Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShayFL

New To This And Hungry All Of The Time!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for being here. :)

Brief rundown on me: 39, 5'3, 118 lbs, Dx Hypothyroid 2 years ago - no antibodies (on Armour), Possible Menier's without hearing loss, Low Vit D - on supplements, B12 was low but is now normal, Low Ferritin - still working on it, Genetic tests show Double Genes - hey I am an overachiever. ;)

I am new to gluten-free. I am on week 4 with no change in my symptoms (neurological - ataxia, Vertiog, PN, Migraine) with the exceptions: I did get my regular mid-cycle migraine but it lasted only 24 hours instead of 48 and it was a 7 on a scale of 10 instead of a 10. And my BM's are down to 2 a day instead of 6. I understand the nerves can take time to heal. So I must be patient.

I am a healthy eater and have been for 12 years. All whole foods with very rarely baked goods made from whole grains. No sugar. Lots of Fruits, Veggies, Lean Meats, Eggs, Sm. amount of beans, Nuts & Seeds mostly raw/sprouted, Brow Rice, Quinoa, Fish. This is my basic diet only now I dont eat whole wheat or any other gluten foods. Im on ALL Gluten free cosmetics, hair and body care including my chapstick. :)

I just got a brand new kitchen that will be 100% gluten-free. All new pots and pans, cooking utensils, blender, grinder....the works!! Not eating out. There will be no cross-contamination if I can help it. Family has agreed to ZERO gluten in the house. I am very lucky!

Now, here is my problem. It was no big deal for me to drop wheat and gluten products. I just added chia, flax, hemp seeds to replace the fiber. BUT this new diet is keeping me STARVING all of the time. I eat and 1 - 2 hours later I am hungry again. I woke up last night at 2 and 5 a.m. with a gnawing stomach. I ate at 2, but refused at 5 and laid there while I ached.

Is this normal? Will it pass soon?

I believe I am eating less calories, so I have upped my nuts a bit to make up for it. I am thin IMO. But have already lost 3 pounds so far. I look gaunt. :(

Typical daily menu for me:

Breakfast: Fruit Smoothie with homemade almond milk, peaches, hemp protein powder, stevia

Green Drink

Snack: Nuts/Fruit or leftover meat/veggies

Lunch: Stir fry meat/veggies, salad with homemade dressing, brown rice

Green Drink

Snack: Seed pate with veggies

Dinner: Grilled Salmon, Salad, Fruit

Any suggestions on how not to be sooooo hungry or explaination as to why.

Shay

BTW - I am also Dairy Free, Corn Free, Soy Free, Nightshade Free, Peanut Free

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The first 3 weeks I think it was when I went completely gluten free I was hungry ALL the time. I thought something was the problem. I would eat a meal and still be hungry or be hungry little while later where I was normally full.

Things have gotten back to normal though with the hunger.

My husband (who eats gluten) made an account at www.fitday.com for free and you enter all your food nutrition lables on it and serving size for that item. He has done really good on it. I didn't do it b/c I didn't know how I would figure some of the stuff out b/c of baking certain foods and stuff. But he has had luck with it.

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Thank you Rebecca. :) That is comforting to know someone else has had a similar reaction. I added a 1/2 cup more rice with lunch and that seemed to help a bit, so I ate a little more carb at dinner too.

I hope I dont lose anymore weight.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Your body is probably trying to make up for what it hasn't been absorbing of vitamins and nutrients, plus now that you're not getting gluten any more, your body can start healing, which takes energy. At least that's my explanation for this phenomenon. You're certainly not the only one, I've seen lots of people mention being hungry all the time when they started the diet. I was too for the first couple of months. What helped me was just eating a bit more often than I used to, I'd eat every two hours basically. And I tried to always include some protein in my meals to even out the effect on my blood sugar.

Pauliina

I was hungry for about a month. I could out eat athletes. It was terrible how hungry I was, but I got over it. Now I feel normal hungry. My mom was hungry for about 2 months after going gluten-free, We just ate more and we definitely didn't lose weight. We packed it on... <_<

Thanks Paulina!

I thought about that too with regard to eating more often. Right now I am on an every 3 hour schedule. Basically 7, 10, 1, 4, and 7. I could try every 2 to see if that helps.

Before, I used to not care about eating. When I initially went gluten free, at first, I was very hungry. I'd eat 3 eggs with a bunch of rice, mushrooms and onions for breakfast. When I was done, I was still sort of hungry. I'm only 5'2" and about 102 lbs. I figured that I needed the nutrients that I wasn't able to get before, perhaps. Now I don't get all that hungry. I've been gluten free for about 3 months, now but had a gluten-free trial period 3 months before that for about a month. I'd listen to your body. Give it what it needs. It won't last forever.

My son was diagnosed in Dec. He ate like crazy for a month or two. He still eats quite a bit, but those first weeks were crazy! I'd make an omlette, fruit, and pancakes for breakfast, pack this huge bulging lunch box, give him a snack after school, a huge dinner and snack before bed! Someone told me it was the "making up for lost time" period. I believe it!

One thing we've really become more aware of through this is listening to your body. If you're hungry...eat. If you're craving something...eat it. If something makes you turn up your nose...avoid it. Someone had a post on here about foods people crave. I thought it was really interesting how so many Celiacs craved the same foods. My son used to pick the breading off chicken nuggets and popcorn shrimp. He didn't really like cookies all that much. And it took me years to get him to eat sandwiches. All of this was pre-Celiac diagnosis of course. I truly believe his body knew more than we did!

Happy eating!

I actually had that horrid, gnawing hunger that woke me in the night as one of my symptoms before going gluten free, and for about a year afterward. I'm 5'7" and was down to 105 lbs when I learned I had a wheat problem, it took me a while longer to figure out it was actually Celiac, so now I'm up to 145. I now only get hungry when my stomach is actually empty. I used to still be hungry after eating a huge plate of macaroni&cheese or something equally filling.

I recommend taking extra Vit B even if you don't think you need it, and eat more meat, even if you think it's bad for you. You need the iron and protein and fat especially, you'll need a lot of dietary fat to repair your digestive tract, but especially for your neurological symptoms. Your brain represents about 2 % of your body weight, but has 20% of your bodily cholesterol. You need fat right now. The sprouted grains and nuts are also really good!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

I get hungry when I haven't had enough protein and too much carbs. Carbs give you a quick pick up but then leave you in a slump. Protein and fats balance the blood sugar and help to keep the worms away!

I have a theory that somehow the gluten blocks the body's normal responses. There may also be issues with Candida or other gut bacterial overgrowth. The bacteria makes you crave the foods it feeds on, namely carbs and sugar. As soon as you cut down on those foods it starts clamouring for more. Plus they are also competing with the 'gluten' receptors - you know like the cravings people get when they stop smoking. Apparently the gluten acts like an opioid in the brain so what you are most likely to be experiencing is withdrawal.

It will pass. Just be determined to get the better of it and hang on in there! Pretty much most of us have gone through it!

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

Thank you so much everyone for responding!!

I am doing better the last two days....not as hungry and sleeping through the night again. yippee!!

I have upped my fat intake and I think that is helping. I am down another pound. :( But hoping it will level off soon. Im definately NOT counting fat grams.....LOL

It's funny....I dont crave carbs anymore. I did years ago. But when I cut out refined foods and sugar, those carb cravings went away. And I am lucky that I DO NOT have candida. I have an EXCELLENT Doctor here in Florida and she has tested me every which way and I have come up NEG for candida with stool/blood and saliva.

Here is what I have noticed too that is POSITIVE with a gluten-free diet:

My period is due today/tomorrow. And normally the few days before....I am exhausted. But not this time. I actually have some energy! Im cleaning my house and doing the laundry. Wouldnt have managed that last cycle.

And so far no migraine....fingers crossed.....triple crossed. :)

My skin also looks better to me. More pink and alive. And I noticed yesterday at the grocery store more men checking me out. I have not noticed that in at least 2 years.....LOL It is either that I look better or that I feel better and am noticing this. Or maybe I am smiling more and people are responding. Ill take it!!

Im only on week 5, but VERY hopeful!

For those with Celiac: http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...nts/A02-FAQ.htm

Q: I feel hungry all the time. Is that normal?

Yes, it is very common. Your body is making up for the time it wasn't fully absorbing foods. Hunger levels tend to normalize within the first months after eliminating gluten and beginning a well balanced diet of gluten-free foods.

I guess I took a different path because I got so sick before I was diagnosed that I didn't eat for several days. After 3 weeks of the doctor trying to figure it out, I actually learned not to be hungry (because of the pain). I actually had to learn to eat these last few weeks because I was so scared. However, being scared did not stop the cravings. I would have eaten through a desk if I knew it wasn't going to hurt. However, after about a week, I am am able to go back to food. I lost 11 pounds in 3 weeks, so maybe I should write a book!

A Good Friend can keep a secret. A Best Friend will help you bury the bodies.

Some time after going gluten-free, I started feeling ravenously hungry. This lasted for months, and was to the point I'd eat 'till I looked pregnant, and still I felt famished. I could make a 96oz casserole disappear in under 15 minutes. No bowl - I just ate right out of the pot.

As others have said, your body knows it needs nutrients. As long as you're feeding it right, I'd go with it. Have you looked into amaranth? Just 1/4 cup has the protein of an egg, and lots of fiber and minerals too. Makes a nice cereal, or use it like rice or couscous.

You mentioned green shakes. I hope those are gluten-free, as I've read many have gluten-type grasses in them.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Hi RiceGuy!

Im juicing my own with a brand new juicer: watercress, celery, cucumbers, endive, etc. No wheatgrass, Barley Grass!! And I wouldnt buy the powdered stuff anyway. It is dead no matter what they say about "live enzymes".

Thank you for checking!

I have tried amaranth before and didnt care for it. Tastes like dirt to me.....