This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Goat's Milk And Cheeses

lizard00

lizard00 Enthusiast

How many of you guys on a DF or CF diet can tolerate goat's cheeses? My dairy rxn is a milder version of my gluten rxn, so I'm begrudgingly giving up dairy. I tried some (a small piece) goat's jack cheese tonight and it seemed to be ok, just wondering if it's wishful thinking and if I actually try it on say, a sandwich or something, it'd make me sick.

Thanks guys

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor

I was pretty reluctant to try goat cheese since casein-free worked so well for me, but after seeing so many ppl say they were ok w/ goat but not cow, and researching showed that the goat casein was quite different, I DID try goat cheese and now have it pretty regularly w/out problems.

Hope it works for you. :)

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i really miss cheese. haven't had much success with cheese substitutes. i have only ever had 2 things made with goat's cheese that i liked - a cheesecake made with half cream cheese, and half goat's cheese, and mashed potatoes with a little goat's cheese. any suggestions for good recipes? i tried it on a pizza the other day, and ended up picking all the pieces of meat and veggies off, and just eating those :P

lizard00 Enthusiast
i really miss cheese. haven't had much success with cheese substitutes. i have only ever had 2 things made with goat's cheese that i liked - a cheesecake made with half cream cheese, and half goat's cheese, and mashed potatoes with a little goat's cheese. any suggestions for good recipes? i tried it on a pizza the other day, and ended up picking all the pieces of meat and veggies off, and just eating those :P

I happen to love goat cheese. I ate it waaay before I went gluten-free just because I enjoyed it, but had never tried the other varieties other than the most common soft cheese.

I did make a beet salad with goat cheese that was fantastic. The tanginess of the goat cheese really worked with the sweetness of the beet. It was arugula, beets (red), and goat cheese with a dressing made of a little sugar, a little bit of mustard and some olive oil. I may be leaving something out, but you can find it here

Open Original Shared Link

Have you tried the other varieties? Like the cheddar, or jack?

missy'smom Collaborator

I think the true test is to eliminate all dairy for a while , then add something back and see what happens. For years I thought I could tolerate a little of this or that but now I can see exactly how I react to a bit of butter etc. My reaction is often a bit delayed too. The next day I'll have softer stools or get a sore on my skin.

Used to eat goat cheese before gluten-free. There is one. Called "The Drunken Goat" I think that is bit harder than the usual soft one in the log. The rind is soaked in red wine. It is good on a salad. If I remember the proceedure correctly, you can also coat slices of the logs in breadcrumbs or very finely chopped nuts and olive oil and put them under the broiler briefly then slide onto the salad for a warm goat cheese croquette. Whole Foods in LA area used to have a great sheeps milk feta too.

aikiducky Apprentice

I seem to be ok with some goats cheeses and less fine with others. I read somewhere that different goat populations can have different proteins in their milk so how you tolerate a cheese might depend on where it comes from.

I stopped eating goats cheese altogether somewhere last year, I just suddenly didn't like the smell any more. Smells like milk gone bad to me. :) Dunno if I would react to it now.

At least here in Holland you can also buy goats cheese that is like regular hard gouda type cheese, so you can slice it to have on bread etc.

Pauliina

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Used to eat goat cheese before gluten-free. There is one. Called "The Drunken Goat" I think that is bit harder than the usual soft one in the log. The rind is soaked in red wine. It is good on a salad. If I remember the proceedure correctly, you can also coat slices of the logs in breadcrumbs or very finely chopped nuts and olive oil and put them under the broiler briefly then slide onto the salad for a warm goat cheese croquette. Whole Foods in LA area used to have a great sheeps milk feta too.

this actually sounds really good! kinda like a mozzarella stick :)

I seem to be ok with some goats cheeses and less fine with others. I read somewhere that different goat populations can have different proteins in their milk so how you tolerate a cheese might depend on where it comes from.

I stopped eating goats cheese altogether somewhere last year, I just suddenly didn't like the smell any more. Smells like milk gone bad to me. :) Dunno if I would react to it now.

At least here in Holland you can also buy goats cheese that is like regular hard gouda type cheese, so you can slice it to have on bread etc.

Pauliina

kinda smells the same to me too! i loved gouda cheese! wish you could mail me some :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived