Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lawrence

Soy Sauce

Hello All,

I was looking at a package of soy sauce from a Chinese restaurant in NYS and I thought that the soy sauce might be gluten free. The ingredients on the package are: water, salt, vegetable protein, corn syrup, caramel color, 1/10 of 1% sodium benzoate. It is by W.Y. INDUSTRIES, INC 2500 Secaucus RD, North Bergen, NJ, 07047 www.wyindustries.com I aksed them if there soy sauce and duck sauce was gluten free and this was their response: Corn syrup , Corn Starch, Veg protein is soy based, Caramel color is corn based, vingear from acetic acid. So I am figuring that this soy sauce is gluten free, am I correct?

The caramel is what stood out for me (quite often it is wheat based) but they said it was corn based, so that's eliminated....

The rest looks okay to me - nothing else stands out.

I do know there are some gluten free soy sauces out there, making the rounds in the chinese food industry. Perhaps this is one of them.

Here is another:

http://www.kariout.com/pdfs/glutenpdf.pdf

Karen

Thanks for the replies. Good to here we all agree that it is gluten free. BTW I have heard of Kari Out but I can never find it. :( Oh well I guess I can just ask for this one or Kari Out now.

I would think if it is produced locally you would be okay. Here in China labeling isn't complete, but all soy sauce has wheat in it. If yours is imported and then re-labeled, I would wonder.

Karen, caramel coloring is not something I worry about. Shelley Case writes in her book (click here) that it is (1) usually corn based in North America, and (2) so highly processed that no detectable gluten remains even if the source were to be wheat. That is good enough for me.

Karen, caramel coloring is not something I worry about. Shelley Case writes in her book (click here) that it is (1) usually corn based in North America, and (2) so highly processed that no detectable gluten remains even if the source were to be wheat. That is good enough for me.

That's good to know Peter! Thanks!

:D

LaChoy Soy Sauce does not list wheat as an ingredient as other brands do. They do list "Caramel Color" but only list "Soy" as an allergen.

Sandi

I eat La choy on a almost daily basis, and while i do get glutened alot, It is never because of the soy sauce! I also get the low sodium, because it's better for you!