This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vet Called Me During Surgery On Big Boy Not Good News

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The vet just called. Big Boy was still under anesthesia for the extraction of the bad teeth. They fell out in her hand. She suspects that he has cancer but we will not know for sure until the biopsy is back. She said there is still a chance it was just a bad infection so those of you who do please say a prayer or two for the big guy. I have been prepared from the beginning to lose him, this came on so suddenly that I was fearful it might be something worse than just bad teeth. They just don't get that bad in cats as young as him with no other issues. Thanks everyone for your good thoughts.

Krista

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
The vet just called. Big Boy was still under anesthesia for the extraction of the bad teeth. They fell out in her hand. She suspects that he has cancer but we will not know for sure until the biopsy is back. She said there is still a chance it was just a bad infection so those of you who do please say a prayer or two for the big guy. I have been prepared from the beginning to lose him, this came on so suddenly that I was fearful it might be something worse than just bad teeth. They just don't get that bad in cats as young as him with no other issues. Thanks everyone for your good thoughts.

Krista

I will be thinking of Big Boy and you as well Krista. I have two cats in their 20's and I know that their day will come soon. My heart goes out to you. I hope for him that which makes him the most comfortable.

confused Community Regular

prayers just said for you and big boy. I sure hope its not cancer. Please keep us updated.

paula

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Krista I will keep you and Big Boy in my thoughts, I understand, our cat just went through a few rough months and they were leaning towards cancer, He is a part of my family. Keep us posted.

jerseyangel Proficient

Lots of good thoughts and prayers out to Big Boy from my kitty and me. Krista, I hope they are mistaken about this--we'll think positively :)

Nic Collaborator

I am hoping all goes well for your cat. How old is he? We lost our beloved Grizzly Bear (a cat) 2 years ago to kidney failure. She was 17 years old. We actually decided to put her down because she was so sick and the doctor said it could go on that way for several days or up to a week or more. She was no longer eating or drinking and couldn't walk anymore. So, those of us pet lovers can very much relate to the worry of one of our family members. Hope all goes well.

Nicole

2kids4me Contributor

I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Points to keep in mind: (and I have been in vet med for 25 + years)

- the bloodwork was normal - if it was cancer, there should have been some indication on the bloodwork ( there are certain things we see).

- appetite improved on antibiotics - means infection is primary cause

- the gum can be really "reactive" and has something called "hyperplasia" around bad teeth, (it means the tissue is swollen /scar like tissue, usually lumpy and bumpy). This improves over a few months following removal of bad teeth.

-I have rarely see cancer as the cause of rotten teeth

-when I have seen oral cancers - the teeth look healthy but are surrounded by the tumour

- teeth that are rotten will fall out in your hands - because the bones has been eaten away by infection, there is nothing left to hold the tooth. That's why he will feel TONS better after all this.

- Its easy to say "dont worry" - but I realize that until the biopsy is back to confirm it is just a "tissue response" to infection........you will worry

- it seems your vet is very thorough and wants to keep you informed. He likely called you so he would have permission to biopsy and you wouldnt be told this as you are picking him up

Let us know when he is home... and he will likely leave some blood traces /clots in his water bowl when he goes to drink - so dont freak out . He may not want to eat much right away, he may want to curl up somewhere OR he may pace and be quite restless - this is after effect from the anesthesia that we see in some pets.

Big Hugs

Sandy

** we did a dental on a toy poodle once (notorius for bad teeth), he had 14 extractions - and all but one of the teeth were pulled by hand ( falling out). This wee dog felt so much better the next day that the owner phoned to tell us he was "dancing again" - the dog would get up on hind legs and twirl....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Update, he is home and feeling much much better. He tore through not only his food but the other cat's as well. I am keeping him on soft stuff for a bit but he seems to be doing well. We have to wait on the biopsy of course but I am tending to think along the lines of what Sandy posted. Hopefully the worst is over. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. The vet sent me home prepared to syringe feed him, I have had to that once with a kitty with a wired jaw and am soooo happy I don't have to try it with him.

jerseyangel Proficient
Update, he is home and feeling much much better. He tore through not only his food but the other cat's as well. I am keeping him on soft stuff for a bit but he seems to be doing well. We have to wait on the biopsy of course but I am tending to think along the lines of what Sandy posted. Hopefully the worst is over. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. The vet sent me home prepared to syringe feed him, I have had to that once with a kitty with a wired jaw and am soooo happy I don't have to try it with him.

:D

Jestgar Rising Star

I'm glad he's home and feeling better.

Archived