• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

JENinMICH

Fertile After Going Gluten Free. Suprise!

Rate this topic

I'm 35 and have had 5 years of infertility. I had four doctors say never, ever and that I had bad eggs (menopause). I didn't even make any follicles despite fertility drugs.

I was very ill this year, terrible diarrhea, reflux, nausea, iron deficiency anemia, Vit D def, mouth sores, depression, bad fibromyalgia, and weakness. My antibody tests were negative (which I HAD to demand) and I diagnosed myself because my GI doc thought I was a hypochondriac.

I stopped eating wheat in July and almost all my symtpoms went away! November 10th, I started eating again because they wanted to do a biopsy. After three weeks I found out I was pregnant!!!!!!! I'm four months along and immediately went back to doing Gluten Free!

How can they not be related? Honestly!!! Doctors stink.

Now if I could just them to check my vitamin levels as well.

They won't do it!

Congrats on the pregnancy!!! I am sure you are super excited!! It is amazing what dietary changes can do for our bodies. Modern medicine doesn't ALWAYS know it all. Stay healthy and keep us posted on your progress!!

-Jessica

Congrats on being pregnant. I am also in a similar situation. I went gluten free about a month ago because of GI issues. My gastro actually suggested it though. I also have been trying for 2 1/2 years to get pregnant with no luck. Maybe this month will be my lucky one! I am going through all those wonderful shots. I am hoping it works, I feel so much better after going gluten free it has to help. Or so I keep telling myself!!!

Congratulations on your good news!!!! I'm pretty sure your going gluten-free had a huge hand in your situation turning around!

Congrats! I went gluten-free in Feb. 2007, DH went gluten-free June 2007 and August 2007 I was pregnant :P I think going gluten-free is the best thing a woman with fertility issues can do! Good luck with your pregnancy!

Jen, that is exciting news! And it doesn't surprise me a bit.

If your doctor won't check your vitamin and mineral levels, it may be time to find yourself a new doctor.

In the meantime, take a good prenatal vitamin that has folic acid in it.

I'm 35 and have had 5 years of infertility. I had four doctors say never, ever and that I had bad eggs (menopause). I didn't even make any follicles despite fertility drugs.

I was very ill this year, terrible diarrhea, reflux, nausea, iron deficiency anemia, Vit D def, mouth sores, depression, bad fibromyalgia, and weakness. My antibody tests were negative (which I HAD to demand) and I diagnosed myself because my GI doc thought I was a hypochondriac.

I stopped eating wheat in July and almost all my symtpoms went away! November 10th, I started eating again because they wanted to do a biopsy. After three weeks I found out I was pregnant!!!!!!! I'm four months along and immediately went back to doing Gluten Free!

How can they not be related? Honestly!!! Doctors stink.

Now if I could just them to check my vitamin levels as well.

They won't do it!

Jen, that is exciting news! And it doesn't surprise me a bit.

If your doctor won't check your vitamin and mineral levels, it may be time to find yourself a new doctor.

In the meantime, take a good prenatal vitamin that has folic acid in it.

I recently went to my doctor and had them order blood test to check my levels, but then I didn't exactly "ask" I told... there is a difference

Take charge of your health its your life and your money they are using to play gold at the country club if they dont want to do what you want time to send a different doctor to play golf!

hi there i'm going through something very similar, i had problems getting pregnant 6 years ago the said it was just unexplained infertility i had no scans etc and they put me on clomid and luckily i fell pregnant 1st time.

My daughter whos 4 has been diagnosed with coeliac for 3 years, me and my husband have never been tested for it don't know why.

Well we have started trying again for another baby for the first 6 months onour own then my G.P put me back on clomid for 6 months with no joy.

They now think i have poly cystic ovaries but as before now follow up no scan etc just guessing they have put me on Metformin and have been on them for 4 months know.

After internet search etc and coeliac uk help, coeliac cans cause unexplained fertility, so approched my G.p today and after demanding a coeliac test (they did'nt even know it causes infertility) so have to wait 1 week for results, so hopefully there will be good news.

I think it pays to demand things from gp's if you think you might be right.

I have a similar story. I went gluten-free at the end of January, just based on a hunch, and I found out last weekend that I'm pregnant after two years of trying! This is very fast. Could that be it?

My celiac blood panel was negative but I have one of the two genes. It could be a coincidence, but I doubt it. I can't know for sure because since I'm pregnant they can't do an endoscopy. My sister said she had heard of someone getting diagnosed via MRI. Has anyone heard of this?

I have a similar story. I went gluten-free at the end of January, just based on a hunch, and I found out last weekend that I'm pregnant after two years of trying! This is very fast. Could that be it?

My celiac blood panel was negative but I have one of the two genes. It could be a coincidence, but I doubt it. I can't know for sure because since I'm pregnant they can't do an endoscopy. My sister said she had heard of someone getting diagnosed via MRI. Has anyone heard of this?

Hi,

I have never had any gastro intestinal problems but my husband and I have been TTC for 11months now without any luck (I'm 36). We've both been tested for many things and everything is normal so I've been told it is "unxplained" infertility by my OBGYN. I recently heard of someone who struggled with unexplained iinfertility for 3 years saw a naturopath and went glutten free-3 months later she was pregnant. I know I am not gluten intolerant but maybe I am gluten sensitive? I am low iron even with supplements and I have low blood sugar though it tests normal but I go to the dark side if I don't eat often. My naturopath is teaching me how to balance my blood sugar. I am staring a gluten free diet now hoping this is the answer. I'm starting my third cycle of clomid but no luck so far.

I wonder if my urinary tract infections could be linked to this? Low iron, itchy skin, brain fog, blood sugar sensitivities? Unexplained infertility? Am I reaching?

I am literally crying while reading this. I had tried 3yrs to get pregnant with one misscarrage and finally gave up. About a week ago I realised that its all gluten related! I am so angry and sad but VERY hopeful. Im currently not trying but this makes me think after I heal some more I may just try again! Thank you!

Congrats on being pregnant. I am also in a similar situation. I went gluten free about a month ago because of GI issues. My gastro actually suggested it though. I also have been trying for 2 1/2 years to get pregnant with no luck. Maybe this month will be my lucky one! I am going through all those wonderful shots. I am hoping it works, I feel so much better after going gluten free it has to help. Or so I keep telling myself!!!

Wow, our stories are very similar also.....

My husband and I have been trying for 2.5 yrs and nothing. I had the tests, procedures, pills and everything else under the sun and still nothing. I was diagnosed as a Celiac 3 months ago (endoscopy) and have been gluten-free. We are still trying and i'm feeling much much better. I was trying not to get my hopes too high, but i honestly keep telling myself it is going to happen, much like you. I've had cysts before and know those pains. This week, i started to feel them again, went back to my doctor and had an US done. She actually had good news.....I was ovulating and not only that I had 3 follicles on my one ovary that looked good.....you know the rest of the story.

So i'm very excited to see what happens in a few weeks with my menstrual cycle or hopefully, lack thereof. Now my hopes are a little higher. I wonder however if i'm crazy and this is a little too soon for my body to be healed or if things could truly change that quickly.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Wow - it's amazing what a diet change will do. I had been trying for two years to have a baby and thought nothing was happening due to the birth control I started on three years ago. Stopped that after feeling side effects :angry: !! Not knowing anything about the gluten/fertility connection, I went gluten free to lose weight and feel better (and boy did I!) Three months later!! Surprise - I was pregnant (thank you, Lord!) I was totally not expecting it!

I definitely feel there is a link. I am now trying to convince my fully in-love-with gluten sister who has been trying five years to have a baby. She is a total nonbeliever. She even just had a miscarriage (a first step in the long process doctors put you through to conceive), so she's pretty distraught. What a huge change to your diet - but so worth it!!

Congratulations on your joyful news! That must make it so worth it that you persisted.

Regarding vitamin testing, why not go to a nutritionist? With all your symptoms I would think your insurance would cover food allergy and vit. deficiency testing, and especially now that you're pregnant you can justify making sure all bases are covered. In meantime I'm betting you're started taking multiples w/folic acid.