This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Calling All Gluten Free "chefs"

JennyC

JennyC Enthusiast

My son has been gluten-free for about 2 months now. We are going over to my boyfriend's father's home to smoke a turkey. I am pretty sure that we are the only ones bringing food, or else we will be bringing quite a bit anyway for my son. It's not going to be a formal turkey dinner, but more like a spring lunch/dinner. (Depending on how long it takes for the turkey to get done. ;) ) I was thinking about making a gluten-free pasta salad. I don't even notice the difference between regular pasta and gluten-free pasta, hopefully they won't either. gluten-free pasta so so expensive though! It would probably take $10-15 worth of pasta! I'm not sure what to do for desert.

What dishes have "gluten-eaters" responded well to?

All ideas are very appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor

What about doing a potato salad instead? It's naturally gluten free, and potatoes are cheap! :) I think banana splits would be good for dessert. Or a cheesecake or pie made with gluten free cookie crumbs for the crust. Yum!

Michelle

StrongerToday Enthusiast

My daughter (who is not gluten-free) favorite desert is merangue cookies (also called Forgotten Cookies). Sometimes we make the merangue's big enough and put some fresh fruit or ice cream on top of them. Very yummy, very affordable!

gfp Enthusiast
What about doing a potato salad instead? It's naturally gluten free, and potatoes are cheap! :) I think banana splits would be good for dessert. Or a cheesecake or pie made with gluten free cookie crumbs for the crust. Yum!

Michelle

To be honest anything naturally gluten-free is always better/cheaper?

If the salad is an accompanyment or just starter ... starters/finger food wise... chicken wings or ribs?? take/make your own gluten-free sauces?? mexican salad? with chicken (or turkey) cheese and tortillas?

I'd say it depends what people consider "normal food"... I like say a risotto which is gluten-free so long as you make it yourself .... but not everyone likes "foreign food"... :D (my mom included)...

I tend to cook different stuff if visiting my mom for instance...

Honestly just pick a recipe or 5 (anything not bread or pasta based) and we can help turn it gluten-free or suggest something...

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

For dessert I always bring a flourless chocolate cake with homemade whip cream and fresh berries. Some flourless choclate cakes require a little regular flour, so look for a recipe that is truely flourless. The nice part is it is shockingly easy to make, serves a lot of people and everyone loves chocolate!

If you need a recipe, e-mail me.

Cheese and fruit plates work really well for snacks. Chips and salsa or cheese dip is a staple for us.

When I go to a family function, I bring all my own gluten-free food to eat, but bring dessert or snacks for everyone that are naturally gluten-free.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
For dessert I always bring a flourless chocolate cake with homemade whip cream and fresh berries. Some flourless choclate cakes require a little regular flour, so look for a recipe that is truely flourless.

For the recipes that only require 1/4 cup or less of flour, I have found that I can substitute potato starch or rice flour with no problem (no xanthan gum needed!).

gfp Enthusiast
For the recipes that only require 1/4 cup or less of flour, I have found that I can substitute potato starch or rice flour with no problem (no xanthan gum needed!).

Yep :D

My Girlfriend makes a GREAT carrot cake .... and also banana and sunflower seed cookies... both have less flour than normal "cake" and taste indistinguishable... except perhaps a little lighter?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor
My daughter (who is not gluten-free) favorite desert is merangue cookies (also called Forgotten Cookies). Sometimes we make the merangue's big enough and put some fresh fruit or ice cream on top of them. Very yummy, very affordable!

A pavlova would be really good.

Michelle

JennyC Enthusiast

Thanks Everyone!

I think that I might make a potato salad, oddly enough I have never made one before. Does anyone have a really good potato salad recipe? (I tend to look for really complicated recipes, and sometimes they turn out a little funky. :unsure: )

I Think that I am going to make a cheese cake and a chocolate mouse pie for desert. Has anyone tried the orange cheesecake recipe in the Gluten Free Gourmet cookbook? I am thinking about trying it. I also bought some cookie crumbs from Kinnikinnick. Is there any trick to using them I should know about?

So far the menu is smoked turkey, potato salad & cheesecake/chocolate mouse pie.

Any veggie ideas? I'd like to keep the meal light.

kabowman Explorer

Don't forget the fresh fruit.

Nantzie Collaborator

I make Gluten-Free Pantry's Brownies and Angel Food Cake and everybody loves them.

Nancy

Veganized Newbie

Here is a popular Danish potato salad recipe...

Tasty Summer Potato Salad - Serves 12 picture

8 cups low fat sour cream OR Greek yogurt*

1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped

1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped

4 TBSP. fresh basil, chopped

1-1/2 TBSP. prepared mustard (gluten-free)

2 or 3 tsp. (coarse) salt

Pepper, to taste

7-3/4 lbs. potatoes - cooked, peeled and chilled.

1. Whisk together sour cream, herbs, mustard, salt & pepper.

2. Cut potatoes in to slices or small squares.

3. Combine sour cream-mixture and potatoes in a large bowl. Mix well.

4. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour (or more) before serving.

*I am a vegan so I substitute sour cream/yogurt for silken tofu + water + some lemon juice, blended. This way it also gets milk-free.

Hope you like it! :D

Veganized Newbie

For more dessert ideas, take a look at: Open Original Shared Link

azmom Newbie
I also bought some cookie crumbs from Kinnikinnick. Is there any trick to using them I should know about?

Use the cookie crumbs just like you would normal cookie crumbs. Also try their gluten-free graham cracker crumbs. Everyone in my family loves them both. For an easy dessert, just make your crust, fill w/ chocolate pudding and top w/ whip cream.

Boy, I'm getting hungry....gotta go!

amybeth Enthusiast

Some ridiculously easy yummy things you might want to try.

5 Cup Salad (Even better the next day - prepare in advance)

8oz Sour Cream

8oz mini marshmallows

8oz mandarin oranges (drained)

8oz crushed pineapple (drained)

8oz shredded coconut

Stir and chill

Strawberry Fruit Dip (Great with apples, grapes, and pineapple chunks)

1 small carton strawberry cream cheese

1 small carton marshmallow fluff

1/2 of 1 small carton Kool Whip

stir, and stir, and stir to blend

then chill

serve with cut fruit

Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix (This is the only gluten-free flavor, I think)

mix with sour cream and chill dip, then serve with raw veggies

Bean salad

mix different varieties of gluten-free canned beans with Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing. Chill

dragonmom Apprentice

"Watergate Salad" is really easy and popular....1pkg jello pistachio pudding mix , cool whip, crushed pineapple (1 can) miniature marshmallows, and some walnuts.... tastes good . Pre celiac disease food.

chocolatelover Contributor

Fudge!

Here's my favorite recipe:

Betsy's Fudge

32 marshmallows -- (regular size)

1/4 cup water

2 1/2 cups sugar

5 ounces evaporated milk

1 stick margarine

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 package semisweet chocolate chips

In top of double boiler, combine marshmallows and water. Place over boiling water. Cook until marshmallows dissolve; stir occasionally (can be done for 2 minutes in the microwave as well).

In large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, butter, milk and salt. Lightly grease sides of pan with butter to keep sugar from sticking. Mix well. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat. Watch carefully--DO NOT BURN. Boil for 8 minutes, stirring constantlly.

Remove from heat; add marshmallows, mix and then add chocolate. Blend until well combined. Don't scrape pan or fudge will be grainy.

Pour into buttered 8x8 pan. Cool completely (3-4 hours on counter). Store in tightly sealed container on counter.

And here's a fabulous potato salad. I always wait until the very end to toss with the dressing, then sprinkle with onion and bacon.

Picnic Potato Salad

4 cups red potatoes -- diced, skins on

1/3 cup sour cream

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon dried dill weed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1/2 Tablespoon country-style Dijon mustard

1/2 Teaspoon minced garlic

4 slices bacon -- crumbled

2 Tablespoons sliced green onions

In large saucepan, boil water and some salt and add potatoes. Cook over high heat until potatoes are tender. Rinse under cold water. In large bowl, stir together remaining ingredients except bacon and green onion. Add potatoes; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon and onion.

DestinyLeah Apprentice

From the South, I must send a recipe for pecan pie.

Use a food processor (actually, the drip setting on a coffee grinder works best!) to grind pecans until you have 2 cups coarsely ground pecans. Grind another 1/4 cup until very fine. Mix both with 1/4 cup melted butter, then press into a pie plate to use as crust.

For the pie:

Ingredients

3 Eggs

1 cup Sugar

1/2 tsp. Salt

1/3 cup Melted butter

1 cup Light corn syrup

1 cup Pecan halves

1 tsp. Vanilla & 1/2 Tbs. rum

1. Preheat oven to 450F

2. Line a pie pan with a pie dough and bake it only partially, from 5-7 min. Allow to cool. Reduce oven heat to 375F

3. Combine and beat thoroughly: eggs, salt, butter, corn syrup.

4. Stir in pecan halves and vanilla

5. Fill the shell, bake the pie 40-50 min at 375F.

4. Serve warm or cold

And Biscotti:

Ingredients

6 1/4 cup gluten-free baking mix

1 1/4 cup Sugar

1 tbsp + 1 tsp non-aluminum baking powder

Wet:

1 1/4 cup Egg or Egg substitute

1 cup Fat-free milk

2 1/2 tsp Vanilla or almond extract

Glaze:

2 1/2 cup Sugar

2-3 tbsp Evaporated milk

1 1/4 tsp Lemon juice

Preparation

Combine wet and dry ingredients and shape into 3- 3x12 inch logs (use flour when shaping if dough is sticky). Bake at 350F for 35 minutes. Cool on rack for 15 minutes. Slice diagonally and place back on pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 300F on one side, then turn biscotti over and bake for 15 minutes on the other side.

For Banana Pudding

Ingredients:

8 cups vanilla pudding

5-6 bananas, sliced

5-6 gluten-free Biscotti, cut into pieces

Mix and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours, then serve cold with whipped topping. ( Whip 1 carton heavy cream with 1/4sugar and 1 tsp vanilla or rum extract)

Enjoy the family time! ~Destiny

Mmmm...that pecan pie sounds delicious! Can't wait to try it!

JennyC Enthusiast

Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm going to try lots of these recipes...not in one day though! :lol: It's nice to figure out as time goes on that Celiac disease is NOT the end to great food.

I did use the Kinnikinnick graham cracker crumbs to make a crust for my cheese cake, but the directions call for WAY TOO MUCH butter. If anyone plans to make a crust in the future start out with half the amount of butter.

Archived