Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glutenfreefamily

I Made A Five Layer gluten-free, Sf, Df, Egg Free Cake And It Held Perfectly!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Congrats!! What was your egg substitute, and what flavor Namaste?

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks :) I used namaste chocolate cake mix and Energ egg replacer. I used three mixes (technically 2 1/2) for #3 10 inch by 2 inch layers and #2 6 inch by 2 inch layers.

Here's a pic, I'm definitely not a professional but I love making them for my daughter, niece and nephews.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/Autumn3402/cake.jpg

Join eNewsletter

Gorgeous cake!! Glad to hear that it worked so well for you!

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

Join eNewsletter

Wow, that's impressive! I have cousins with mulitple allergies (egg, nut, milk) plus I'm gluten, dairy and soy intolerant!! Usually we have sorbet cakes on birthdays, but I'll give this recipe a try!

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

Here's a pic, I'm definitely not a professional but I love making them for my daughter, niece and nephews.

Wow--that's beautiful! :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Thanks :) I used namaste chocolate cake mix and Energ egg replacer. I used three mixes (technically 2 1/2) for #3 10 inch by 2 inch layers and #2 6 inch by 2 inch layers.

You may not be a professional but you do have a special talent. Very impressive.

Join eNewsletter

That cake is beautiful! You did a GREAT job!! :D

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

Thank you very much :D

I started making them out of necessity for being dairy free than gluten free also and I found I really enjoy making them. I would love to take cake decorating classes but all the local classes use wheat flour. Im going to buy some books though to help hopefully and get more ideas.

Join eNewsletter

itchy- Thanks! I havent tried the gluten-free gingerbread houses yet but I know there are a few recipes on here. Wiltons sells a stand up house cake pan that you could frost and decorate with candies as an alternative. I want to try this cake also again as a haunted castle for halloween :) Here' s another cake made out of the same style I didnt make this one, this is from the cake website and its made out of gingerbread.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/Autu...dgcastle_sm.jpg

kbtoyssni- Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Wow, your cake looks amazing!! I would just be happy to find a cake recipe to work for Carleigh. Either it flops or she doesn't like it. <_< I will look for Namaste if it is safe.

Would you share your frosting recipe?

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Join eNewsletter

Cheri- I will post it tonight as I have to go start dinner. I think Namaste might have rice flour in it and I see rice is an allergy of your daughters, Im not positive it contains it though.

Can she have flax? If so I have a recipe to use that as an egg replacer. I havent used it yet but I have heard it works great.

To give more flavor to cakes I also add a few variations. Two of my daughters favorites is smuckers strawberry ice cream topping or any flavor jello. Strawberry pop tastes good on it too. I punch holes in the cake with the end of a wooden stick, usually 8 or 9 times in a 13x9 pan and pour it over it when its hot fresh out of the oven. It takes on the flavor of the additive.

Join eNewsletter

Congratulations, Sweetie! You must be so happy!!! :P

lovelove

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

Collette - thanks :)

Cheri- Sorry I didnt get a chance to post this last night, here's the recipe

Cake decorator frosting-

1 1/2 cup shortening (spectrum if your intolerant to soy)

1/2 tsp salt

4 tablespoons tapioca flour (makes it more stiff to hold its shape using decorator tips)

8 cups (2lbs) powdered sugar

1 1/2 tsp flavoring ( I use vanilla but I have used strawberry and colored it pink)

1/2 c warm water (may need more)

Beat all ingredients together.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks so much!! I will try the frosting too! She is fine with flax. I've used the Ener-G egg replacer occasionally. Usually I use the water/oil/baking powder sub though.

I will look at the Namaste mixes next time I to the co-op. :) The rice seems to be okay in small doses now. I have been giving her Tinkyada pasta once/week. I use a modified Carol Fenster blend with sorghum flour.

Mom of:

Join eNewsletter

Oh my gosh...I just about fell out of the chair when I clicked on your cake link! Wow, you have talent! B)

Personally, I am happy if my basic square cake turns out right...and all I avoid is gluten :rolleyes:

You have such talent! Congratulations on it turning out so wonderfully :)

-Julie

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

That's one very special cake! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy seeing other's creations. It gives me more hope and confidence. I love the Namaste cake mixes. They make alot so are a good value I think.

Just an idea for cake bakers out there: I recently tried a gluten-free/CF cupcake made by a local family business and they used fresh strawberry puree in the frosting. It made it a nice soft pink and tasted fabulous!

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Hey GFF, (sorry, I don't remember your name)

Did you know that Wilton is having a castle contest every month? I really think you should send your picture in that you posted. It is definitely every bit as beautiful as some of the past winners!! :D

Mom of:

Join eNewsletter

Julie- It took me a long time to get it how I like it. I did find with namaste the more thinner layers the better. The bigger cakes dont do as well unless I use the pads you wrap around the pans for more even cooking.

missys mom- The strawberry puree does sound good, thanks for the idea.

Cheri- Thanks, Im not as satisfied I would be to turn one in but maybe one day :) I look at it and see mistakes here and there and what I would change. The perfectionist in me is coming out :)

Join eNewsletter

OMGosh! Go look at those pictures!! Enter the contest!! I found another one for you to enter!! http://family.go.com/contests/cake-recipes/ :D

Not even in the same realm as your cakes, but the "Easter Bunny" brought chocolates for my daughter made from the Enjoy Life Chocolate chips. She loved them!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/one.../Picture073.jpg

Mom of:

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter