Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rpm999

Seasonings & Spices

we all know there's millions of them, but what do you need to look out with them? some people say too, but i don't get exactly what could be a risk...any certain ingredient that's a no-go?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

we all know there's millions of them, but what do you need to look out with them? some people say too, but i don't get exactly what could be a risk...any certain ingredient that's a no-go?

You need to look for McCormick Spices. They will always list any form of gluten if included in the ingredients. Certain things to look for, as in anything else, would be wheat, rye, malt and barley.

Here is some information that might be of help to you:

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/in...donothidegluten

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

no no, i know all that, i'm just curious to HOW a spice would even have gluten? are certain spices made through a huge process, or something? i'm not asking for products or anything, just wondering how that works :lol:

I've never ever found a spice in six years that isn't a mix that has gluten. It just doesn't happen. There used to be this rumor that companies put "flour" in to make the spice pour better, but that makes no sense at all. And these days in the U.S., if they did that it would HAVE to be listed.

There are some mixes, such as marinades and such that do have wheat in them, but once again, that HAS to be listed in the U.S. I've never found a spice or mix that has barley or rye, and if it did have barley, it would almost certainly be listed as malt.

To me, spices are a minor risk. Just read the ingredients.

richard

I would check out any spice mixture that contains any ingredient such as flavor or colors, where gluten can be hiding. Celiac.com has a list of these. I was distressed to find out that two teas I liked contained gluten, according to the company itself. The labels just say "natural flavors."

Remember that labeling only deals with intentional ingredients. Anything that gets in there due to cross-contamination doesn't have to be shown. Those "may contain traces," "processed in the same facility" warnings are voluntary. Also, any food regulated by the USDA is not currently covered by allergen labeling regs. The USDA has said it is going to issue rules consistent with what the FDA has; but they said this a long time ago and I haven't even seen them start the rulemaking yet.

I've seen anticaking ingredients mentioned on labels, so the concept isn't unheard of. I just haven't seen flour used. According to the Triumph Indian dining card & what I've read of the spice online, hing (asafedita) commonly has flour added because it is made from a resin. Something is needed to make it into a powder. I've never purchased this spice or seen it in a store so I don't know how the label reads.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)