This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I A Kook?

JerryK

Is Jerry??  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JerryK Community Regular

So, last night..basking in the new found knowledge that I tested NEGATIVE for Celiac. I decided to treat myself to a very small piece of garlic bread.

This is around 6:30 or so...you know..dinner time.

By perhaps 8:30. I'm sitting there feeling like I've stumbled thru the stupid forest, climbed a stupid tree, fell out and hit every stupid branch on the way down. I can't even figure out how to use the remote. In addition, I feel pretty damn irritable, like throwing the TV out the window. My hands and

feet feel kind of numb AND I feel like weeping and pacing. Luckily I have a bottle of Xanax on hand and..it pretty much works for everything.

Now either I am just plain crazy (which I admit is entirely possible :P ) or I am VERY gluten sensitive.

You tell me am I off my nut? Am I running on all cylinders?

Too add to this, I now wonder if lactose intolerance is causing me more problems with the big D than I thought. I think PERHAPS...it's the MILK chocolate that I've continued to eat..thinking it's OK..(wheat free right)...that's causing these explosive events.

I've got a tendency to eat a candy bar...an hour or so before my runs(during which I get the runs) and perhaps it's the chocolate. Oh and BTW if you've never read the statistics about Lacose Intolerance it's quite interesting. I had no idea most of the world was LI...Turns out us adults weren't really intended to consume milk...

Jerry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Jerry, sorry, I can't vote, there is no ALL OF THE ABOVE in your options!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

JerryK Community Regular
Jerry, sorry, I can't vote, there is no ALL OF THE ABOVE in your options!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

There you go, I added it for you ;)

Jestgar Rising Star

That's the option I needed! :lol: :lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast

ROFLMAO!!! :lol::lol::lol:

There, see 100% think you're all of the above!! At least until a few more vote!

Thanks for being so silly. You MIGHT someday get it that gluten makes you sick! LOL But I'm "only" gluten intolerant myself, so I understand the comfort in knowing it will "only" make me feel bad ... of course, it probably contributes to leaky gut, too ... but this thread is all about silliness.

JerryK Community Regular
ROFLMAO!!! :lol::lol::lol:

There, see 100% think you're all of the above!! At least until a few more vote!

Thanks for being so silly. You MIGHT someday get it that gluten makes you sick! LOL But I'm "only" gluten intolerant myself, so I understand the comfort in knowing it will "only" make me feel bad ... of course, it probably contributes to leaky gut, too ... but this thread is all about silliness.

I suppose there is some comfort in knowing that gluten is ONLY making you psycho, not actually damaging your intestings.... :o

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Just for fun... I agreed with Carla! =)

There are many studies that conclude that milk is only necessary for infants (of any species) unable to feed themselves. Once we get beyond that point.... it's not good for anyone. No one needs it, especially when we can get calcium from soooo many other sources.

Could be the combination of the gluten intolerance WITH the lactose issue that's making you loopy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
I suppose there is some comfort in knowing that gluten is ONLY making you psycho, not actually damaging your intestings.... :o

Just be glad you don't have Lyme, too. Talk about brain problems!! At least I've been gluten-free for over a year so it's just the borrelia and babesia now!! I'm one egg shy of a carton myself!

aikiducky Apprentice

I can think of at least two possibilities why your blood test could be negative and you could still have celiac:

1. The more symptomatic a person is, the earlier they will seek testing, which will mean that the more symptomatic people might actually have LESS damage by the time they are tested, and get more false negatives. This might apply to you. You might end up with a celiac diagnosis if you continue eating gluten for a few more years. The blood test is only about 50% accurate in people with only beginning damage to the vili! The accuracy raises the more damage one develops.

2. If you happen to be one of the people in who the gluten reaction actually does more damage to the nervous system and less to the intestine, the current tests will not detect your celiac in any case, since the tests actually depend on damage to the intestine.

I think it would be a good idea to be both gluten and dairy free for a while and then try some dairy again to see what if any reaction you have to dairy in isolation fro gluten.

Pauliina

aikiducky Apprentice

How comforting is it to think it might be damaging your brain instead?

Pauliina

jerseyangel Proficient

Coming in late, but I vote for "all of the above", too :D

Personally, I don't believe humans were meant to drink the milk of another species. Cow's milk was intended to turn a baby calf into a 300 pound cow in 6 months. *Again, just my own opinion* :) I stopped using dairy a year before I had ever heard of Celiac.

A thought popped into my head about your chocolate. Since I've been gluten-free--and I know this happens to others too--I've become exquisitely sensitive to even the smallest amounts. There are several kinds of chocolate that I just can't tolerate anymore. Maybe there's a cross contamination issue with your brand?

Just a thought--could always be the milk, if it's in there.

Gluten makes me psycho, too!

JerryK Community Regular

Pauliina

Ouch!! :blink:

JerryK Community Regular
I think it would be a good idea to be both gluten and dairy free for a while and then try some dairy again to see what if any reaction you have to dairy in isolation fro gluten.

Pauliina

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll try a diary challenge when I get back from my Mexico cruise.

Jestgar Rising Star

On the up side, maybe at some point you won't (be able to) care anymore about damaging anything!

aikiducky Apprentice
On the up side, maybe at some point you won't (be able to) care anymore about damaging anything!

Ironically, when I get glutened I get so depressed I really hardly care about anything. I think it's scary, much scarier than the mild stomach ache etc. I get.

Jerry, I didn't mean to sound harsh, I was posting in a hurry. I hope you have a fabulous cruise! :)

Pauliina

zansu Rookie

all of the above, but in good company!

kbtoyssni Contributor

One egg shy of a carton, but I blame the gluten! And probably at least temporarily lactose intolerant. :)

darlindeb25 Collaborator

One egg shy of a carton--I like that. Is it the same as one shingle short of a roof, or one brick short of a load, lights on but nobody is home. I think these are what many of our doctors are, not us!!!!

Doesn't matter Jerry, you already know you are one of us, what difference does the blood test make??? :rolleyes:

Ursa Major Collaborator

I voted 'all of the above'. When are you going to STOP challenging what you know is the truth? Good grief! :ph34r::rolleyes::blink:

Have a great (and safe) cruise!

Archived