Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarad1

Bananas

I have some bananas that I need to use asap or will have to throw out. I wanted to make some gluten-free bread this evening but totally forgot to go to the store after school! Anyone have any ideas on what to do with my bananas that uses few ingredients? I have baking powder, sugar, corn starch, all that good stuff.....no xantham gum or gluten-free flour though. Am I just out of luck?

Step son (the youngest boy in picture) diagnosed with Celiac December of 2006, family eats gluten free most of the time, but not always.

I believe my husband also has Celiac, but is too stubborn to be tested.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Put your bananas in the skins in the freezer. When you are ready to use them, defrost and peel. They will keep for months and their color and flavor will not diminish. I've been doing this for years.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Put your bananas in the skins in the freezer. When you are ready to use them, defrost and peel. They will keep for months and their color and flavor will not diminish. I've been doing this for years.

Yes--I've been doing this for as long as I can remember. When you have your ingredients in the house, just defrost the bananas, and they will work fine :)

If you can get Ener-g Rice Flour, the banana bread recipe on the box is my absolute favorite.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Yes--I've been doing this for as long as I can remember. When you have your ingredients in the house, just defrost the bananas, and they will work fine :)

If you can get Ener-g Rice Flour, the banana bread recipe on the box is my absolute favorite.

Oh thanks guys. I guess that will have to do, I was just craving something with bananas NOW! My patience wears thin when it comes to sweets. I can't wait to try the banana bread recipe, I absolutely love it and zucchini bread and would hate to make it with wheat flour and eat it in front of my step son. How rude would that be?

Thanks guys!

Step son (the youngest boy in picture) diagnosed with Celiac December of 2006, family eats gluten free most of the time, but not always.

I believe my husband also has Celiac, but is too stubborn to be tested.

Join eNewsletter

You can make something like ice cream. You simply cut them in chunks, freeze them, then when you're ready to eat, put the frozen chunks in the blender and whip them into a frozen dessert. If you make more than you can eat at one time, freeze it in ice cube trays and whip it back in the blender to soften it up a bit.

You can also dip the bananas in chocolate and nuts and freeze them.

Join eNewsletter

This needs flour but its a good recipe, its a huge recipe so adjust it accordingly unless you want 10 dozen cookies :D

1 1/2 cups melted butter (you can use smart balance for a butter replacer)

2 cups white granulated sugar

3/4 cup mashed very ripe banana

4 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 beaten eggs, or egg replacer

4 cups flour blend with xantham gum

2 cups finely chopped walnuts or pecans (measure after chopping)

1/2 cup white granulated sugar, for later

Mix butter, sugar, beaten eggs, baking soda and salt. Mash them until they are smooth. Add banana puree and mix thoroughly. Mix in flour and then the nuts. Cover your bowl and refrigerate it for 4 hours.

When your ready to bake preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll chilled dough into walnut sized balls. Wet your hands so the dough wont stick. Roll them in the 1/2 cup sugar. Place dough balls on a greased cookie sheet 12 to a sheet, push them down lightly just so they wont roll off. Then return bowl to fridge.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees or until they are lightly golden in color. They will flatten out by themselves. Let them cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet then transfer to wire rack.

Approximately 10 dozen cookies

Join eNewsletter

This is good to know, I never had heard of this before :)

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

This is good to know, I never had heard of this before :)

Yeah, they keep forever in the peel, but if you peel and freeze, don't leave for more than a few days or you get furry bananas! It's a good way to make your banana bread sweeter with less refined sugar, because once it's been frozen the fiber breaks down a bit and I think it ferments a tiny bit as it's thawing, they always seem sweeter to me after freezing. Not to mention squishier, you almost don't need a banana masher.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Something to do with bananas asap without flour is a carmelized-like sauteed banana topping/sauce.

Slice the bananas and throw in a skillet with a little butter and brown sugar and sautee until the butter and brown sugar melt and form a sauce, the sauce will thicken a little bit.

Use for a topping on ice cream, pancakes, hot cream of rice cereal, etc.

If you have a gluten-free baking mix, muffins or cake, add 1 cup mashed banans to the mix. I've done this with the Namaste Spice Cake and the Muffin mixes.

Join eNewsletter

Something to do with bananas asap without flour is a carmelized-like sauteed banana topping/sauce.

Slice the bananas and throw in a skillet with a little butter and brown sugar and sautee until the butter and brown sugar melt and form a sauce, the sauce will thicken a little bit.

Use for a topping on ice cream, pancakes, hot cream of rice cereal, etc.

I do this, too, Julie! Kind of a makeshift "Bananas Foster"-- :P

So yummy :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter