This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does This Happen To Anyone Else?

jvalentine89

jvalentine89 Rookie

I made non-gluten free brownies yesterday for a friend and ended up eating a few(yes, i know i will be paying for this). After this, i literally felt like i was in a coma. I've been so tired since then. Today i took a three-hour nap and felt completely unrefreshed afterwards. I couldn't even get myself to go to the gym because i feel so exhausted. Does anyone else feel robbed of all energy after they've been glutened?

p.s. when I am strictly following the gluten-free diet i really don't have much sleep problems/feelings of exhaustion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

Definetly an effect from glutening yourself!!!

I felt like that ALL the time when I was eating gluten!

Ursa Major Collaborator

Yep, definitely one of the most common celiac disease symptoms! I hope you will remember what you feel like when purposely glutening yourself, and won't do it again.

wowzer Community Regular

I would suggest just baking gluten free brownies next time. Breathing in the gluten from the flour or brownie mix flying is like eating it. I did make my husband a pecan pie, but used a ready made crust and wore gloves to put it in the pan. That is as far as I will go with gluten baking. I will say that my husband is slowly coming around and does try some of the things that I bake now. He will eat my gluten free cheese biscuits, gravy, blueberry muffins, peach cobbler, apple crisp, rice chex krispie treats, crustless cheesecake. I do hope that you feel better soon. I did put myself into misery making a boxed no bake cheesecake, so don't beat yourself up too bad. Chalk it up to experience.

MDRB Explorer

Yes Yes Yes

Definitely, fatigue is apparently one of the most common symptoms of celiac disease.

I had to go back onto gluten for a month to get the endoscopy and I barely got out of bed for those four weeks.

One of my biggest incentives to not eat gluten is that feeling I had and wanting to avoid it at all costs.

I hope you feel better soon :)

gfp Enthusiast
I would suggest just baking gluten free brownies next time. Breathing in the gluten from the flour or brownie mix flying is like eating it.

It is eating it! Everything we breath in over a certain size is filtered out before it gets to the lungs and directed to the stomach.

BIG. The big particles are between 2.5 and 10 micrometers (from about 25 to 100 times thinner than a human hair). These particles are called PM10 (we say "P M ten", which stands for Particulate Matter up to 10 micrometers in size). These particles cause less severe health effects.

SMALL. The small particles are smaller than 2.5 micrometers (100 times thinner than a human hair). These particles are called PM2.5 (we say "P M two point five", as in Particulate Matter up to 2.5 micrometers in size).

Open Original Shared Link

Well, not for us. PM10 means its redirected to the stomach ... (There is a name for the process i can dig up if you like)... essentially we have tiny hairlike things inour respitory tract and anything larger than very very tiny is moved by these into the back of the nasal passage ... we then get a need to swallow and its put into the stomach.

• 2 weeks later...
Ashley Enthusiast

Wish I could eat three non-gluten brownies. If I did, I'd be in the ER :blink:

Anyway, that is a major sign for me when I get glutened. I cannot sleep at all.

Take care---and make sure you don't gluten yourself anymore :( I know its hard but you're harming yourself for an emotional need. I always try to find something super good at the store and hide it for when I get a strong craving for gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ThatlldoGyp Rookie

Yes, that symptom is what had them checking my thyroid for years. ( I have a rant that goes with that comment,but I'll stick to the subject for now, lol).

Seriously, you should not be tempting yourself like that, and now you have glutened your pans as well! What were you thinking?

Next time you want to make something for a friend, think fresh fruit salad with Grand Marnier, gluten-free chocolate fondue with gluten-free things to dunk in it (strawberries, bananas, etc) or something like that instead! You can still enjoy things, just don't sacrifice your health for it... it is really,really not worth it.

48lowesracer Newbie

Any time I have gluten, I immediately feel sleepy as if I just ate a large Thanksgiving dinner! The more gluten I eat, the worse the feeling is. I used to wonder why I would catch myself falling asleep ALL the time, and since self-diagnosis, I know why.

purple Community Regular

Go to kill.the.gluten for the best g f brownie recipe ever! They of course are not good for you but you deserve a treat. Follow the recipe exactly and ENJOY!! YUMMY!!!

Di-gfree Apprentice

I just have to say I'm stunned that anyone with celiac would purposely eat gluten. It's not meant as a criticism because it's completely your business, but I can't help but be surprised. But I know it's tough - I can't seem to give up gluten-free cookies, eventhough I probably should.

• 1 month later...
nikiann Newbie
I made non-gluten free brownies yesterday for a friend and ended up eating a few(yes, i know i will be paying for this). After this, i literally felt like i was in a coma. I've been so tired since then. Today i took a three-hour nap and felt completely unrefreshed afterwards. I couldn't even get myself to go to the gym because i feel so exhausted. Does anyone else feel robbed of all energy after they've been glutened?

p.s. when I am strictly following the gluten-free diet i really don't have much sleep problems/feelings of exhaustion.

I am new to this and trying to find anwswers myself, but I currently still have gluten in my diet and lterally am exhausted all of the time. I will take a 2 hour nap and still be miserable afterwards.. I also have a hard time falling asleep at night, normally about an hour. But during the day i can pass out at anytime.. sometimes I have to struggle to keep my eyes open.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Ah...the post meal "coma". I hated those.

• 4 weeks later...
geokozmo Rookie

Me too I get sleepy and depressed aftere ating gluten so I try to avoid it. But for decades I was medicated against manic depressive disorder. It is so good that this diet exists, otherwise I wd have to accept that I am very sick. This diet is not a sickness it is a way to recovery. Big difference. :rolleyes:

spunky Contributor

Next time try Trader Joe's gluten free brownie mix...

Easy to make and they are the best brownies we ever had, ever! Your guests won't even have to know they're gluten free... unless you tell 'em... then, whether they can eat gluten or not, I betcha they'll run out to Trader Joe's and buy a package for themselves.

ericajones80 Newbie
Next time try Trader Joe's gluten free brownie mix...

Easy to make and they are the best brownies we ever had, ever! Your guests won't even have to know they're gluten free... unless you tell 'em... then, whether they can eat gluten or not, I betcha they'll run out to Trader Joe's and buy a package for themselves.

I agree, they're delicious!

• 2 weeks later...
celiacsista Newbie

Oh my! Eating gluten on purpose is crazy! I mean that nicely. It is very hard to give up the things you used to love. I just hate the way I feel after an accidental glutening. A very good gluten-free brownie mix is "Pamela's" I have served it to gluten friends and they didn't notice. That is always the true test.

Hope you feel better soon. Remember how awful you feel, that is how I got over wanting gluten treats.

Archived