Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
mushroom

Soya Lecithin

Rate this topic

Okay, I know this isn't gluten, but since I have had to go soy-free also, every time I see the word soy in any shape or form I run a country mile. Of course, this has included soya lecithin, but I have been getting inklings in some posts that this can perhaps be differentiated from actual soy products. Is this so or is it just as deadly for those of us who are sensitive?

This is a very important issue to me (a chocaholic) since it makes the difference between eating chocolate and not eating any chocolate except Lindt 70% dark, which is okay but very limiting. Like no choc. chip cookies, etc.

What's the story?

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Probably the only thing you can do is try some chocolate with lecithin in it. My family was intolerant to soy but do fine with lecithin now. We were totally soy free for over a year though. We will eat stuff with soyoil (like mayo) when we eat at other people's houses since we don't want to put them through any more of a headache than gluten free. We are violently intolerant though and the long break may have allowed us some minor indulgences.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

If you have a soy allergy, you might be able to eat soy lecithin or soybean oil. Or you might not. Or you could simply buy soy free chocolates. Here are two places where you can get them.

http://www.wheyoutchocolate.com/

http://www.soyfreesales.com/

You do have to make sure that the product you buy is also gluten-free because they do sell some gluten containing items.

Thank you both for your responses. I think I am too "fresh" to attempt the soy lecithin yet--maybe a little further down the road since I am not ready for the itching yet. Julie, the soyfreesales site does offer some soy- and gluten-free choc. chips. I will order some when in U.S. and then I can make cookies!

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Hi, 

I am new here and was searching the forums for anything to do with soy lecithin.

I'm gluten intolerant and have been gluten free now for 2 years. Throughout that time I have felt quite ill on quite a few occasions - aches in my neck/shoulders, arms and legs and just a general feeling of lethargy - the kind of feeling that you get when you have the flu. I'd always put this down to the fact that I'd maybe been glutened but I could never work out what was causing it. 

Last week I was reading that this may be being caused by soy lecithins, which are found in many products. I decided to try eliminating any foods containing them - I was surprised how many things do! 

All week I have felt fine.....until this afternoon. I ate a bowl of Whole Earth Cornflakes not realising that they contain soy lecithins and I feel awful once more. I am now in no doubt that this is the cause of the aches and pains. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced similar?

An update on this. Yesterday I popped a square of chocolate into my mouth and before I had even swallowed it I realised that it contained soy lecithin. I didn't actually swallow any but last night I felt horrible again....aches in my arms, legs and neck. I am convinced it's the lecithin - I do seem ok when I eat soy though although I try to avoid that if I can.