Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

Business Trip To Portland, Or...looking For Some Tips

So a quick update for everyone who is familiar w/ my situation. I just got a new job a couple weeks ago (finally did it!!!). I LOVE IT! Working for a TMJ therapy office, and everyone there is so wonderful! I'm so much happier there, being respected and validated as an equal part of a team. YAY!

Well, we're going up to Portland for a convention next week (for 4 days), and I'm trying to get ready for this. I'm totally stoked, and they are all aware of my celiac disease, but I wanted to be extra prepared. What I'm looking for is first of all, where in Portland, downtown, and near the airport is good for celiacs? Anywhere I should avoid?

Secondly, what should I bring with me. I don't know what we'll be doing as far as all our meals, but I want to make sure I don't go hungry. This is especially tricky w/ my hypoglycemia, since I have to eat every 3 or so hours. Here's my list so far, help me add to it:

Rice cakes

Peanut butter

Individual-sized tuna cans (to be thrown in the purse in case lunch is scary).

Crackers

gluten-free Oatmeal for breakfast

Maybe some fruit? string cheese and jerky?

I can probably keep things fresh if the room has a fridge, otherwise, I'm sure I can locate the ice machine. My husband suggested I make some things to take w/ me, and I think he was referring to meal-like food, or stuff that has to be kept cold. What else can I bring? Thanks in advance!

There's a celiac support group in Portland that have a website, and some restaurants posted. PF Changs is close to downtown, and I think the Corbett fish house (almost totally gluten-free restaurant, other than sandwich bread).

Call and see if the hotel has a fridge and a microwave you could use.

I am from PDX but haven't been back there since going gluten-free, so next winter when I get home for 2 months I'll be on a learning curve too!

Portland has tons of gluten free shopping and dining choices! I'll post a link to a Portland area blog that has gluten-free links on the right side of the page. Since you'll be in the downtown area, I thought I'd mention that there's a Whole Food's on NW 13th & Couch st so you won't starve!

http://graindamaged.blogspot.com/

thanks guys!

If you have time, you must try either the Corbett or Hawthorne fish house (same family owns both). You must order the catfish--to die for (the cod is good too)!!! Then top it off with the gluten-free cheesecake. We were in HEAVEN!! Have fun! It's rainy here right now, but so beautiful-I couldn't imagine living anywhere else!!

Trail mix with nuts and dried fruit, and I'd make a crapload of chicken and pasta salads, because they don't need heating. Can you have dairy? Bring a big thing of plain yogurt with applesauce or frozen cherries mixed in.

the trip was wonderful! even better was the fact that my coworkers actually concerned themselves with my diet restrictions. its a very big change from where i was working, where people would put glutenous goodies in front of me and taunt me for not being able to eat them.

i couldn't remember the name of the fish house, so we ended up going to McCormick & Schmick's downtown. WOW! It was AMAZING! I had the stuffed salmon, a caprese salad, and a flourless chocolate cake for dessert. i just about died of so much good food! it was seriously so wonderful!!

we ate at the hotel a lot, and the airport too. great experiences, every day! i brought oatmeal for breakfast, but they had a splendid breakfast buffet that i enjoyed instead. was glad i brought snacks though, as the days were long! thanks for all the help. i'm going to have to try corbett's on my next trip out there! i could use a good gluten-free cheesecake!!