Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi,

I have been gluten free since April and have convinced 2 doctors that I either have non-antibody producing Celiac (which runs in my family) or gluten intolerance and feel great!!

This past week I have been feeling sluggish, gassy, fatigued, and bloated. I know I am not feeling gluten because I am not having C or brain fog, but I still feel yucky. The only thing that was different about this week is that I had a ton of milk (milk with dinner, in coffee, on cereal in the morning, in ice cream, in cheese...). Each time after I ate it I felt icky (technical term :P ) about an hour afterwards. Does this sound like a casein issue? I know all signs say it does, but I really love cheese and ice cream!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, and I'm all about convincing people to go dairy-free....however, in this case, you might have just overdone it. I'd try cutting dairy out completely for a few weeks. You can then slowly reintroduce small amounts of it and see how you do :)

My casein intolerance is all about belching, a sulphur taste/smell, vomintg and diarreah....

It all starts about 2 hours after eating milk and then ends after about 9 hours of hell..

Does casein issues do intestinal damage as gluten does for a celiac? I have asked before and recieved inconclusive answers. Any one know?

Aged cheddar cheese hits me hard! Although, I don't get the brain fog.

You might have casein intolerance, or you might have a slight lactose intolerance. I feel sick if I eat a ton of dairy (like more than three servings a day) so I try not to eat too much. Sounds like you ate a lot so maybe you'll be able to handle it if you ate less.

Thanks-- it is the milk. We have figured that much out. I am going off milk for 2 weeks, seeing if it makes me sick, then will stay off until I feel better. I think that it is lactose, not casein (or at least hoping)

Thanks for the suggestions!

When I tested thru Enterolab, I did both the gluten testing and got a bonus one for casein. I tested positive for casein, and the doc from Enterlab said continuing to eat dairy could do just as much damage as eating gluten. I stopped eating gluten, and also eliminated dairy for many months. After that, I've found that I can tolerate small amounts of dairy.....a bit of milk in my cappuccino, a yogurt here and there. But I'm careful not to have too much, and not every day. I always thought it was the lactose that bothered me....perhaps it was lactose AND casein, I don't know. Certain things bother me more than others....the worse are milk and ice cream.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana