Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlourShopGirl

Fast Food Solutions?!

A couple times with my husband I've been out, it's late and I am hungry. The usual chicken sandwich from Burger King can't do anymore, so where do you eat? I feel very helpless eating out besides big chains like Unos, Outback, etc. I just don't want to drop $15 on lunch but I want the option of eating out. We went into Chipole's and I asked about the gluten-free and the guy laughed in the back and gave a face like "what the heck is that?".

Any suggestions?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Wendy's has some decent gluten-free options for quick & cheap

www.wendys.com/food/pdf/us/gluten_free_list.pdf

I believe their fries are gluten-free if they have a dedicated fryer for them . . . which varies from store to store so you must inquire.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Join eNewsletter

I don't eat out anywhere

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

Gone are the days(for us anyway) of grabbing a quick meal in between errands, appointments etc. We've learned to schedule/plan ahead for meals. It's taken my husband longer to get used to/accept it than me. I often bring a snack in my purse or in the car just in case and try to keep things in the freezer that I can warm up quickly for a meal if I get home and am overdue for a meal. Sometimes we'll grab a snack at Whole Foods or the healthfood store before or after shopping there.

Our only quick, cheap meal out is always an Indian restauraunt that has a buffet that is safe(believe it or not) and costs us $15 total for 2 adults and 1 kid with a coupon that frequently runs in a local publication. It's a rare gem I think.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I believe the protein burger at In N Out is gluten free (would double check but last I heard) and their fries. Carl's Jr their Low Carb 6 dollar burger is gluten free and their fries (if its a dedicated fryer).

Wendy's like Darn210 said has a lot of gluten free foods (posted on their website) Salads (minus some things i.e. croutons and tortilla strips), potato, chili etc. I get their potato with sour cream and put the chili in it (if at home add cheese) yumm.

There are a lot of fast food places where you can get the hamburgers without the bun. You just have to remember there can be CC issues b/c of all of the gluten food they are making and handling.

A lot of the sites I have looked at online over the past year they have an allergy section or are adding it to there site.

When my husband and I go out for a drive or out for the day I put snacks in my purse or car in case I get hungrey and can't eat anything nearby (he can eat gluten).

GOOD LUCK. :)

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Join eNewsletter

I believe the protein burger at In N Out is gluten free (would double check but last I heard) and their fries. Carl's Jr their Low Carb 6 dollar burger is gluten free and their fries (if its a dedicated fryer).

Wendy's like Darn210 said has a lot of gluten free foods (posted on their website) Salads (minus some things i.e. croutons and tortilla strips), potato, chili etc. I get their potato with sour cream and put the chili in it (if at home add cheese) yumm.

There are a lot of fast food places where you can get the hamburgers without the bun. You just have to remember there can be CC issues b/c of all of the gluten food they are making and handling.

A lot of the sites I have looked at online over the past year they have an allergy section or are adding it to there site.

When my husband and I go out for a drive or out for the day I put snacks in my purse or car in case I get hungrey and can't eat anything nearby (he can eat gluten).

GOOD LUCK. :)

I use a cold pack with blue ice and thermos. I am learning even getting tea can be dicey if they make a sandwich beforehand and don't wash their hands. Its quite dicey. Am learning from another post however that if you ask you might find some places that are gluten free. Apparently the issue is becoming more known, and by asking it becomes even more so. Its nice to know not everyone thinks we are a bunch of hypochondriacs.

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Join eNewsletter

A couple times with my husband I've been out, it's late and I am hungry. The usual chicken sandwich from Burger King can't do anymore, so where do you eat? I feel very helpless eating out besides big chains like Unos, Outback, etc. I just don't want to drop $15 on lunch but I want the option of eating out. We went into Chipole's and I asked about the gluten-free and the guy laughed in the back and gave a face like "what the heck is that?".

Any suggestions?

I don't eat out very much and I do the same thing as others say here - like Lara bars in my purse, almonds in the glove compartment etc.

But Chipotle's has been good for me. I've researched them here on the Restaurant forum and called them. I have a burrito bowl with rice, salsa, grilled onions and peppers plus beef or pork. Then I ask them to change their gloves before putting cheese on (because they touch wheat tortillas with their hands). You could skip the cheese, as it is possible that some wheat crumbs from the tortillas that they serve to other people could get in the cheese. The workers where I am (Seattle) mostly speak Spanish and I just pantomime removing gloves if they can't understand. Someone here posted the Spanish phrase for "Please change your gloves" but I get too tongue-tied to say it.

Other than PF Changs and a baked potato at Wendy's I don't do other fast food. I've heard that Wendy's chili is gluten free but haven't tried it.

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

It's all in the planning. Do your research ahead of time of all of the "convenient" food sources in your area. You'll have more options when the situation for an unplanned meal arises. Nothing is worth getting sick, IMO.

Wendy's sounds great now, I often just got the Chili & Potato before. I carry gluten-free bars in my purse but when I want cheaper food options, I've been stumped. My husband's been amazing with all of this for me. He'll wait until we find somewhere for both of us however, when you are stuck paying $11+ for just one person, it's been goofy.

I appreciate all the suggestions!

Join eNewsletter

I have a baked potato and chili from Wendy's. Choices are very very limited. I'm gluten and dairy free which further limits. I do like the laura bars or almonds. I keep a can of almonds in each vehicle.

Join eNewsletter

http://www.Lame Advertisement.com/ProductsList.aspx?c=1&cid=135

I was never much of a 'fast food' eater to begin with. More of a 'quick food' eater on the go. I have always enjoyed nutrition bars, but have since found out one's that I thought were 'healthy' for me..are not so now.

The one's I listed above are really good. The cherry is really good. So good for such very few basic ingredients. I have also found them via single bars at different grocery stores.

I am always looking for something as healthy as can be that is quick and yummy.

I'm lucky that a nutrition bar can be good enough for me along with a bottle of water. These are very filling, basic and healthy.

I can't be much help as far as real fast food when out because I never did that to begin with, but I just wanted to throw the above bars into the mix as a quick bar to carry around.

Join eNewsletter

Guest digmom1014

I have had luck ordering a Big and Tasty sans bun at Mickey D's with fries. I also have had a cheeseburger w/o bun at Burger King with no problem but, I have only been on the gluten-free lifestyle for a little over a month so, I may not be as sensitive to CC as others.

I have found if I stick to a salad with oil/vinegar, I'm okay.

Join eNewsletter

Guest digmom1014

I have had luck ordering a Big and Tasty sans bun at Mickey D's with fries. I also have had a cheeseburger w/o bun at Burger King with no problem but, I have only been on the gluten-free lifestyle for a little over a month so, I may not be as sensitive to CC as others.

I have found if I stick to a salad with oil/vinegar, I'm okay.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter