This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Get Sick From Wine?

RunnerGirl4

RunnerGirl4 Newbie

My doctor put me on a gluten-free diet 2 weeks ago. Last night I ate out at a restaurant with co-workers and I had fish, veggies and other non-gluten foods. I also had wine (2 glasses - which is normal for me). I've been sick all day today. I don't think there is any food left in me. I felt nauseas, couldn't focus or concentrate and was so tired I left work early to come home and sleep. I really did my best to stay away from the gluten foods at dinner. Do you think I am experiencing cc or do you think it could be the wine? I know wine is gluten-free, but I read in the book "Dangerous Grains" that you should avoid alcohol when your gut is healing. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm new to this and would love to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

It could be the sulfates used to kill the bacteria in the wine processing. I can't drink any wine that has been processed in that manner. There are three or four wines Organic that does not use that process... Could be alot more that I don't know about.hth

gfp Enthusiast

Since 2 glasses is normal for you I wold very strongly suspect that you got cross contaminated.

Indeed with or without the wine this is an ever present risk when we eat out.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Could have been either! I can't drink wine, or any alcohol, for that matter. Did you check to see if the restuarant knew what they were doing when cooking gluten free? If they are well known for gluten free food, then it probably was not the food, if you are just thinking you ordered something that should be gluten free, then probably you are dealing with a cross contamination issue. Many celiac's can not drink wine though.

Leslie C. Newbie

My doctor told me to stay away from wine for at least a year. This is how long it will probably take for my gut to heal. He also told me to try to avoid peanuts, dairy, and soy. Even though they don't contain gluten, they can aggrevate the gut.

RunnerGirl4 Newbie

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I think I need to let waiters know I'm on a gluten-free diet. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it because I was with co-workers.

Ugh...this is hard and I don't like feeling socially "odd" and restricted because of this diet!

I'm avoiding wine for the next several months at least too...and I'll look for the organic wines if I go back to drinking it. I really appreciate your help!

babysteps Contributor
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I think I need to let waiters know I'm on a gluten-free diet. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it because I was with co-workers.

Ugh...this is hard and I don't like feeling socially "odd" and restricted because of this diet!

I'm avoiding wine for the next several months at least too...and I'll look for the organic wines if I go back to drinking it. I really appreciate your help!

I am getting used to giving 'the speech' - to the waiter. Check Open Original Shared Link for a helpful 'restricted diner' protocol.

I admit I don't usually contact the chef, but I do note that I'm gluten-free when making reservations, or if someone else has made the reservation I call separately to say "one of the diners on the Jones reservation Thursday 7:30pm for 6 people is gluten-free". Opentable for reservations works well, you can include a note about gluten-free and it seems to get to the server more reliably than when noted by phone.

Gluten can be anywhere, so if the restaurant doesn't know you're gluten-free, even if you think you're ordering just meat and veggies, you can almost guarantee being glutened.

I usually say something like "I must eat gluten-free, that means no wheat or flour, no barley, and no rye or any related products, like soy sauce and miso" (yes, there are some gluten-free soy sauces and perhaps even gluten-free miso, but if the kitchen is that aware they'll let me know!). I also let the server know that I am open to substitution and that it's okay if it takes some time to double check via back-and-forth with the kitchen.

Don't worry, it *is* possible to eat out & not be glutened! After the first few times you won't even feel self conscious giving your 'speech' in front of a group :)

You will also get good at 'guessing' which menu items are most likely to be gluten-free or at least easily adjusted to be gluten-free. And you'll know that when the server says the meatballs are gluten-free because no gluten ingredients are in the menu description, that the server is probably wrong and please could they check with the kitchen! If you like to sample others' dishes, you will have to ask whether they are gluten-free or not (easiest done after the dishes are brought to the table, unless the other diners want gluten-free too).

On wine, it may or may not have been the culprit, but if you are in early stages of healing it could have exacerbated the reaction. If it is easy to give up for 6 months, go for it. If you really enjoy wine with your meals, you can always try testing every couple months or so...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

katebuggie28 Apprentice

I tried the wine route when I had to give up the beer. I was soo sick all day and night. It was terrible.

gfp Enthusiast
Don't worry, it *is* possible to eat out & not be glutened! After the first few times you won't even feel self conscious giving your 'speech' in front of a group :)

It is possible but its always pot luck! We make our own luck.. as you describe but it still involves a lot of luck not to get glutened if you eat out regularly.

Sorry it's tough but ...

Bucsfan11 Rookie
My doctor put me on a gluten-free diet 2 weeks ago. Last night I ate out at a restaurant with co-workers and I had fish, veggies and other non-gluten foods. I also had wine (2 glasses - which is normal for me). I've been sick all day today. I don't think there is any food left in me. I felt nauseas, couldn't focus or concentrate and was so tired I left work early to come home and sleep. I really did my best to stay away from the gluten foods at dinner. Do you think I am experiencing cc or do you think it could be the wine? I know wine is gluten-free, but I read in the book "Dangerous Grains" that you should avoid alcohol when your gut is healing. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm new to this and would love to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance!! :)

Hey! I too experience symptoms like that when I drink wine, or any alcoholic beverage for that matter. I usually would drink a glass or two of wine with dinner time to time, and when I started the gluten free thing I could not handle wine anymore, not even one glass. I am also having problems with gluten free beer(I have a post I started about that topic on this forum). I am not sure if its because as celiac's our guts cannot handle the alcohol or what, but I get sick nonetheless from it. Also, it might be CC because eating out can be dangerous, even if you order a gluten free meal, such as fish and veggies because the fish could have been cooked in the some place as something that was breaded etc. I hope you find out what is wrong and good luck! My best wishes, Sean.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Hey RunnerGirl....your signature could be mine.

I cannot tolerate wine. It gives me ocular migraines. Scary. I avoid at all costs.

Archived