Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1965kid

Cornmeal Question

Hi folks,

If I buy enriched Cornmeal (I have Great Value brand), is it all safe?

Like would Aunt Jemima cornmeal be safe?

It says it is processed in a facility that processes wheat , eggs, ect.

But it should be OK right?

I can get Arrowhead Mills cornmeal at the health food store here, but its $3.00. Where Aunt Jemimna is only a $1.00 for the same size package.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I ran into the same thing not long ago when I went looking for cornmeal for the first time. I chose the Arrowhead Mills and haven't had any probblems. I just can't see how it can be processed in the same facility and not be contaminated and I have gotten sick from contamination like this. I'm honestly not familiar with how these facilities are run so until I have more info. that would allay my concerns, I'll err on the safe side and pay more.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I'm really not too picky about shared facilities, but I prefer to get flours from dedicated lines or facilities. Walmart brand corm meal is not from a dedicated facility. I use Kinnikinnick cornmeal.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Join eNewsletter

I'm really not too picky about shared facilities, but I prefer to get flours from dedicated lines or facilities. Walmart brand corm meal is not from a dedicated facility. I use Kinnikinnick cornmeal.

We use Kinnikinnick cornmeal and cornflour too and breadcrumbs, guar gum and rice bran.

I get corn bran from somewhere else: I don't recall right now.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

I use Quaker and haven't had any problems with it.

Yellow Rose

27 years of misdiognoses

seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet

rheumatoid arthritis May 1980

wrist joint replacement Jan 1984

fibromyalgia May 1980

insomnia since the 80's

diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds

Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea

Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:

depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.

Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive

Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter