• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest LittleMissAllergy

Has Anyone Taken Provera For "female Issues"?

Rate this topic

Guest LittleMissAllergy

I've been pretty sick over the past 2 years, and I ended up losing my period (before I even lost weight), and I also lost about 60 pounds of weight that I really didn't need to lose. I'm 5'6 and dropped to 85 pounds, and now I'm up to 113 and still have no period, yet I'm feeling a bit better. So the doctor has prescribed me a generic brand of Provera (progesterone?) that I am going to take for a week, and I'm supposed to start today. I'm a little nervous. Has anyone taken this before? I went online and looked at the side effects and I got freaked out a bit (I shouldn't have done that)...plus, I have pretty bad digestive pain and an exremely restricted diet (down to fat-free vegan diet) and I'm afraid that on top of all the side effects my digestive system will be damaged even further. I just don't want to put myself in a worse position since I've come pretty far, though I do know that 2 years is much too long to not have a period, and that does harm to the body in itself! Well anyways, if anyone has any info or experiences I'd love to hear :)

I've taken Provera in the past, while trying to conceive. I didn't have any adverse reactions to it, and it did what it was supposed to do! :) Good luck!!

My 16 yo dd only had one period and then never had another. It was one of the symptoms that drove me to figure out what was going on with all my kids. After two years without a period, she took a generic form of Provera for 10 days. She got her period before she even finished the progesterone and then stopped taking it. She has had two periods since then on her own. We don't know how much to attribute to the progesterone and how much to the gluten free diet, as she started the gluten-free diet not long before the progesterone.

The only side effect she suffered was an inability to sleep after a few days on it, but she is sensitive to artificial additives and it had an artificial coloring.

HTH,

Cathy

I don't know much about Provera, but I do know it's natural to lose your period when you are underweight .... it should come back as you gain more back. Your body will know when it's ready to support that function.

I have taken Provera before without any major side effects. Your body may need the jump start just to get your cycle back. Once you have 1 period, you may start getting it regularly again since you have healed some.

I took provera about seven months ago. I hadn't had a period in about five months. I just kept waiting and thinking that my period would come back when my body was ready, but it didnt. I looked at the side effects, freaked out, and didnt take it. Two months later, still no period. I went back to the doctor who ran soem tests and told me that my uterine lining was thickening, probably from not shedding it (having a period). I finally gave in and took the provera. I do remember that I had some mild side effects, but nothing major. I took it for six days and then I got my period (my doc told me to stop taking it when I got my period). Then I procedded to get a period every other week for six weeks. Went back to the doctor who assured me that it was just my body getting rid of all the extra uterine lining. After that, I had a normal cycle. One month later I got pregnant. Im now almost 15 weeks with a healthy baby. Good luck!

Guest LittleMissAllergy

Congratulations to all that got pregnant after using Provera!

And thank you to all who have assured me that it's safe to take...I'd still love to hear stories or experiences.

Does anyone care to share what the minor side effects were that they felt? I got brave after hearing from you guys and took my first pill this morning, and I'm just wondering what to expect :)

One word of caution on generics, they can change binders at will and often use gluten in them be sure to call and make certain this form is gluten free.

I had to take this after not having my period for 6 months and I had no side effects at all...and that was a HUGE shock to me because the pill and I do NOT get along. I took it for 6 days and then got my period about 2-3 days after stopping it. The only problem I had was the bleeding wouldn't stop, so I did have to go on the pill to stop the bleeding.

Don't really worry about that though...I have a history of bleeding for ridiculous amounts of time. I once had my period for 90 days straight, so my ob wanted to prevent that...lol.

Im trying to remember exactly what side effects I had. Obviously it was nothing major bc I can't really remember anything standing out, and I only took it a few months ago. I think I had some bloating, a little trouble sleeping, and some headaches. But I got my period after I believe six or seven days so then I could stop taking it. I guess my "big" side effect was getting my period every other week for about six weeks after that. I went back to my doctor freaking out, but she assured me it was just my body shedding the lining that had built up, and also my body just trying to regulate itself. Some women do go back on the pill to regulate their cycles. I choose not to do that since the reason my period had stopped was bc I stopped taking the pill. I had been on it for two years. It was a "regular" pill, not one of the kinds that gives you less periods a year. But for some reason when I stopped it just kinda shocked my body. But anyways, I choose to see if the bleeding would stop on its own and after a month and a half it did. The very next month I got pregnant.

I took this and it didn't work for me. I have not had a regular period in almost 5 years and I am 22 years old. I can't remember any side effects from this particular medicine. Good luck to you and I hope it works. :)

Guest LittleMissAllergy
I took this and it didn't work for me. I have not had a regular period in almost 5 years and I am 22 years old. I can't remember any side effects from this particular medicine. Good luck to you and I hope it works. :)

Hey...thanks everyone for all of the replies. I got brave a few weeks ago and took the 6 days of Provera, but I still don't have a period :( CaraLouise, I saw that it didn't work for you either...have you tried anything else?

My doctor has suggested that I see OBGYN, or try out another round of Provera at a higher dose. Is Provera very healthy for you? And also...I'm a bit nervous about going to the OBGYN, I've never been. Will they give me a "full" examine, if you know what I mean, or can I get away with just a consultation if its just a matter of not having my period?

The doctors have not found anything that will start it back because my hypothalamus gland does not work properly. They said until that starts working I will probably not have any periods and birth control pills make me feel terrible. I hope they find something that works for you. Keep me posted!