This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Michigan Doctors Help

amyd

amyd Newbie

Hi-

In need of help. After years of suffering my mother was diagnosed 5 years ago with Celiac Disease. I started to have trouble after my children were born (now 3 and 4). When I went to our family doctor and asked him about Celiac he pulled out a pda and punched it in. He then read me a "definition". This can NOT be the person I leave in charge of my childrens health. I got the information from my mother regarding what blood tests to run. He wrote the orders and the results came back "inconclusive". We all have the genetic marker. However, we had been gluten free for about a month when the blood work was done. I am not overly concerned about getting a DR. to do the actual diagnosis. I know we have Celiac and have confidence in that self diagnosis. We have all switched to a gluten free diet but I still have so many quetions. Things that I would like to be able to discuss, about my childrens future health, with someone who knows what they are talking about. Example: My 4 year old is very full of life, runs around and seems to thrive but... he always has dark circles under his eyes and he is VERY tall and thin. This could just be his body type but the circles make me wonder .... am I missing something? Is there something connected with Celiac that I'm missing.

Please help if you know of a good doctor let me know.

Desperate for Doctors in Michigan.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I don't know what area you're in, but there are several Michigan groups that might be able to help you. I know there's an Ann Arbor group, as well as Lansing and a more metro Detroit area. You should google it and I bet you'll find lots of info.

Good luck and let me know if I can help you find any information.

mandasmom Rookie
I don't know what area you're in, but there are several Michigan groups that might be able to help you. I know there's an Ann Arbor group, as well as Lansing and a more metro Detroit area. You should google it and I bet you'll find lots of info.

Good luck and let me know if I can help you find any information.

Both the University of Michigan and The detroit medical center have childrens hospitals. Go to their web sites and look for a pediatric gastroenterologist..when you call to make the appointment ask if he or she has special knowledge of or interenst in celiac disease.

tabdegner Apprentice

I'm in the Southwest corner of Michigan and I go to Dr. Morrow at Grand River Gastroenterology. I've been pretty happy with him.

Q1821 Apprentice

I just wanted to say I totally understand your problem with MI doctors, I lived there for 2 1/2 years and the doctors did nothing for me. They sent me all over the place and had me doing stool samples, getting a colonoscopy and then told me all I had was IBS. They wanted to put me on a bowl relaxer and medimucil, I was so mad! All I wanted was a clear answer, did I have celiac disease or not. Never got one, so I went gluten-free anyway and I've never felt better. Best of luck to you, it sounds like the "big city" doctors is where you want to be.

sickofit Newbie
Hi-

In need of help. After years of suffering my mother was diagnosed 5 years ago with Celiac Disease. I started to have trouble after my children were born (now 3 and 4). When I went to our family doctor and asked him about Celiac he pulled out a pda and punched it in. He then read me a "definition". This can NOT be the person I leave in charge of my childrens health. I got the information from my mother regarding what blood tests to run. He wrote the orders and the results came back "inconclusive". We all have the genetic marker. However, we had been gluten free for about a month when the blood work was done. I am not overly concerned about getting a DR. to do the actual diagnosis. I know we have Celiac and have confidence in that self diagnosis. We have all switched to a gluten free diet but I still have so many quetions. Things that I would like to be able to discuss, about my childrens future health, with someone who knows what they are talking about. Example: My 4 year old is very full of life, runs around and seems to thrive but... he always has dark circles under his eyes and he is VERY tall and thin. This could just be his body type but the circles make me wonder .... am I missing something? Is there something connected with Celiac that I'm missing.

Please help if you know of a good doctor let me know.

Desperate for Doctors in Michigan.

sickofit Newbie

People, including me, that have allergies have dark circles under their eyes. I'm "allergic" to dust mites, dander, etc., but also have food "sensitivities" and when I eat something too often (I have to do a rotation diet) or eat anything with preservatives, MSG, nitrates, sulfites, artificial colors or flavors, I looked like I haven't slept for a week. I could not get help from any regular doctors but did find at least some of this out by going to a naturopath that did blood work.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived