten free and it is made by KAL. However, I have to take 6 tabelts a day. Am I doing everything I can do to prepare? What else can i do?

Nicole2

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

The prenatal vitiamens are very important. You need to stay gluten free no matter what. Eat healthy foods. There is some question on how long it takes to heal your stomach and what not....everyone heals at a different rate. I think you should talk to your doctor about getting pregnant. Some suggest waiting 6 months some a year before trying to have a baby after going gluten free. I myself have had one miscariage and a baby born 3 months early due to celiac and not obsorbing the nutrients and vitamens that I needed to support her (at the time I did not know about celiac). Good luck with making a precious little one and I hope all goes well for you.

gf4life Enthusiast

Once you are gluten free for a while and your body heals, then the risk of miscarriage should be about the same as for other women without Celiac. Being an undiagnosed Celiac who is eating gluten is what causes the increased risk of miscarriage.

I agree with waiting at least 6 months on the gluten-free diet before trying to get pregnant. That would increase your body's ability to be properly nourished during the pregnancy.

I didn't know about Celiac Disease (or gluten for that matter) for any of my pregnancies and I did not have any miscarriages. My mom was never diagnosed with celiac disease but most likely had it. She had a lot of health problems and passed away at 44, and she had at least 3 misscarriages that I know of and 7 successful pregnancies. My older sister is most likely an undiagnosed Celiac (and doesn't want to get diagnosed!) and she has had 3 miscarriages and 3 successful pregnancies. So it really depends on the person.

During my first pregnancy I had a hard time keeping prenatal vitamins down and I had to take the gel cap prenatal vitamins, 6 a day (2 at each meal). They were the only ones I could keep down. They absorb really well, so I think those would be a good option for a newly diagnosed Celiac to take. You have a better chance of absorbing more of the vitamins.

Guest cassidy

I got pregnant 6 months after going gluten-free and I haven't had any problems. If you are gluten-free then you shouldn't have an increased risk. Also, I think most people worry about miscarriages in general. Try not to listen to other people's horror stories because it will only freak you out and most pregnancies and babies are fine.

I did start taking a prenatal about 6 months before we started trying because I figured my body could use the extra help. My holistic doctor said that vitamins in capsules are better than tablets because the tablets are heated up so high that they may lose some nutrients. I like NOW prenatals b/c they are gluten-free, capsules and the vitamin A is beta carotene which you will just pee out if you get too much of.

I read the book Taking Charge of your Fertility and found it very interesting. It teaches you alot about your body and cycles and I couldn't believe how much I didn't know.

Good luck.

jennifervan Apprentice

I had two healthy pregnancies. Then, after my second pregnancy, I had two miscarraiges and a son that died of anencephaly. I think that my celiac started up after my second pregnancy. I am currently pregnant and have been gluten free for a year. I did have two instances when I was eating gluten for a couple of weeks. I hope that did not hurt anything.

I am currently taking gluten free prenatals.

I would suggest that you take folic acid too. For us, that may have prevented my sons anencephaly. I guess I was not absorbing folic acid.

I hope that this pregnancy goes well. I am scared.

Congrats on getting married. Many people on this sight have had healthy pregnancies before they have known about the celiac. Also, I feel good knowing that people's infertility stopped when they stopped eating gluten. Or, by those who have had healthy pregnancies by not eating gluten.

Good Luck,

Jennifer

Nicole2 Newbie

Thank you for all of the positive advice. It is just nice knowing that their are people out their that are able to answer some of my questions and cocnerns. Again thank you for taking the time to inform me and help me to calm down a little.

Nicole2

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Nicole2

were you able to get the article i sent you?

Hope you found it encouraging and the link to her site helpful.

judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

As a word of encouragement....I am a Celiac and I have 3 kids. I only had 1 miscarriage (between child 2 &3). I was undiagnosed and NOT gluten free while pregnant with all of my kids. I did not find out about the Celiacs until recently.

I agree...follow Gluten Free, take your vitamins and take very good care of yourself before trying to get pregnant. And once you do, let your ob know about the Celiacs.

Good luck. Kids are amazing.

Katanya16 Rookie
I got pregnant 6 months after going gluten-free and I haven't had any problems. If you are gluten-free then you shouldn't have an increased risk. Also, I think most people worry about miscarriages in general. Try not to listen to other people's horror stories because it will only freak you out and most pregnancies and babies are fine.

I did start taking a prenatal about 6 months before we started trying because I figured my body could use the extra help. My holistic doctor said that vitamins in capsules are better than tablets because the tablets are heated up so high that they may lose some nutrients. I like NOW prenatals b/c they are gluten-free, capsules and the vitamin A is beta carotene which you will just pee out if you get too much of.

I read the book Taking Charge of your Fertility and found it very interesting. It teaches you alot about your body and cycles and I couldn't believe how much I didn't know.

Good luck.

Nicole2 Newbie
Nicole2

were you able to get the article i sent you?

Hope you found it encouraging and the link to her site helpful.

judy

Judy,

Yes, thank you very much it has been very helpful. I am feeling alot better.

Nicole2

Katanya16 Rookie

I too read Toni's book! I also read a book called "You can get pregnant after 40!" `I also am afraid of miscarriage, I had one so far. I was wondering where you got the NOW vitamins? I am currently taking Pregnancy Plus on Early Pregnancy test.com. They are supposed to be gluten free, do you think this is good or should I switch to one like yours, I only have to take one a day which is better for me. I had been on a gluten free diet about seven years back but in 2004 I went back to Gluten after a negative blood test and a negative endo. I am now wondering if this is the cause of my infertility. It is hard to stay gluten free not only because of will power but my finances are really bad right now. My husband is laid off, etc. However to get pregnant I will try anything. I have read a lot a lot of maybe just going naturally gluten free while trying to get pregnant. I just had another blood test but I have not got the results back yet. I want to start one day at a time and in small steps with this. What would be the best way to step back into the Gluten free lifestyle and hopefully less expensive? I already for years have not ate whole wheat, barley, oats, and hard wheats, because it excelerates skin problems. My skin at least has stayed clear now for years, only with an occassional small break out. I think I am going to start by cutting bread completely out. I am a little out of practice though, but I seem to remember without the fiber experiencing a lot of constipation, and stomach discomfort and being on fiber con a lot which I want to avoid in case I succeed in getting pregnant again. I am really afraid!! I read here that one should probably wait 6 months before trying to conceive after being on gluten free diet, six months is like a life sentence for someone about to be 44 years old in July, and trying to have a baby. Time is of such essence. Any suggestions??? Also I have been on the prenatal vitamin for a while now. I also took Fertility Blend for about six months before, do you know if this has gluten? I am so confused on how to start again. I do not want to make mistakes. I am going to try to have rice with vegetables today because I am eating out. I remember eating out on gluten from before, I remember what to look for, I used to take my gluten free bread everywhere with me and substitute. I may not be perfect with the whole cross contamination thing. I am just now learning how to cook. So I have been eating out a lot. I remember I used to ask the restaurants to give me say the fish without touching the bread and then I would put it on my gluten free bread. That seemed to work for me. I think the main thing I always thougth was the more normal I would feel the easier it was for me to follow the diet. I am already skilled at reading labels, a little out of practice with the gluten though. My husband has trouble absorbing protein so I have been reading labels for him recently. I would like for anyone here who has had children over 40, to comment, I would feel much better! Especially if they had their babies after going gluten free. I am so terrified I have wasted too much time because of lack of knowledge from doctors,etc. Please read my previous post. I just would like some advice on how and where to get started. I remember going to a support group where you could taste different gluten free products, and this helped a lot, because things have to taste good, it is essential for me to invest in them and maybe even get my husband to eat them too, because he is supposed to cut back on his gluten intake too. Also I want to have good tasting products for my future children I will have. Have you heard of these support groups and does anyone know of any in the Oakland County Michigan area? Lastly, If I take a prenatal vitamin with folic acid, should I also take additional folic acid supplements. I am going to get tested for my levels though. The thing is even though I am 43 all my fertility tests come back really good, especially the ovarian reserve that Toni mentions in the book, I do have some problems with cervical fluid, ovulation, and some missed periods, but for the most part my doctor said I am like a 20 something year old fertility, so god has helped me to hold on I think. I really feel like he wanted me to wait for the advances in Celiac research. I really want to have a baby before I get too old. I know it will happen, please tell me,,,,,,,, What is the best way to get back to a natural gluten free diet that is safe for a woman trying to concieve and has been eating gluten again for about the last three years?????

Susanne

• 2 months later...
clair2007 Newbie

[i have had 3 mc and am gluten free could this be the cause?????????????????????????????????????????? :(

alamaz Collaborator

I had my 1st miscarriage in January and shortly there after was diagnosed with celiac disease. I have still been TTC but no luck yet. I'm not freaking out though because I know my body needs time to heal.

celiac disease can be a cause of infertility and miscarriages but not the only reason. If you have had several miscarriages your doctor should be at the point of testing for other issues. I know at my doctors office after three miscarriages they begin investigating. I however think making a woman wait through three heartbreaking miscarriages is cruel and think after the second one is reason enough to start testing. There are lots of easy tests to try in the beginning - low progesterone (it's a hormone) and antibody testing (your body is attacking the baby because it thinks it's a disease). Also, you need to have both your husband and your blood type. If you're different you have the RH factor going on. Then you also can go deeper into the issue and get more expensive but those that I mentioned are the easiest and least costly to test for.

Archived