Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sugar

Natural Flavorings

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi. Does anyone know if "natural flavorings" sometimes contain gluten? What about on a spaghetti sauce ingredients list?

Thanks.

Yes, Natural Flavorings can contain gluten. Most likely, gluten in the form or barley, malt or rye. If wheat is used it must be labeled by law.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

"Natural Flavorings" is pretty ambiguous and can mean just about anything . . .

That being said, there are lots of jarred spaghetti sauces that are OK. All the Classico red and white sauces are OK. Ragu will list any gluten so if it had gluten it would say something like 'natural flavoring(derived from barley)' or something like that. Somebody has probably already checked if you want to tell us which brand you are talking aout.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Join eNewsletter

Guest Lore

I agree with both! In my experience, "natural flavorings" is just a vague term- not specific enough to risk being glutened. Just get used to the habit of leaving it out if you aren't positive. There are plenty of substitutions :D

Join eNewsletter

There a number of mainstream companies and/or brands that have a policy of clearly disclosing gluten by always naming the grain in plain language. With these manufacturers, if you don't see wheat, barley, rye or oats by name on the label, then you do not need to worry even if you see a dubious item like natural flavor or modified food starch.

My current list follows. It does not list every single brand--it may include the parent company without having every brand they own.

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

With this list in hand, you can visit the grocery store and shop with confidence.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Thank you for the list Peter. That's great info.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Join eNewsletter

I would take Hershey's off that list, after multiple calls over Easter Candy they cannot tell us what is in their natural flavorings....

Thanks, I've edited it out and removed it from my copy of the list.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Join eNewsletter

Thank you all. I was wondering about the Western Family Traditional jarred spaghetti sauce, because I bought it in a hurry after only glancing at the ingredients. I've e-mailed the company, so hopefully I'll hear back from them. If not, it's not a big deal. I just won't use it and remember not buy unfamiliar products in a hurry again.

Join eNewsletter

It is my understanding that Western Family is owned by ConAgra and as such follows their gluten disclosure policy. We use Western Family products and trust the ingredient lists not to hide gluten.

Peter

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter