Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tim-n-VA

Shelf-life Question

I've noticed that the unit price for some of the mixes becomes almost reasonable if you order from Amazon but you have to buy six packages at a time. Even before my diagnosis I didn't eat a lot of bread so six packages would last me a long time.

Specifically for the Pamela's bread and pancake mixes but generically for any of these type products, should these be stored in a fridge/freezer and how long can I keep them?

It won't do me much good so save $2 per package if the last three go bad...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I store my weird flours in the freezer, keep a working stash in the frig, and my "flour mix" on the counter.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I always put my extra flours in the freezer until I'm ready to start using them. Some do have a very long shelf life even at room temp, but some do not. However, not all packages are designed for the freezer, so you may have to put the bag inside a freezer bag first, especially if it's a paper type of bag. This should make them last somewhat longer past the freshness date than they otherwise would. I tend to think of it like suspended animation - the "freshness clock" doesn't tick while they are kept frozen. This isn't really an entirely true statement, so I wouldn't suggest taking it literally. Just a sort of rough guideline I suppose. The earlier it goes in the freezer, the more confident I am that it will last. Heck, if meat can stay edible for months in the freezer, than flours should too.

Some companies may have info about this on their website, and Google may help to locate general rules for various flours.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.