This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Oh God...now Alcohol?

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

I've posted here a few times indicating my frustrations with my diet and lifestyle and now it looks like the saga continues. In addition to having to avoid gluten, dairy, eggs, soy and about 30 other foods I can now add alcohol to the list. I'm not an alcoholic, but nothing is more enjoyable then going out on the town and having a few drinks with my friends or having a glass of wine with a woman in a romantic atmosphere. I few months ago i said to myself there is so much i cant eat, but thank God I can at least have a drink every once and a while. Well, this has been shattered to bits like everything else in my life.

About a year ago I noticed that the day after i would have any type of alcohol I would experience a heavy sensation in my chest. didnt think anything of it. Now after i have a drink i get that heaviness only its much more pronounced, i experience heart palpitations and have difficulty sleeping cause i feel anxious and i also feel like my legs and feet are swollen.

I mean whats the deal here? It's clear that someone or something just doesnt want me to enjoy my life. I have had to sacrifice so much these past few years and even after taking all the appropriate steps to take control of my health, the hits just keep coming. I don't know what i'm going to do with myself anymore....how the hell am i supposed to enjoy life if everything that gives me pleasure has been taken away from me?

Sorry for the self pity rant but i just feel like total crap. Also being out of work for 8 months and just breaking up with my girlfriend hasnt helped matters. Part of what destroyed my relationship was that i havent been easy to deal with cause of all my food issues....i hate going out to restaurants, whenever i cook at home i make the same crap over and over again and it was irritating her cause she wanted to be wined and dined. last week one of her guy friends took her out and she was rubbing the meal she had in my face to be obnoxious. what am i supposed to do? i just met another girl i like a lot and once she finds out about all my food problems (and now alcohol) shes gonna jump ship.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

oceangirl Collaborator

Jason,

Sorry you're having a rough time. Can you elaborate on what types of alcohol cause this reaction? Some here react to all grain alcohols and, while I've been a "wine with dinner" girl from way back, I just found out many wines are aged in barrels SEALED WITH FLOUR PASTE??!!!!! Anyway, looking for some un-oaked wines now.

Not to sound harsh, but if your girlfriend can't stick with you through this hard time maybe it's not meant to be? I know what you mean about not eating out and eating the same foods over and over- I did that for a year and a half. Now I find I can expand my diet some. (Still afraid to eat out.) Do you like to dance? Your girlfriend? Could you have the night out and go dancing instead of dinner?

Anyway, curious which alcohols you react to...

Sending healing energy your way...

lisa

ElseB Contributor

Relationships are definitely difficult with this disease. I never realized how intertwined food was with social life until I was diagnosed. I met a guy several months ago, he patiently waited for me as I kept cancelling our first date over and over again because I was too sick (from other things, not celiac). He's still around, but who knows for how long.

I'm terrified to eat at restaurants, and while sometimes I offer to cook for us, most of the time I'm too tired to make that effort. Not to mention I can't afford to always be shopping for two people, and I get resentful of having to cook for him (since he can't cook).

Sorry, I know you're looking for advice. But I felt the need to feel sorry for myself and vent.

jasonD2 Experienced

I find that its all alcohol - woodchuck cider, gluten free beer, wine and the hard stuff. also i dont have celiacs, but was diagnosed with a slightly elevated anti-gliading Ab so decided to lay off the gluten

tarnalberry Community Regular

some people also react to the sulfites in wine and find they do better with organic wine.

in cases like this, though, it gets tough to adapt around - one thing after another, and you just wonder when it stops. but there's nothing to do but keep doing it. in a case like this, I might suggest looking for pleasures in life outside of the food realm. playing board games with friends, going for a hike with a girlfriend, and finding new hobbies that don't involve food can help take the place of those old pesky food situations. (of course, getting involved in cooking and learning that as a new hobby to expand your horizons there is an option, but it sounds like it may be a very frustrating one.)

jasonD2 Experienced

LOL i hate board games and card games with a passion- as for other activities, its hard cause everything revolves around food

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, I never touch alcohol so I can't suggest anything there (don't know what people like about it either). But I do know that apple cider gets really...how should I say...strong, if allowed to sit in the fridge too long. Maybe that would approximate something you like in the drink category.

Anyway, I agree with the notion given by the other poster that food needn't have such emphasis. But heck, with all I've had to give up food-wise, I still enjoy much more variety than I ever did before going gluten-free.

I'm reminded of that saying: Eat to live, not live to eat.

And yeah, your true friend stick with you. The rest are just tourists along the highway of life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loco-ladi Contributor

Yeah pretty much most times "life stinks" but you also have to look at it from other viewpoints....

Each of us has our thing happen to us, with us its celiac disease, GI and/or other food issues...

but think of what we are not dealing with.....

A friend of mine recently got out of a truly horrible marriage only to find out he has terminal cancer. For the last 4-5 years he assumed the "headaches" were caused by his marital problems, sadly he was wrong.

Life is not about being able to eat this or that, or drink this or that, life is about making the best we can out of what we have.... rich or poor, tall or short, heavy or not, gluten or not..... if your friends or loved ones cant deal with how you need to live your life they aren't much of a friend are they?

tarnalberry Community Regular
LOL i hate board games and card games with a passion- as for other activities, its hard cause everything revolves around food

there are lots of things to do that don't revolve around food - and it's that we're accustomed to things revolving around food that makes it so hard. that's one of the reasons why actively developing new interests that take socialization *outside* of food help. yesterday, I spent five hours with friends snowshoeing - you take your own food to that. same thing on a regular hike or backpacking trip. on wednesday, I went skiing with my husband (at night) - no need for food there. last week, I went into a nearby city and took some pictures with a couple friends, just for fun - again, no need for food. a couple weeks ago, I went to an early movie screening with a friend - no food. girlfriends have come over for craft night and we don't do anything particular for food (eat ahead of time). the bookclub I've gone to offers appetizers, but usually it's just tea. the dance lessons my brother-in-law goes to doesn't have anything to do with food, nor do the yoga classes I go to, and sometimes attend with friends.

the point is to be creative. we don't spend 16 hours a day eating, so there's lots of room for finding things to do, with friends, family, and loved ones, that doesn't involve food. we're used to food being all over the place, so it might mean getting creative and breaking a bad habit, but you can do it.

and for those times you're in situations that involve food, with time, you *can* shift your own mental focus, and enjoy the company, and ignore the food. it *is* possible, though it takes time and practice, just like any other learned skill.

YoloGx Rookie
there are lots of things to do that don't revolve around food - and it's that we're accustomed to things revolving around food that makes it so hard. that's one of the reasons why actively developing new interests that take socialization *outside* of food help. yesterday, I spent five hours with friends snowshoeing - you take your own food to that. same thing on a regular hike or backpacking trip. on wednesday, I went skiing with my husband (at night) - no need for food there. last week, I went into a nearby city and took some pictures with a couple friends, just for fun - again, no need for food. a couple weeks ago, I went to an early movie screening with a friend - no food. girlfriends have come over for craft night and we don't do anything particular for food (eat ahead of time). the bookclub I've gone to offers appetizers, but usually it's just tea. the dance lessons my brother-in-law goes to doesn't have anything to do with food, nor do the yoga classes I go to, and sometimes attend with friends.

the point is to be creative. we don't spend 16 hours a day eating, so there's lots of room for finding things to do, with friends, family, and loved ones, that doesn't involve food. we're used to food being all over the place, so it might mean getting creative and breaking a bad habit, but you can do it.

and for those times you're in situations that involve food, with time, you *can* shift your own mental focus, and enjoy the company, and ignore the food. it *is* possible, though it takes time and practice, just like any other learned skill.

Hi, I have my own horror story though I am taking it more humorously than with horror. My recent boyfriend loves to drink his whiskey on the weekends--and glory be I would always get sick the next day after kissing him etc. I finally put two and two together and asked him to brush his teeth before kissing me--however he couldn't be bothered. We have known each other a long time and still are friends but the whole health thing has just been too different. This was just the last straw. Like he says better now than later. Finally he is accepting this and so am I.

By the way--years ago I used to make wine. Stopped due to kidney problems however one could easily make good wines. Even rice wine for instance if you want something with ore punch that is more like a grain alcohol. It doesn't take that long to make. Just invest in a crock and let it cure 3 months. Flower and berry wines are also fantastic. Might be a nice hobby for those that don't have candida overgrowth etc. Dates might like it too. Just need to use a gluten free piece of bread to float the yeast rather than the traditional gluten bread. But hey that's easy.

CarlaB Enthusiast

A complete intolerance to alcohol along with food sensitivities is often indicative of Lyme Disease. Please check out this thread and see if it applies to you. I am betting you will relate to many of the symptoms on the list. Open Original Shared Link

jasonD2 Experienced

thank ya- don't have lyme disease- just diagnosed with leaky gut, ibs and food sensitivities

CarlaB Enthusiast

How do you know you don't have it? Testing is inaccurate and doctors don't want to diagnose it.

I had all three of those things as a result of Lyme .... once I got rid of the Lyme the other symptoms went away.

Check out the symptom list .... I've never seen another illness cause alcohol sensitivity like you describe.

jasonD2 Experienced

cause all my symptoms started after I had a bad case of viral gastroenteritis - i never had a tick bite and never had skin problems (no rashes) - this is more an issue of intestinal fortitude and rebuilding it

CarlaB Enthusiast

I understand. I never had the rash either. Over half the people with Lyme never remember a tick bite. You may not have it, of course, but the reasons you give are not evidence you do not. Again, the alcohol intolerance is what makes me highly suspicious.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Jason,

This is just from my experience...I was diagnosed with Celiac and have several other food intolerances--surely due to leaky gut from years of being undiagnosed.

For several years before I was diagnosed and for quite a bit of time after, I could not tolerate alcohol, either. I had very similar symptoms to yours.

I've been gluten-free for about 2 and a half years, and this holiday season, I was able to have wine again without a problem.

I think what worked for me was staying strictly away from my problem foods (including alcohol) for the 2 years, letting my system heal. I think the time needed for this varies depending on the situation.

Cinnamon Apprentice

Maybe something like Slippery Elm Bark would help. It's supposed to coat and protect the intestinal tract with mucus. I know, mucus sounds gross, but mucus is a good thing. It might help seal up the spaces with the leaky gut. I just got some to try with my kids. So far, so good. Marshmallow Root is also supposed to do the same thing, I think, but when we tried it, it made everyone break out into a rash.

You can find this stuff in any health food store.

Lisa16 Collaborator

Hi Jason.

I get this kind of reaction from wine because of the sulfites-- swollen joints, racing heart, plus a giant raised hot red rash from head to toe. Gorgeous! And sad. I lived in Spain for years and grew to love certain types of wine. Now I do not (read cannot) drink at all. It sounds like you have another allergy to add to the set. Maybe a couple more. It is not the end of the world by any means. In fact, it is a fresh start. There are many other pleasures out there.

I want to tell you somethings that might help you get some perspective, in the spirit of helping.

Girlfriends will come and go. One day you will find somebody who will love just you as you are-- food allergies and pain and fear and all. Do not sweat it-- it will happen when it is the right time for you. I know it sounds trite, but it really does work that way. Believe me.

There are lots of things nobody can control-- like allergies and girlfriends.

In the meantime you can do a lot about the way you look at this and help yourself heal from the emotional toll as well. Think of it as an opportunity, not as a curse. Start thinking about all of the wonderful things you can eat instead of what you cannot. Start making yourself wonderful new and delicious things-- enviable things. Try to make a little Thai food! Do a PR job on yourself and before you know it, the universe will swing around in your favor. Good things will come to you if you let them in.

All of the people on this site have had the same kind of pain you are talking about in one way or another. If you observe carefully, you will see that there are people who say, "okay--I have this. I accept that. Now how can I live to the fullest?" And then there are people who get stuck in it and can't get out.

I sincerely hope that one day I will see a post from you on this site where you tell your story and can give it a happy ending. But it will be a happy ending that you created for yourself.

Good luck Jason! I hope you triumph.

Lisa

• 1 year later...
sonear Newbie

Hi Jason,

Have you tried supplementing B-12? See this: Open Original Shared Link

I found your post because I was experiencing same symptoms in response to alcohol, plus insomnia. The symptoms went away for a couple months and then came back. I finally figured out that the difference was I had run out of a B-12 supplement I had been taking. So I bought some this morning and took one (1000 mcg, Jarrow brand Methyl B-12 lozenges)...and I felt better almost immediately. When I got home, I did some research and the link between celiac and B-12 deficiency is very strong. Symptoms include those you mention. Can't hurt. I have also found l-tyrosine to be incredibly helpful for anxiety and depression (it increases availablility of dopamine similarly to the way l-tryptophan or 5HTP increases seratonin). I know they are just vitamins and amino acids, but their affect on me is really dramatic. I hope this works for you.

Salud!

Clark

Archived