Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Juliebove

New Vegan Rice Cheese.

Oh that's awesome!! I actually just saw some rice cheese the other day (not sure what brand) and I was so mad that there was casein in it!! I will be trying this for sure!! Thanks for the heads up!! :D

Thank you--I'm going to look for this. Their other rice cheeses had casein from milk.

This one looks good.

Yeah, I actually think it was this brand that I saw...the packaging was so similar. I hope my store gets the new ones in soon!!

I've just tried some of this. It isn't too bad in a sandwich. I wouldn't eat it by itself or just on a cracker, though. Not quite cheeselike ... Of course, tastes vary. I've heard people before who absolutely love this stuff. Others dislike it.

Hathor, do you think it might melt (like on a pizza or a hot sandwich?) I haven't seen any of this around yet, but I'm going to keep my eyes open.

Rho

I'm wondering about this, too.. I'm thinking grilled cheese and bacon sandwich.....

I've found this in cheddar and cheddar jack flavors. It's ok - it melts. I wouldn't eat it cold on anything.

I'm thinking nachos. I do like the Nacho Chreese dip, but I fondly remember a big platter of nachos with beans, maybe some taco meat, olives, onions and tomatoes on top. Perhaps mixed in with all the other stuff it might be cheesier? Oh I can't wait for mine to come in. My health food store is ordering it for me along with some Ricera yogurt!

I am sorry but this brand SUCKS. It was some of the worst cheese ever.

I have found a better cheese that MELTS. It is so good. I put it on my veggie burgers and pizza. My non-gluten-free and non-vegan friend had pizza with me and said he wouldn't have known it was fake cheese if I hadn't told him.

http://www.imearthkind.com/

Oh, how I've missed cheese. I bought this stuff this weekend because I'm also soy free, and, um, gross. It left a horrible aftertaste and was nothing like cheese. I'm going to try it melted next because I spent money on it, but, yeah, it's not good.

Darn.

I wish someone could make a good soy free, dairy free, gluten-free cheese!

I am sorry but this brand SUCKS. It was some of the worst cheese ever.

I have found a better cheese that MELTS. It is so good. I put it on my veggie burgers and pizza. My non-gluten-free and non-vegan friend had pizza with me and said he wouldn't have known it was fake cheese if I hadn't told him.

http://www.imearthkind.com/

That stuff is made of soy and we can't have soy.

Hathor, do you think it might melt (like on a pizza or a hot sandwich?) I haven't seen any of this around yet, but I'm going to keep my eyes open.

Rho

Others have answered the question. Apparently it does. I haven't tried doing that yet.

As I said before, this is not a product where you want the cheese to come through. Definitely not a product to eat by itself. I found it fine on a sturdy bread with some lettuce & tomato. Also the more times I ate it the more I liked it. My initial distaste was probably due in part to the fact that it isn't a taste & consistency twin of "real" cheese. (Yes, indeed, here the cheese does NOT stand alone. Sorry -- I couldn't resist that one :lol: )

(This probably explains my distaste for "cheese" sauces based on nutritional yeast. I didn't want to go through the process of learning to accept the flavor. But turns out I can't have yeast either ...)

I've heard of a number of nice soy-based cheeses but that doesn't help us.

I found another nondairy, nonsoy cheese called VeganRella. But it contains oat flour.

So the only cheese-like substance out there that is gluten, casein, & soy free seems to be the Galaxy brand. You figure out a way to eat it you like or you just give up on the idea of having a cheese.

People's tastes vary and can change given the context. I had some New Grist beer by itself at home & I thought it awful. I wished I had purchased Redbridge instead. But yesterday I was at a restaurant that only had New Grist. Drank with a meal -- and it being the only beer available to me -- well, it didn't seem half bad.

I bought the cheddar block and like many others, we can't eat it cold or alone. It was good shredded and cooked on a pizza though. Definitely helped cure my craving for pizza! :)

Just a head's up -- the cheddar block contains casein.

Someone has :D It's called Parma

:):):)

I checked out the site...but I didn't see anywhere where it stated Parma was soy free. Maybe it lists it on the package itself??

I did try the rice cheese this weekend. I attempted to make a grilled cheese. It didn't really melt very well. :( Maybe, if I left it on longer, it may have melted a tiny bit.......but then the bread would be a little too crispy!! Taste was ok, not great....but I wasn't expecting a lot, being soy, dairy and gluten free!! But it's better than nothing, in my opinion! I definitely would not eat it just by itself either.

I checked out the site...but I didn't see anywhere where it stated Parma was soy free. Maybe it lists it on the package itself??

It's soy-free (I'm allergic to soy). Here are the ingredients:

"It's made with ONLY: raw organic walnuts, Red Star nutritional yeast, Celtic sea salt, and love.

It's soy-free (I'm allergic to soy). Here are the ingredients:

Oh, I'm definitely getting this then!! Thanks for the super quick reply too Mango04!! :D

Oh, yeah, now I remember Parma being mentioned before.

Unfortunately, I can't have yeast either :( I guess I didn't want to remember something good I couldn't eat :rolleyes:

I got my Rice Cheese last night. I got the cheddar flavor. I was a little concerned because it contains hot peppers, but the cheese itself doesn't taste hot at all. And I thought it tasted like real cheese, straight from the package, although it was slightly oily. The only problem I have with it is the carb count. 6g per slice, so as a diabetic, I have to limit how much of it I eat.

I made loaded nachos with it. Layer of chips, some refried beans, the cheese, torn in pieces, chopped tomatoes, chopped green onions and black olives. Nuked for a minute, then topped with salsa. Yum!!! Tastes just like the real thing and daughter loved it too.