This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Crave Sugar

Daisy Duke

Daisy Duke Explorer

I've gained ten pounds in the last 6 months. I constantly crave sugar, I want treats everyday, I tried to set aside one day a week and have a small bowl of ice cream or a couple cookies. I want more, and when I run out of my cookies and rice dream ice cream I want even more of it.

Is there anything you can suggest to curb these cravings? I would like to get to a point where I have one or two treats a week, but my will power is just rotten right not.

Thanks for reading.

Daisy Duke

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

My first thought is to try and sort out why you have such cravings. Hopefully you're following a strict gluten-free diet, yes? Might you need more calories? Of course one way to obtain more calories is with carbohydrates, but if you're already consuming appropriate amounts, or your system doesn't handle them well enough, thankfully there are other choices. One source of quick energy can be coconut oil. Use it in place of butter, margarine, cooking oils, mayonnaise, etc. It's not like other fats, in that the primary fatty acid is lauric acid. This acid is a Medium Chain Fatty Acid, and as such can be utilized far more readily than other types of fats. It in fact acts more like a sugar, but an additional benefit is that it can often aid in weight loss.

Something else to consider might be nutrient absorption, as merely consuming proper amounts of calories doesn't ensure that your body will actually benefit from them. Personally, I addressed this issue with magnesium, which appears to work quite well. Not just for carbs, but proteins and fats too.

On the other hand, if the craving is simply for something sweet, and not for any required nutrient, then I'd suggest making your own sweets. Use fruit or Stevia for sweetener. A lot of wonderful goodies can be made quickly and easily. For instance tapioca pudding, rice putting, fruit smoothies, jello, etc. All these can be frozen too, though I'm guessing the jello would need milk or something added to it.

There are plenty of easy cookie recipes posted on this board, and here's a list of gluten-free cookie recipes right on the celiac.com site. Of course there are also more recipes than anyone could make in a lifetime posted all over the internet. While most aren't sugar-free, nothing should prevent you from trying out some modifications.

rach6886 Newbie

I, too, have HORRIBLE sugar cravings, particularly at night and I feel out of control. I am a healthy eater and avid exerciser with not weight problems, per se, but have gained weight over the past 3 months due to the sugar binges. M&M's, ice cream, fruit, nothing satisfies and I find myself going back for more and more until it's bedtime. I also notice a craving for other carbs (I want a WAFFLE with syrup after dinner) and I find myself putting powdered sugar on everything (even things naturally sweet). I live alone and would be totally embarrrassed for someone to see the things I eat.

Theories I have:

(1) some sort of vitamin/mineral deficiency (I have a nutritional consult next week)

(2) feelings of deprivation all day over the foods I can't eat which result in cravings/indulgence at night

(3) hypoglycemia - I have some other symptoms such as rapid onset of extreme hunger ~2 hours after every meal, dizzy spells, etc.

(4) what is now a pattern of sweets at night that is hard to break and has led my body to expect it

But in all liklihood it's some combination of the above. Let me know if you find any relief!!!

lorka150 Collaborator

if you eat artificial sweeteners, then they increase sugar cravings.

RiceGuy Collaborator
if you eat artificial sweeteners, then they increase sugar cravings.

I suppose that might be true if the cravings are due to the need for fuel. I wonder if the same applies to Stevia, as it is a natural sweetener. It has no calories or carbs, so maybe...

Mayflowers Contributor

rach, number (5) You have a sugar addiction that's getting worse. Same with alcohol, the more you drink, the more you want.

The answer is simple...The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet by Dr.'s Rachel and Richard Heller

Open Original Shared Link

OR, just go cold turkey and stop eating sugar. Period. The cravings will go away in a week or so and you'll be free. Allow only fruit and if the cravings come back, cut back on fruit.

They have a lot of books out can be bought any bookstore or amazon. I just sent it to my sister. The weight loss is slower than with Atkins but at least you can have some favorite carbs every day. I recommend the original first book that's now in paperback.

Guest cassidy

Do you have any symptoms of candida? Craving sugar is definitely a symptom and candida overgrowth is common in celiacs. It might be something to look into if you aren't 100% on the gluten-free diet.

If you are just craving sugar and there is no reason for it, then I would have a small amount every day. What ever you like, just portion it out and have a little bit each day. I eat ice cream out of a 1/2 cup measureing cup, since that is the serving size. I'll buy chocolate that has squares in it and just eat two squares.

When I could eat potato chips I could eat the whole bag in one sitting. I would buy a bag and portion it out into servings in zip loc bags. Then, each day I would grab one zip loc bag and just eat that. It worked pretty well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mountain Mama Rookie

I crave sugar, but I crave salt worse! Every day around 2 I crave sugar, I think it is for a pick me up. I could eat a whole pack of starburst, and often do. Yesterday I tried dark chocolate instead, I could only eat a little bit but it fixed my sugar craving and was less calories. I think my sugar craving also has to do with feeling deprived. I am trying to cook more special foods, things I wouldn't normally cook, because I am special and worth it! And I found a new treat that is special, and less calories than the one I had been having. Cassidy has a great idea with the portions. I have to do that with Pirates Booty or I will eat the whole bag!

bluejeangirl Contributor

I think with every holiday I go through sugar cravings. Now with Easter all you see is the pretty Easter candies and brings back memories of Easter baskets and fun. Its seems the only time I buy a bag of snicker bars are during one of the holidays. Memories will bring up cravings for a certain dessert or sweet and of course you associate the fun along with how good it tasted.

Another thing sugar and sweets do is give you that surge of energy and calms down the nerves because of the serotonin it produces. Alcohol does the same thing and its why I would make myself a drink around 4:00 every afternoon to get the energy it would take to make supper. A habit I'm happy to say has left me.

If you think you might have a problem with control I wouldn't have it around. How do you feed a little of anything to a monster right? Or make it hard to get seconds like go to Baskin Robbins for a cone and get into your car and drive away.

I find if I'm eating a cookie and know that there's a whole bag where I left it in the pantry I'm not even enjoying the cookie cuz I'm thinking about just getting one more. If I had no possibility to get another one I then can enjoy that one cookie.

Its all a game sometimes.

Gail

mn farm gal Apprentice

Well I don't know if this just happened this way or if it has more to do with it than I think. I went on a liquid B Vitamin about 6 weeks ago. I noticed after being on it 2-3 weeks that I didn't want candy after supper when my husband did. We both wanted to quit the habit it was daily. So we ate up the candy and my husband also started taking the liquid B Vitamins about 2 weeks ago. As of about a week ago we have went to pretty much no sugar, and we both say you know I don't miss it. We have go snacks on hand that are serving size, like fruit, yougert, rasins, peanut mix, by having things ready like this he and I are both loosing inches already and we don't have the cravings. I don't know if it is the B vitamins or if it is just that we adjusted to it. The sheet that I got with the liquid B vitamins from my doctor says that B6 makes food cravings less often. (Something to that effect I don't have the sheet in front of me right now).

brendygirl Community Regular

I don't drink coffee, eat fattening things like cheesecake/creme brulee, fast food, or much red meat.

But I DO claim SUGAR as my vice.

Things I do to trim down for bikini season:

Chew sugarless gum- sometimes after a meal you just want a cleansed palate.

Eat little sugary things that take a long time: blow pop, starburst, tootsie roll---DAILY!!

Make myself eat something healthy B4 I allow a sugar snack: grapefruit, carrot sticks

Drink: tea, hot chocolate==proven that often we assume hunger when we're only thirsty!!

Don't keep trigger foods in the house- I NEVER buy ice cream and when I bake goodies-FREEZE half

Sometimes I just make myself sit there and think about what I'm craving and why

I tell myself to wait an hour and distract myself ...and again. and again.

PREVENT low blood sugar- map out meals AND snacks and put them on the fridge

PREPARE veggies right away-cleaned, sliced, and indiv. wrapped so just as convenient as bad foods

Keeping a food journal is proven to help eat less and lose weight

Figure out your Naughty times and nip them-- I work out at 11PM-- yoga DVD, pushups, whatever

Stop making excuses

Don't eat like a bird around other people-- then you binge later- I know friends who do this

On the cruise we caught the girl on Weight Watchers ordering cookies to her room from r.service

Mark your PLATE like a grid: half is veggies, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb

count calories- try calorieking website

Eat guilt-free good foods like steamed edamame, diet popcorn, shrimp, cucumber, lowcal popsicles

Mimic a healthy person you know--I just went on a cruise w/ heavy people-I eat SO differently, yet they tell me I'm naturally thin!! Yeah, right.

make yourself try a new healthy food each week: polenta, quinoa, sushi, octopus, lox, lentils

Aquire healthy hobbies: tennis, yoga, walking, volleyball, swimming, bicycling--join a club or lesson

Avoid most "diet" foods- they are fattening in disguise- I could go on and on about the science here

DO use spray butter and spray oils

Don't eat and watch TV, computer

Make yourself exercise DAILY at least 20 min. Don't go to sleep until you do. Even if it's 1AM

Encourage yourself- if you survived a craving, literally cheer for yourself

Tell yourself every day you'll do better than the day before.

Lock your purse in your trunk if you are a fast food person

Keep healthy Lara bars, bumble bars, trail mix in your desk, car, etc. so you won't starve & binge

Pour salt on remaining food when you're done eating

Don't allow yourself TV unless you do situps, pushups, lunges, stretches during commercials.

Tell everyone you're tired of being fat- I did this at Xmas and my weight fell off

I made myself wear my tight clothes and feel the misery- I didn't pretend it was ok to gain

Smoothies are a MEAL not a drink

Don't join a gym- workout at home- Turn to FIT TV channel!!

Get recipes from Blaine's Low Carb Kitchen on Fit TV website

Make a weight graph- post on fridge and weigh yourself weekly

Allow yourself a goody on PMS days

Get rid of ranch dressings, sauces, dips, etc. Don't add sugar/honey/etc. to drinks, foods

Keep a food/exercise journal, really! They have them you can buy at the bookstore, too.

Wear a pedometer all day and make yourself get 10,000 steps a day

Hang out with healthy people

Walk instead of drive- especially don't drive around for a close parking spot- park FAR away

don't go on cruises or fattening vacation/going out places

Lie to people who offer food and say "I already ate."

Exercise with your kids and family.

Take vitamins- I can tell I feel lethargic without my iron and B12, no joke

Eat the SUPER FOODS-berries, legumes, etc.

Read health magazines- I like Men's health-their low carb recipes are often gluten free

Write in your food journal which of these tips you followed daily and praise yourself!

Good luck! Keep trying! I do!

rach6886 Newbie

Hello all,

Just wanted to follow up about my sugar cravings. Went to a nutritionist this week who opened my eyes to HOW MUCH SUGAR I am taking in every day in my "healthy diet" - dried fruit, Kashi GoLEAN shakes, sweet yogurt (I buy the "light" ones but they're still loaded with sugar), kettle corn, etc. No wonder I get hungry very often, crave sugar, and have recently gained weight for the first time in my adult life. She suggested I drastically reduce my fruit intake, add much more protein and veggies at each meal, and switch to plain or "low carb" yogurts.

Seems to have already made me feel better in just a few days - only problem is VERY gassy from the veggies and BEANO has wheat in it (she recommended this product apparently not realizing that so I'm glad I checked the label).

Hope this might help someone else who goes through each day thinking they're eating healthy but might benefit from nutrition check.

Take care,

Rachel

gf4life Enthusiast

I cut my sugar intake severely and try not to exceed 50 grams a day. I also try to get that from natural sources as much as possible and avoid processed sugar. My sugar cravings are virtually gone. I do occasionally go over the 50 grams and I find the more I have the more I want! Today I am not following my regular dietary allowances and have already had about 150 grams. I am sitting here wanting more! I will probably have one more gluten-free brownie before the day is out, but tomorrow I will be right back to eating healthy again!!

The best way to get rid of the cravings is to just go cold turkey. It takes a lot of will power the first few days, but after that it is much easier to pass on the high sugar items.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I have to agree, I crave sugar moreso than ever. I used to like a dessert after dinner now and again , when I went out only. Now its like all the time.. I cant find enough new things to bake that are sweet and sugary.. found these lovely layer bars from a lady at my celiac group, nice and sugary sweet and now I have found cinnamon rolls, like the ones from Pillsbury!

OK, sorry I am not making this any better for myself or anyone else!!!

gf4life Enthusiast

I know what you mean! I do have to eliminate the freshly baked goodies in my house. I have gotten to the point that I try to only make what we paln to eat that day. I freeze cookie dough in baggies to make 1 dozen at a time. I only make 1 pie or 1 brownie mix, etc. and I give away extras as much as possible.

Yesterday (Easter Sunday) I pigged out and had way too much sugar, but today I am being good.

A friend made a gluten-free spice cake for breakfast for our 2 families yesterday at church, the rest of the church members were eating gluten cinnamon rolls. It was really good, the Namaste mix, but really high in sugar. Well my friend and her daughter got sick and didn't come with, but they sent the cake for us to eat. I returned half the cake with my appreciation and thanks. She didn't want to take it back, but I didn't need it here at home with me. It was good and I would have eaten more. I already had made brownies (egg shaped and the kids got the decorate with frosting and sprinkles!), and we didn't need cake, brownies, and all the candy! Yikes.

I hope you all are doing alright keeping your sugar intake lower. It sure is a challenge.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Granted I only started using artifical sweetner Splenda in my iced tea a few days ago, but I havent noticed an increase in wanting more sugar. Like I said... so far. I used to use those canned iced tea mixes which are all sugar! Now I brew my own tea and use the Splenda, it did take a day or two to get used to it, and its a bit of a pain to make myself.. but I cant drink diet soda,blech, cant take that taste, but the iced tea I am getting used to.

• 4 weeks later...
mamaloca2 Apprentice
I've gained ten pounds in the last 6 months. I constantly crave sugar, I want treats everyday, I tried to set aside one day a week and have a small bowl of ice cream or a couple cookies. I want more, and when I run out of my cookies and rice dream ice cream I want even more of it.

Is there anything you can suggest to curb these cravings? I would like to get to a point where I have one or two treats a week, but my will power is just rotten right not.

Thanks for reading.

Daisy Duke

Have you been tested for diabetes? It is one of the things linked to Celiac Disease and is fairly common among the regular population as well.

Archived