Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Juliebove

Quinoa Pasta

I got some of this from my health food store. They buy it in bulk and repackage it. The only shape they had was macaroni. I don't know if this particular brand comes in other shapes or not. They were going to check for me. At any rate it was yummy! Tasted more like regular pasta to me than the corn or rice pasta.

I've been making tuna casserole for my daughter but having to come up with my own "cream" sauce since she is allergic to dairy. With the rice pasta it always tasted like it was missing something. Not so with the quinoa pasta. It was sooooo good! :D

I've been making tuna casserole for my daughter but having to come up with my own "cream" sauce since she is allergic to dairy. With the rice pasta it always tasted like it was missing something. Not so with the quinoa pasta. It was sooooo good! :D

I've used Imagine's 'creamy portabello soup' and added mushrooms of my own (and thickened with sweet rice flour). works well! :)

I've used Imagine's 'creamy portabello soup' and added mushrooms of my own (and thickened with sweet rice flour). works well! :)

We love the quinoa pasta--it is available in lots of shapes and in "veggie colors" as well. I find it holds up really well to casseroles etc...a bit more protein than the others too!!

I will look at that again, but I think it has something she is allergic to in it. Just looked it up. Soymilk. She's allergic to soy.

I got some of this from my health food store. They buy it in bulk and repackage it. The only shape they had was macaroni. I don't know if this particular brand comes in other shapes or not. They were going to check for me. At any rate it was yummy! Tasted more like regular pasta to me than the corn or rice pasta.

can i ask how u make your own cream sauce, i also cant have dairy or soy but would love to start making casserole like with chicken or tuna.

paula

I have to add a big thumbs up for the quinoa pasta as well. It seems the closest to wheat. I made a tuna casserole the other day and my non-gluten-free hubby woofed quite a bit of it down, and even when he found out it was gluten-free, continued eating then and for leftovers the next day. He has tried some of the other things like the corn or rice spaghetti, but always poo-poo'd them. So I was thrilled to find something that he tolerated, even liked!

The sauce I used was a can of gluten-free mushroom soup. I've also made it from white sauce, using a flour blend and milk, so no help on the sauce question.

I would love to know how the sauce is made. I can't do dairy or soy either and I have given up on dairy replacements because they're all soy, or if they're made with rice, they aren't truly dairy free. I would appreciate it...if you're willing.

Kassandra

I have to add a big thumbs up for the quinoa pasta as well. It seems the closest to wheat. I made a tuna casserole the other day and my non-gluten-free hubby woofed quite a bit of it down, and even when he found out it was gluten-free, continued eating then and for leftovers the next day. He has tried some of the other things like the corn or rice spaghetti, but always poo-poo'd them. So I was thrilled to find something that he tolerated, even liked!

The sauce I used was a can of gluten-free mushroom soup. I've also made it from white sauce, using a flour blend and milk, so no help on the sauce question.

What brand did you get? I've been wanting to try the Quinoa pasta. There is one in a teal box at Whole Foods I was going to try. Rocco Dispirito recommended it to me so I figure it's gotta be good...

can i ask how u make your own cream sauce, i also cant have dairy or soy but would love to start making casserole like with chicken or tuna.

paula

With chicken or turkey, I just make a gravy using some broth and sweet rice flour to thicken.

For the tuna casserole, I start with a bunch of mushrooms. I use either fresh or dried or a combination of both. The dried ones need to be reconstituted in hot water first. I then put them in the food processor along with an onion and a couple of ribs of celery and chop it all very fine. This mixture is cooked down in a little bit of olive oil. It will release quite a bit of liquid so once it has gotten to this point, I add enough sweet rice flour to thicken it. It isn't exactly a cream sauce but close enough.

I have tried using rice milk or Vance's Dari Free to make a cream sauce but it comes out too sweet for my liking. Daughter likes it that way, but to me it's inedible.

And I don't remember the brand of quinoa pasta I used---waah! I'll have to look again next time I shop.

Although I haven't tried it yet, I was just looking into quinoa pasta through the brand Ancient Harvest (corn & quinoa). I make a soy-free, dairy free, gluten-free sauce by putting broth in a jar (either Shelton's chicken broth or left-over beef juice from a london broil, roast, or steak). I add about 2 tsp sorghum flour. I shake it up. Heat it on the stove (med to med high) until boiling some. Then I add water or coconut milk until it reaches the consistency I want. Lots of salt and spices. You must eat it soon, as it will congeal quickly. The beef tastes better. I like the chicken sauce better when I add garlic powder and basil (add it at the end or it will clump). I also make a hamburger helper type of thing. I cook hamburger meat, add pacific tomato sauce and gluten-free chili powder and other spices.

I would love to know how the sauce is made. I can't do dairy or soy either and I have given up on dairy replacements because they're all soy, or if they're made with rice, they aren't truly dairy free. I would appreciate it...if you're willing.

Kassandra

I find that coconut milk is a great replacement in baking, sauces, and mashed potatoes. Shelton's chicken broth or just hot water is good for this as well. Yeah, even the new Hemp Milk, has rice syrup (not sure if Hemp Bliss does also, but the other brand does). I posted some sauce recipes above also

I find that coconut milk is a great replacement in baking, sauces, and mashed potatoes. Shelton's chicken broth or just hot water is good for this as well. Yeah, even the new Hemp Milk, has rice syrup (not sure if Hemp Bliss does also, but the other brand does). I posted some sauce recipes above also

I have not tried coconut milk in potatoes. Or hemp milk. Will have to look for that. When I do mashed potatoes, I usually use those little tubes of concentrated liquid bouillon. I leave a small amount of water in the pan, reserving some in case I need more. I think add 2-3 tubes of boullion, depending on how much I am making. I usually add some chives, green onions or parsley, Real Salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. For a buttery taste, I add avocado oil. I wouldn't think I would like it since I hate avocados, but it does taste like butter! When I do stuffed baked potatoes, I use olive oil and rice milk.

I love the Ancient Harvest brand of Quinoa pasta!! It's a corn & quinoa blend, and it's great. I even cook it for family that can have gluten, and they all loved it too!

I've also been experimenting with Almond, Rice and Hemp milks too for cooking. Some are good for certain things, others for something else! Maybe I'll find a universal one someday!

ps...I LOVE Imagine creamy tomato soup!! Dairy and soy free as well!!

http://www.imaginefoods.com/products/product/1608.php

I love the Ancient Harvest brand of Quinoa pasta!! It's a corn & quinoa blend, and it's great. I even cook it for family that can have gluten, and they all loved it too!

I've also been experimenting with Almond, Rice and Hemp milks too for cooking. Some are good for certain things, others for something else! Maybe I'll find a universal one someday!

ps...I LOVE Imagine creamy tomato soup!! Dairy and soy free as well!!

http://www.imaginefoods.com/products/product/1608.php

We had the Ancient Harvest brand last night. It was okay but I think I prefer the plain corn or plain quinoa for some reason.

I also love the Imagine tomato soup. Yum!

We had the Ancient Harvest brand last night. It was okay but I think I prefer the plain corn or plain quinoa for some reason.

I also love the Imagine tomato soup. Yum!

Hmmm...I've never even seen just quinoa pasta before!! I'll have to keep looking I guess. Do you remember what brand the plain quinoa was?? I do know that if you overcook Ancient Harvest...it's not nearly as good. It took me a few times, but now I just make sure it doesn't boil for more than 5 min, and then it's great. Any more than that, and it's really overcooked.

ps...I bought the new Imagine Bistro Corn Chipolte Bisque.....when I opened it, it was SUPER garlic-y!! My husband couldn't even stand how strong it was, and we didn't even cook it! So, if you aren't into garlic, steer clear of that one!!

Hmmm...I've never even seen just quinoa pasta before!! I'll have to keep looking I guess. Do you remember what brand the plain quinoa was?? I do know that if you overcook Ancient Harvest...it's not nearly as good. It took me a few times, but now I just make sure it doesn't boil for more than 5 min, and then it's great. Any more than that, and it's really overcooked.

ps...I bought the new Imagine Bistro Corn Chipolte Bisque.....when I opened it, it was SUPER garlic-y!! My husband couldn't even stand how strong it was, and we didn't even cook it! So, if you aren't into garlic, steer clear of that one!!

Heh! I don't like chipotles either. Odd because I do like hot peppers.

The brand of pasta I bought is Andean Naturals. I bought it at my health food store. They get it in bulk and bag it themselves. Here's a link to their website.

http://truhealth.com/

I know they do ship things, but I'm not sure if that applies to food or just supplements.

Heh! I don't like chipotles either. Odd because I do like hot peppers.

The brand of pasta I bought is Andean Naturals. I bought it at my health food store. They get it in bulk and bag it themselves. Here's a link to their website.

http://truhealth.com/

I know they do ship things, but I'm not sure if that applies to food or just supplements.

Yeah, I love hot peppers too, so I thought it would be great! Oh well, lesson learned!!

I'm going to check out that pasta too! Thanks for the link!!