Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi everyone, I'm going nuts looking for a good recipe or a brand of bread that I can buy to use for sandwiches and veggie burgers. Does anyone have anything that they really like and would like to recommend? Thanks. :rolleyes:

I love the Kinnikinnick brand. Their italian white is fantastic, like all of our breads it needs to be zapped and or toasted but it has the texture of bread not cardboard and doesn't fall apart. They also make a frozen pizza shell that is flaky and doughy and is also good for cream cheese and jelly. Their hamburger and hot dog buns are good also and make sure you pick up and try their version of a sandwhich cookie, chocolate and vannila are both good for eating plain, dunking and crumbing for ice cream and pie crusts. Others will be on with their fav's I am sure so I'll stop now. :)

If you feel up to baking, I used this one and thought it turned out great. So far, it's the only one that my daughter will eat even if it's not toasted. (She preferred her wheat bread toasted, too)

http://www.recipezaar.com/190906

At this point, my daughter is the only one that has to eat gluten-free (son is being tested). The rest of us are eating gluten-lite. We all try her gluten-free items and help pick out the versions that are most like the prediagnosis, gluten-filled items. The rest of the family agrees, that so far, this is the best bread.

Hi everyone, I'm going nuts looking for a good recipe or a brand of bread that I can buy to use for sandwiches and veggie burgers. Does anyone have anything that they really like and would like to recommend? Thanks. :rolleyes:

Hi 'stargazer',

if you want to bake your own bread here is a couple of recipes, I bake the Artisan Bread every

2 - 3 days.

Loaf and Roll Recipe (with photo)

Crusty Artisan Bread Recipe (with photo's)

Regards,

David

I use Chebe brand bread mixes, they are very simple to make and they are delicious, once I make them, the whole family goes nuts, I can't keep the bread in the house and you can freeze the dough to use it at a later time, they have a website, I believe it is chebe.com. Check it out and let us know what you think about it. You get to add your own spices, and cheeses you want too.

Breads from Anna mixes are amazing. Also Against the Grain bagels, baguettes and rolls are amazing. You can buy them in Northeast Whole Foods. I don't know about the rest of the country. They are made in Bratteboro VT and I think there is a website.

I totally agree about Anna's mixes..... Another ready m ade is Everybody Eats baguettes & crusty rolls are to die for....

I will driving five hours jusst to get a sample of against the grain breads. I have heard they are sooooo good I can't wait . Right now the distribution isn't good .......

mamaw

I 2nd the Grainless Baker. I had a delicious turkey with swiss sandwich on mock rye today for lunch with their bread. No toasting and crumbling. And last night I had a yummy grilled cheese with it.

If you want a mix, I like the Anna breads.

I also love Breads by Anna. She came to a local celiac support group meeting last night with samples of 6 of her bread mixes. If you want to bake your own yeast or quick breads, I recommend her mixes. You can make sandwich breads or burger buns from her mixes. She also makes an easy to prepare pie crust.

However, if you want to order premade breads that last at least a year unopened on the pantry shelf or several months in the freezer after opening, I recommend Ener-G's Seattle Brown bread, hamburger buns and hotdog buns. They also have a great Corn Loaf (tastes like sour dough), Harvest Loaf (very dark and sweet) and Brown Rice with Sweet Potato English Muffins. Unfortunately Ener-G has developed a bad rep, because they offer their (HORRIBLE) rice and tapioca loaves in nation wide stores. Meanwhile all the other great breads they make are only available online for many people. Fortunately I live in Seattle, where Ener-G has their bakery. So I can walk into their bakery and see everything they offer, sample products and get discount 'sale' products. They also offer monthly online 'sales'. Also several Seattle area health food stores carry the better tasting Ener-G Breads I mentioned (Seattle Brown, etc.).

BURDEE

I have to recommend Kinnikinnick. Our whole family is gluten-free and have tried lots of different breads. So far theirs seems the best. Plus, they make yeast-free/egg-free/milk-free breads. Im sure you could make a good bread with the right recipe, but we are pretty busy and don't have time to experiment. We usually buy two dozen loaves at one time and freeze them. To thaw we bought a toaster that has that defrost/toast option, so its easy to make sandwiches, etc.