This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chronically Chapped And Cracked Lips........need Non-petrolatum Base

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Howdy all.........

I am SO SO tired of this problem........constant chapped lips, no matter what I do. Seems I inherited this father from my problem, who ordered his chapstick (from France :huh: ) by the caseload......(I already tried, and they've since changed the formula of that one)..... Mygawd, we buried him with a tube of his chapstick, in fact, it was so cute because he was virtually never without it.

Anywho, mine seems to be getting worse (worse in winter, of course). No matter WHAT I use.......or if I try to go without (OMG not even possible - they would crack and then bleed, but they crack and bleed ANYWAY despite what I use)........

I drink TONS of water......and currently I'm using Bag Balm - which is evil - but not as evil as Carmex or Blistex - lips burned like heck and swelled to nearly twice their normal size on those!

Help me.....need gluten-free relief. I've tried everything - am now looking into emu oil. :blink:

Oh, Burt's Bees has peppermint oil - also evil.

Is there no hope?

:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
but not as evil as Carmex or Blistex - lips burned like heck and swelled to nearly twice their normal size on those!

Some people pay a lot of money for that look!!! You get it for only a couple bucks and are complaining? :blink::lol:

Sorry, I use Burt's Beeswax .... have you looked to see if the honey flavored one has peppermint? It seems to not have that burn that the normal one has.

Jestgar Rising Star

Coconut oil? You'd have to fix up your own tiny container.

jerseyangel Proficient

Susie,

I use Badger Balm

Open Original Shared Link

Also, if you do decide to try Emu oil, a little goes a long way ;)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Some people pay a lot of money for that look!!! You get it for only a couple bucks and are complaining? :blink::lol:

:lol: my mom commented on that and said, Oh! well then couldn't you look like Angelina Jolie? haha.......yeah, but they'd be cracked and BLEEDING............... :huh:

Coconut oil? You'd have to fix up your own tiny container.

OH! got some here, will try.

Patti - looking into your product, also! thanks..........

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I did quick search on the internet. I learned something new today. It is possible to make your own lip balm. The search was for "lip balm receipe". A lot of site came up. Below is just one of them:

Gook luck in locating something for your lips.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Here are the ingredients to the Burt's Beeswax Honey .. there's no peppermint oil.

ingredients: beeswax, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, lanolin, symphytum officinale (comfrey) root extract, flavor, honey, tocopheryl acetate, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, tocopherol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

I've been using Emu oil on my face at night. It's really good (grosses me out a little to think what it is though :blink: )

Have you tried jojoba oil or cocoa butter?

~alex~ Explorer

Have you tried putting a humidifier in your bedroom? It might help a bit although it does seem to help nasal dryness better than lip dryness for me.

Green12 Enthusiast

Susie Q,

I have the same problem, super dry cracked lips all year long, but even more so in the winter, and my feet.

I have noticed an improvement recently however, I have been taking high doses of fish oils so I am thinking for me it was from within (a lack of EFAs) not necessarily what moisturizer I have been using on my lips/feet.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I did quick search on the internet. I learned something new today. It is possible to make your own lip balm. The search was for "lip balm receipe". A lot of site came up. Below is just one of them:

Thanks Phyllis! I am actually going to try this! (just as soon as I locate some beeswax)

Here are the ingredients to the Burt's Beeswax Honey .. there's no peppermint oil.

ingredients: beeswax, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, lanolin, symphytum officinale (comfrey) root extract, flavor, honey, tocopheryl acetate, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, tocopherol

will buy it today...........

I've been using Emu oil on my face at night. It's really good (grosses me out a little to think what it is though :blink: )

Have you tried jojoba oil or cocoa butter?

Meredith - I just got a sample of this stuff called Skin Snack (bodymoose.com) with synthetic squalene (shark oil) in it.....not as gross as emu. Much less greasy than vitamin E or jojoba......and very soothing........

I have noticed an improvement recently however, I have been taking high doses of fish oils so I am thinking for me it was from within (a lack of EFAs) not necessarily what moisturizer I have been using on my lips/feet.

Julie - I am actually going to buy some fish oil capsules, thanks for the reminder.

ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

the most AMAZING thing has occurred!!!!!!! I made a little pot of coconut oil and vitamin E yesterday, used it all day long and before bed. OMG - today is the FIRST DAY in a long time that my lips were not irritated and peeling!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT"S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

The only problem is, the stuff stays on for about 10 minutes - no staying power - I've ordered Patti's Badger balm........

Next question:

any non-irritating lip glosses? I gotta have the lipsticks/gloss on all the time (part of my problem) :huh:

But thanks for all the info, girls! There is hope!

:)

• 2 years later...
glutenfreesince2007 Newbie

Howdy all.........

I am SO SO tired of this problem........constant chapped lips, no matter what I do. Seems I inherited this father from my problem, who ordered his chapstick (from France :huh: ) by the caseload......(I already tried, and they've since changed the formula of that one)..... Mygawd, we buried him with a tube of his chapstick, in fact, it was so cute because he was virtually never without it.

Anywho, mine seems to be getting worse (worse in winter, of course). No matter WHAT I use.......or if I try to go without (OMG not even possible - they would crack and then bleed, but they crack and bleed ANYWAY despite what I use)........

I drink TONS of water......and currently I'm using Bag Balm - which is evil - but not as evil as Carmex or Blistex - lips burned like heck and swelled to nearly twice their normal size on those!

Help me.....need gluten-free relief. I've tried everything - am now looking into emu oil. :blink:

Oh, Burt's Bees has peppermint oil - also evil.

Is there no hope?

:(

My dermatologist, allergist, and family physician have not been able to help me discover WHY this is happening to me--cycles of itching, burning, peeling, cracking dry lips. I have tried everything you can imagine and the only thing that keeps it at bay is applying a lotion to my lips which I buy from my dermatologist's office and it is called Vanicream. I tried Dan's lip balm, but it has hydrocortisone cream in it and apparently I am hypersensitive to that. Keep in mind that the lips are thin skin with lots of nerve endings. Many chap sticks can be addicting; and I would suggest avoiding them all together. I also now refrain from spicy, irritating foods that burn, i.e. green chile. I have also noticed that each time I clean my home and use furniture polish that I itch more, and will be using gloves to avoid contact with irritating chemicals in the future and try not to accidentally touch my face while using the furniture polish. If the thyroid is malfuncting, it can affect the health of the skin in various ways--just something to consider. Vitamin deficiences can also affect the skin.

• 2 weeks later...
lpellegr Collaborator

You might be able to use some Crisco, lightly. You'd have to pack some in a portable container and hope it wouldn't melt in your pocket. Maybe melt it with some beeswax first. You could try taking 500 mg of lysine daily - this fights both herpesviruses and weak connective tissue. I was getting flaking skin around my mouth and cracks in the corners, and if I use the lysine every day it doesn't happen, but it does come back if I skip it for a few days.

kareng Grand Master

Hub & oldest son have this sort of problem with fingers from robot building & car remodeling. Dermatologist told him to get CeraVe. I checked & it is gluten free. Its thick & I put it on lips sometimes & tastes like crisco. Sometimes I do olive oil, let soak in a minute & then CeraVe or chapstick to sort of seal the oil in. Olive oil is supposed to be very good on your skin. I get CeraVe at Walgreens or CVS.

• 2 weeks later...
anabananakins Explorer

I love this stuff, it's the only lip balm that works for me and it fixes everything else too - like mild burns, insect bites etc.

Archived