Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest sru_gal_8504

Equesterians With Celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

hi,

yes horse lover here....bit i had to recently sell my new horse. glutened everytime i was around him. on hair, manure, hays, grains, and dust. i am sorry but i tried. i was glutened so bad i for got i had my spurs on(brain fog) and jumped on bareback. i spurred him hard accidently and i was thrown against an arena wall and broke my shoulder, arm, and ribs 3 weeks ago.

i am so bummed.

best wishes,

sue t

Yes - and I wonder if this is why I am not recovering on gluten-free diet ? I take care to wash hands and try not to breath the dust ...but its hard not to.....

Solutions anyone ? I am thinking of changing to all lucerne hay.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Hi!

I have an off-the-track TB mare, 8 years old...we got her from UConn's auction, they tried to make her into a polo pony which terrorized her, so she's definitely been a project horse.

I've never had a problem gluten-wise with her, my mom feeds her grain, and I'm just careful about not touching my face and washing my hands as soon as I come in from the barn (which I would do even w/o celiac!) I probably breathe a little bit in, but I've never had a noticeble reaction.

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

<-----My girls were both in Pony Club and it was a wonderful time in their lives. I was a very proud mom! I have had horses for most of my life.

I'm glad that you all have a special place in your heart for horses.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

This is an interesting read:

http://www.celiaccentral.org/Research/Rese...30/vobId__1488/

I have chickens and use a mask and gloves and have noticed a significant difference.

I have both chickens and horses and now also use a mask and gloves everytime I'm in the barn. I kept getting "mystery" glutenings before I started using the mask. I put the mask on first, before gloves, barn coat, boots etc., and then reverse the process and take the mask off last and immediately wash my hands.

I don't ride though, so I don't know what you'd do then. Maybe riding is ok if you're not in the barn and/or touching the feed?

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Even with the mask and gloves I wasn't feeling quite up to par so when we built our new chicken coop I started mixing my own feed sans WBRO and am finally feeling normal again. Plus, I hated having to suit up every time I went near the animals. It took my husband 4 days to scrub all of the wheat flour off of everything in the feed room of our barn.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

hi,

yes horse lover here....bit i had to recently sell my new horse. glutened everytime i was around him. on hair, manure, hays, grains, and dust. i am sorry but i tried. i was glutened so bad i for got i had my spurs on(brain fog) and jumped on bareback. i spurred him hard accidently and i was thrown against an arena wall and broke my shoulder, arm, and ribs 3 weeks ago.

i am so bummed.

best wishes,

sue t

Another horse lover here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my DH leased me a horse for a month, I wore an N95 mask for grooming (looked ridiculous but didn't care!)and gloves. It worked OK.

SueT- I am SO sorry- that's awful- maybe when you heal?

I've read (somewhere) that horses can be switched to a gluten-free feed (corn and other stuff).

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Even with the mask and gloves I wasn't feeling quite up to par so when we built our new chicken coop I started mixing my own feed sans WBRO and am finally feeling normal again. Plus, I hated having to suit up every time I went near the animals. It took my husband 4 days to scrub all of the wheat flour off of everything in the feed room of our barn.

Janet, what do you put in your chicken feed? Where do you buy it?

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

I am currently using Fertrell's Organic Poultry Nutri-Balancer and their recipe without oats in their feeders but am researching a few alternatives with our local extension service because nutribalancer is extremely hard to get. I also feed them a hodgepodge of brown rice, cooked beans, peas, flax seed, kelp, sunflower seeds, kitchen leftovers, etc. and free range them during the day. As I'm sure you know they'll eat just about anything so the only thing you have be concerned with is getting the right nutrients and protein ratio.

This site is helpful http://www.lionsgrip.com/intro.html

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

I am currently using Fertrell's Organic Poultry Nutri-Balancer and their recipe without oats in their feeders but am researching a few alternatives with our local extension service because nutribalancer is extremely hard to get. I also feed them a hodgepodge of brown rice, cooked beans, peas, flax seed, kelp, sunflower seeds, kitchen leftovers, etc. and free range them during the day. As I'm sure you know they'll eat just about anything so the only thing you have be concerned with is getting the right nutrients and protein ratio.

This site is helpful http://www.lionsgrip.com/intro.html

Thank you...although my to-do list doesn't need anything else added to it. :o:angry:

~Laura

Horse lover here!!! My 22 year old gelding just passed on this past summer from cancer. my avatar is him though.

I never had a problem with gluten through hay, feed, or dust at the barn. In fact I was way healthier before I lost him, perhaps that's all in my head though, from grief. Mom is allergic to hay, horses, etc. so she just made me shower after each barn visit and nobody had trouble.

If anyone knows of a place in Atlanta Georgia area that needs a volunteer helper for their horses, let me know!

Thyroid goiter, ADHD, illness induced depression, Celiac disease, DH, migraines, Nonverbal Learning Disability (Autism Spectrum Disorder), fertility problems (cause unknown)

gluten-free since October 2006, Nonverbal Learning Disability symptoms gone since May 2007

Hi everybody

A horsey thread--I love it! I keep my two horses at home and ride often, usually trailer out to meet friends. I have never had any problem getting glutened around the horses. I feed a low-grain feed that has only a teensy amount of wheat and no barley, rye or oats. And I wash my hands when I come in from the barn. I do not use straw, which I have reason to believe would be a problem, since most straw around here is wheat or rye. I'm glad I don't have to board where I couldn't control such things.

I am amazed that most of the new "low-carb" horse feeds have wheat as the main ingredient.

Those of you experiencing glutening from horses, where do you think it is coming from?

BTW I have been gluten-free for 21 months. I had been getting weaker and weaker, even after going gluten-free. After 4 months on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet I started growing muscles again--it has made a big difference in my riding and ability to handle issues with my big bossy horse (the other one is a peach).

Gluten free 3/07 self diagnosed

Specific Carbohydrate Diet 4/08--yes, it works.

Hi,

I work at a stable with about 25 horses give or take. Its great there, I love it. When I was first told I had Celiac, I panicked about feeding the horses, but even with all the dust from the silo pouring out the grain, the most I get is a headache if the dust is overwhelming on days when the silo is ready to be filled.

I've been on the gluten free diet since May of 07, that first summer at the barn was mostly, "is this okay, is this safe," and so on but at the moment everything is under control. And since I'm terrified of heights I never have to go into the hay loft. The wash stall is my best friend sometimes.

When it comes to showing or being at the barn in general, I pack my own food and bring a cooler along with my tack and everything else.

I had no idea this would be an issue. I didn't even think about it. I ride but not as often as I'd like and I don't own a horse...I haven't ridden since being diagnosed so I guess that's something to take into consideration.