Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

erintigs

Organic Food Recommendations?

Hi Everyone,

I try to eat organic as much as possible, but most of my gluten-free food is not organic. Can anyone recommend good gluten-free organic food? I'm particularly interested in flours and bread/cake/dessert mixes, but would love to know about other things as well.

Thanks,

Erin

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I find that is a real problem as well. I just looked through my cupboards and could find barely anything that was labeled both gluten-free and organic, except for Food Merchants Brand precooked polenta (in the plastic tube sleeve). I have just compromised and figured as long as I could find gluten-free, dairy free and potato free foods (that last one makes it pretty difficult), I would have to sacrifice organic. Of course there are a lot of organic foods available that are naturally gluten free. But I am not having much luck with the flours or baked goods either.

Let's hope some folks put up some useful posts!

Join eNewsletter

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Maybe if manufacturers and farmers realize there is more of a demand, they'll start making more gluten-free organic foods.

Bob's Red Mill does have some organic gluten-free flours, but they're not the flours I use regularly. Here's the link, though:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten_free_info.php . Click on the link near the top for their list of gluten-free products.

Erin

Join eNewsletter

Some organic things I buy (off the top of my head)--

Once Again Organic Sunflower Seed Butter

Spectrum Organic Shortening

Mrs. Leeper's Rice Alphabet Pasta

Tinkyada Organic Brown Rice Pasta

Lundberg Farms Hot and Creamy Rice Cereal

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

For all sorts of flours, my first stop is always here:

www.barryfarm.com

Since I make all my food from scratch, I can't help you with mixes. I do wish I could get organic veggies at a decent price though.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

Pamela's has several organic cookie varieties

Amy's Salsas and Pasta/Marinara Sauces

Amy's Rice Crust Pizza

Amy's Canned Soups (many are gluten-free, but not all, read label)

Annie's Ketchup, Mustards, and Salad Dressings (read label on salad dressings)

Spectrum Mayonnaise

Maranatha Nut Butters

Organic Valley Dairy Products: http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/gluten-free-products/

Tropical Traditions: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_gluten_free.htm

Applegate Farms Chicken and Turkey Hot Dogs

Applegate Farms Deli Meats

Join eNewsletter

For all sorts of flours, my first stop is always here:

www.barryfarm.com

Since I make all my food from scratch, I can't help you with mixes. I do wish I could get organic veggies at a decent price though.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard of that site before. It looks like a lot of those flours are either organic or labeled gluten free. Have you tried, for example, the organic rice flour (which doesn't *say* it's gluten free)? If so, did you react to it?

Thanks,

Erin

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard of that site before. It looks like a lot of those flours are either organic or labeled gluten free. Have you tried, for example, the organic rice flour (which doesn't *say* it's gluten free)? If so, did you react to it?

Thanks,

Erin

I have never had a reaction (that I know of) to any of the flours from Barry Farm. I don't recall if I've tried their rice flours, as I found some time ago that rice flour, especially the brown, is gritty compared to all others I've tried. I'd recommend millet or sorghum in place of rice flour, even if it is labeled organic and gluten-free.

One pleasant surprise I found is that their bean flours don't smell or taste bad. Recently I found out that the reason Bob's Red Mill bean flours smell is that they are stone ground, which produces enough heat to break down the oils in the beans.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter