Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

HI PEEPS I WANTED TO NO WHAT SO OF ALCOHOLIC DRINKS WOULD BE FREE OF GLUTEN ID RUM,WHISKY OR VODKA OK AS THE WHISKY AND VODKA IS DISTILLED?

Hi i am a new member as well. Thought I would share with you what I've read about spirits. Vodka is started with grain mash,,so is not safe. Potato vodka is okay and a brand called belvedere, I have tried. Rye,whisky ,,all grains and wheats. Rum is from cane sugar and is okay,,as is tequila,most wines if not fortified are good as well,and i hear vermouthand cognac and sake is also okay.

Belinda

Recently diagnosed

gluten-free,soy-free,wheat-free,egg-free

and dairy-free

Living in Canada

https://www.celiac.com/articles/222/1/Glute...ages/Page1.html

The distillation process is said to remove the gluten protein from the product. A bourbon derived from grains can still be consumed by Celiacs if it is distilled. Now, with that said, there are some people here on the forum who will react.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Here is another good source for this info from the celiac sprue association. I am one of those celiacs who react to gluten grains even if not distilled. The only way to know for sure if you will is to try them when you are feeling good and not consuming anything else that is risky.

http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_choices.php

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)